What's new

Watch out on eBay...

A few months ago I read an otherwise informative article on historic straight razors. But at least twice during the article the author made the statement that “straight razor collectors are all really straight razor scales collectors and the brand, shape, and condition of the blade itself is meaningless”. Since I have the complete opposite view (quite happy to buy a vintage straight with a decent blade that I can make shave ready if it comes with busted scales that I can replace) I thought that this was a bit mystifying. My final take-away was “I hope this is true, if so it may minimize the number of bidding wars I get into on eBay!”

I’ve only fallen down the rabbit hole in the past year, so no idea what truth there is to the author’s statements. But certainly on eBay there is a lot of asymmetrical knowledge. Sometimes that means you have ridiculous asking prices for razors and sometimes it means that you can get a great deal on something whose value is not appreciated by the seller. Caveat emptor!

I would agree, I am looking at the shape of the blade and could care less about the scales. Most scales are plastic/resin material. The only place I could agree with that author is if the scales are of some rare material like 'ivory' outside of that I can not think of other materials that would excite me...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1615649253852.png

What a find!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Having gotten into sourdough baking the past year... actually some bakers do use razors to score bread :) - its called a lame, usually a handle with a disposable SE or DE blade set with the edge parallel to the handle (similar to a Japanese kamisori). And yes it really does make a difference. I usually get by with a knife (a Japanese blue #2 petty which has an edge as close to a straight razor as I can manage) but you do really want true razor sharpness when scoring a loaf of sourdough.

I just use a Feather DE blade for that. I dip it in olive oil before each cut so it doesn't stick and pull. I have a couple of those disposable "kami-sorry" (because I usually manage to cut myself with it if I try to shave with one!) and if I ever find them I will try one on my bread.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Having gotten into sourdough baking the past year... actually some bakers do use razors to score bread :) - its called a lame, usually a handle with a disposable SE or DE blade set with the edge parallel to the handle (similar to a Japanese kamisori). And yes it really does make a difference. I usually get by with a knife (a Japanese blue #2 petty which has an edge as close to a straight razor as I can manage) but you do really want true razor sharpness when scoring a loaf of sourdough.

’Lame’ is French for ‘blade’.

This is true but I made an offer for it as I only wanted the inlays and the rest was scrap, as I told the seller because he had it up for restore said to him how can you restore that as it to far gone.

This is true but I made an offer for it as I only wanted the inlays and the rest was scrap, as I told the seller because he had it up for restore said to him how can you restore that as it to far gone.
Dubl Ducks are rather common, and the information on the shank could be used to find a correct blade for it that is restored or restorable, that is, if you wanted to keep it original.
I mean, they are beautiful scales, but they are, after all, specifically "Dubl Duck Wonderedge" scales, as indicated by the logo-type.

Top Bottom