What's new

Ohio Bluestones - Queer Creek, Berea, Bear Creek, etc.

Ah right. So are these low quality 'Emery' stones a brand? Or just a type? What are they like? I've had quite a few low quality AlOx/SiC stones, but never one marked or stamped 'emery'.

It'd be interesting to know whether you could still get actual Naxos Emery whetstones that haven't been crushed up and re-formulated. Like Mr. Pliny presumably had...

Behold my nomination for worst sharpening stone ever, and they must of sold millions of them.

s-l500.jpg

I have this guy shipping to me. MONTANA OIL and WATER STONE . It sure looks like a queer creek type stone to my eyes. Or I just threw away money due to Hone Acquisition Disorder... Normaly would be scared off by the pathetic Emery word but the WATER STONE part was interesting.
View attachment 1643651View attachment 1643652

Well as I guessed the MONTANA OIL and WATER STONE is Berea /bear creek type stone, so unless this geological rock formation extends to Montana then there was likely some clever marketing going on. It is a very nice stone finer than Queer Creek. Pretty close to my Bear Creek. It has some stripes running along the stone which is cool and a bit unique for these stones I think? 2.36sg

20230428_220057.jpg
20230428_220107.jpg

I have a Norton Queer Creek of current manufacture. Can set a bevel on a razor but is quite slow and needs to be constantly dressed as it loses its bite fairly quickly. Not a good apexing stone, seems to shed a little grit so never gets a really keen edge. Makes a good kasumi/pre-polishing stone for clad knives however…

IMG_2184.jpeg

Top Bottom