What's new

Washita Thread. Show off, discuss, etc.

Looks like a washita to me. It in a homemade box but does not mean much. I have several in early labeled boxes with little effort and conditioning can easily be in the 5-7K range. The early pike Washitas can be real gems
It feels like a washita and has all the characteristics of the really old washitas I have, here is where my confusion comes from. Once I got it out of the box and flipped it over iwas shocked to see a label. This was the label......

20210923_173710.jpg

I don't know man. I don't know. What I DO know is it's a great little stone and regardless what you call a rose it will smell just as sweet. I also know it's going to be a booger to lap.

@timwcic if you zoom in, with high resolution, on the unused white part by the label you can see the "pepper" in the translucent amber stone matrix. Weird stuff. I've never seen an old pike soft arkansas either, and I've looked.

Looks like a washita to me. I have several in early labeled boxes with little effort and conditioning can easily be in the 5-7K range. The early pike Washitas can be real gems
I've got one I can make feel better than an 8k as far as the shave goes. I alternate between light spine leading strokes and lots of stropping to finish it. It was a pretty great shave tbh. I could get by only shaving of my big rusted color translucent one. I love these stones, it's about all I've been buying lately. I love arks in general but good washitas are something special.

Looks like a washita to me. I have several in early labeled boxes with little effort and conditioning can easily be in the 5-7K range. The early pike Washitas can be real gems
I've got one I can make feel better than an 8k as far as the shave goes. I alternate between light spine leading strokes and lots of stropping to finish it. It was a pretty great shave tbh. I could get by only shaving of my big rusted color translucent one. I love these stones, it's about all I've been buying lately. I love arks in general but good washitas are something special.

@timwcic @SliceOfLife @Bowmaker Did pike always sell hard, soft, and washita stones or at some point did they only sell hard and soft at the beginning? Before they could make a mint marketing washita stones perhaps?
I think Washita being exploited by pike actually predates hard and certainly soft ark being exploited by them.

Early era soft arks were similar, sometimes indistinguishable from washita. I suspect it started as an alternative way to market Washita... then as time went on, they started using it to sell less hard/pure hard arkansas material instead.

edit: From "Sharpening Stones: History and Development"

"About 1815 the first quarrying operations were performed in Arkansas where about 400 lbs of what is known as Washita rock was taken out... The Arkansas stone did not come into use until several years afterward, being considered a barber's stone and too high priced for common use."

Last edited:
I think Washita being exploited by pike actually predates hard and certainly soft ark being exploited by them.

Early era soft arks were similar, sometimes indistinguishable from washita. I suspect it started as an alternative way to market Washita... then as time went on, they started using it to sell less hard/pure hard arkansas material instead.
That makes sense. Because I'd have been willing to bet a finger that that stone is a Washita. Either way I've got really fine and soft tie-dyed ark that I love as much as my Washitas, because it preforms. The kind that gets passed off a new washitas that are orange and purple. For $30 any pike stone is a win. I've payed more than that for a 1x3 pike wedge so whatever I'm tickled pink but in more than excited to learn more history of them. What used to be sold as soft arks as call hard Arks now right? That makes sense because that stone is hard. i think it might have almost pushed a Dimond plate over the edge last night so I get to play with the SiC soon.

20210830_084242.jpg

edit: From "Sharpening Stones: History and Development"

"About 1815 the first quarrying operations were performed in Arkansas where about 400 lbs of what is known as Washita rock was taken out... The Arkansas stone did not come into use until several years afterward, being considered a barber's stone and too high priced for common use."
So from that I take that your guess is probably right on, that they make it soft because at the time soft arks commanded higher prices. My next job is to figure out what's on the lid!

Any guesses? I can’t make out the label View attachment 1333652
I'd guess a lww or no.1 from the looks of the stone, I can't make out the label either. It looks like it's probably fine/medium-hard. Either way that's a great looking stone! I bought this one last night and I look forward to working with it. Does that box look familiar to anyone? I recognize it but I don't know from where.

Does anyone else get weird and crazy looks when they tell people they're "going home to mess around with my stones"? God help this degenerate world.

Screenshot_20210923-211144_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Wid
20210925_221355.jpg

20210925_221416.jpg

Here is my labeled Lily White and my other stone I call Washita semi cleaned up. They have taken over all my knife sharpening lately and are a pure pleasure to use. The boxed LW is firmly stuck and Ive never soaked it, quite hard feeling and the surface reflects light like a hard Arkansas would when polished. Oil does not soak into it readily. It functions very closely to standard Arkansas stone for me but seems to work faster while also not getting clogged.

The second stone was fully smooth black when I got it cheap (if you dont count the multiple other synthetic oilstones I mistakenly have bought beforhand into the cost...) and took some work to make usable. It is a bit bigger and has a SG of around 2.2. The teeth really dig in to knifes with a bit of pressure, starts to turn black again quickly! Im not sure what "grade" Washita it is but I believe it is an older one and works well before the Lily White.

I am glad I get to use these stones as it has kept my HAD in control regarding oilstones for a little while now.

20210925_221659.jpg

20210925_221656.jpg

View attachment 1334462
View attachment 1334463

Here is my labeled Lily White and my other stone I call Washita semi cleaned up. They have taken over all my knife sharpening lately and are a pure pleasure to use. The boxed LW is firmly stuck and Ive never soaked it, quite hard feeling and the surface reflects light like a hard Arkansas would when polished. Oil does not soak into it readily. It functions very closely to standard Arkansas stone for me but seems to work faster while also not getting clogged.

The second stone was fully smooth black when I got it cheap (if you dont count the multiple other synthetic oilstones I mistakenly have bought beforhand into the cost...) and took some work to make usable. It is a bit bigger and has a SG of around 2.2. The teeth really dig in to knifes with a bit of pressure, starts to turn black again quickly! Im not sure what "grade" Washita it is but I believe it is an older one and works well before the Lily White.

I am glad I get to use these stones as it has kept my HAD in control regarding oilstones for a little while now.

View attachment 1334465
View attachment 1334464
Is the "eater" pretty soft, fine and smooth? I've got one that feels like silk but it munches steel. With pressure and stropping I can get my pocket knife to treetop on it. I think it's a washita, it's got to be a lower grade though, it's pure white when it's clean(never, it goes where I go) but it's got some sand pockets in it, I've never seen a rock like it but for a cheap, junk rock it's great. It was broken off a larger stone..

That lily white looks like a treasure, I'd like to get a really old pike one at some point. I can see pepper pretty constantly through that stone, looks like it's got teeth even thought it's really fine.i find myself doing most of my honing of anything on one of my Washitas. I really enjoy them.

20210915_201947.jpg20210915_201952.jpgView attachment 1334497

Last edited:
Is the "eater" pretty soft, fine and smooth? I've got one that feels like silk but it munches steel. With pressure and stropping I can get my pocket knife to treetop on it. I think it's a washita, it's got to be a lower grade though, it's pure white when it's clean(never, it goes where I go) but it's got some sand pockets in it, I've never seen a rock like it but for a cheap, junk rock it's great. It was broken off a larger stone..

That lily white looks like a treasure, I'd like to get a really old pike one at some point. I can see pepper pretty constantly through that stone, looks like it's got teeth even thought it's really fine.i find myself doing most of my honing of anything on one of my Washitas. I really enjoy them.

View attachment 1334494View attachment 1334496View attachment 1334497

Im not sure if id call it smooth currently but it might be there with correct prep work. Here's what it looked like when I got it, slicked black:
20210925_231328.jpg

Amazingly even in that condition it actually sharpened fine! I lapped it with a few sheets of 100 and my XC dmt, so Ive left it maybe on the coarse range side. It was harder to lap than expected, only a ~2mm dish and still took 30+ minutes and alota elbow grease. I really need to get some SiC powder. Using waterstone scale Id say it functions around 700-1500 grit range, even after a dozen knives. The LW is around 1-3k?

View attachment 1334462
View attachment 1334463

View attachment 1334465
View attachment 1334464

Natty wooden box on the LW! That's lovely :)

They both full 8x2s...?

Natty wooden box on the LW! That's lovely :)

They both full 8x2s...?

The boxed LW is a tad smaller, by about 1/8th an inch while the other one is a full 8x2 and came with only half the box. To get the LW out i probably would have destroyed the box so I stopped, likely the reason why my other one only has a top remaining!

The boxed LW is a tad smaller, by about 1/8th an inch while the other one is a full 8x2 and came with only half the box. To get the LW out i probably would have destroyed the box so I stopped, likely the reason why my other one only has a top remaining!

I hadn't noticed this til recently but the boxed/mounted LWs were a touch smaller, and sold as such:

Screenshot (6).png

Thanks @RobbyC and @timwcic for the info above! (And yes that’s what I meant with my slightly lazy abbreviations). It sounds like perhaps after the takeover they dispensed with the additional quality differentiations that Pike used.

Here’s a 1946 advert, which lists only LW and No.1. Interestingly the price jump between the two at that point doesn’t seem massive:

View attachment 1314389
I was looking back through this thread and saw this again and it caught my attention because I almost bought a lww slip stone a couple days ago. As I read down I notice "the sportsman" I wish I had a bucket full of these in 4 or 5 inch. I'd never *need* to carry another stone at work. Im sure I still would, I carry a half dozen now in a bag and 2 on my person. Those are just the natural sharpeners. I hate dull blades.

Slurry stones Tim! :)

---

It was more difficult than I thought taking these pictures, but they show what I imagine is a ‘normal’ level of translucency (at least this is similar to all the other Washitas I’ve looked at), compared to the Pike stone. With the exception of hard Arks it’s the most translucent stone I have.

View attachment 1321204View attachment 1321205

I must say though I’m not completely in love with it just yet. It’s almost like a hard ark finish, but with feel and speed more similar to a Washita (I know! And this comes mere days after realising that my sterling silver croquet hoops were too shiny). Thing is - I don’t necessarily want a hard ark finish on a knife most of the time - I like the bite of a Washita.

Maybe I’ll understand it more with use, and nice to have a different option I suppose. It’ll be a very good de-burring / microbevel stone I imagine.
Have you run a razor across it yet? May not be a kitchen knife stone, may be a razor stone. Razors are awsome with hard ark finishes and I bet if it wasn't getting fine enough to shave do a bunch of spine leading strokes really lightly and strop the life out of it. If wager you'd be shocked what you're left with. Technique is the deal breaker in that situation.

I just tried it on an old pocket knife, and it got it shaving arm hair without much trouble. It’s fiddly being so small though.
I was going to say I did the same with mine and being small was awkward at first. Pulled it out to take a picture and apparently it hit my black ark when I set it down and hard ark wins every time. Gluing it with gorilla super glue right now. This is why my backups have backups. Guess I might try a little one from dans.

20210927_133648.jpg20210927_134128.jpg

Top Bottom