What's new

Washita Thread. Show off, discuss, etc.

Gracias!

I did wonder whether the new type of soaking degreaser I’m using might not be all that good, so chucked a couple of Lily Whites in too. And actually I think it is quite good - this is definitely the cleanest I’ve ever had these two. Particularly the old Pike one on the top, which had been a kinda caramel colour for a while.

View attachment 1457003

FWIW @Legion - this appears to be M10's homegrown, all-Australian, take on Simple Green. It's not quite as concentrated as SG I don't think, but seems to be doing the job on (at least some of) my stones:

IMG-8005.JPG

@cotedupy , Burn a hardwood until it's white ash , collect the ash and slowly add water until you've got a manageable consistency and soak your stone in that. Thats potassium hydroxide.. it's what was used as the strong base in soap before lye became really available across the frontier in the United States(and at various times throughout history all over the planet) to average people with no knowledge of chemistry. Lye is *sodium* hydroxide and far more caustic and dangerous. Use hardwood ash for the strong base instead of buying poison chemicals AND you get to enjoy a badass campfire, source supplies for DEEP degreasing stones, and have plenty of time to *enjoy a campfire* and have a 4 finger glass of Scotch... gentlemen....our ancestors, about 2 centuries ago, were probably the most clever humans to have ever existed, all over the world. Clever doesn't mean good necessarily but they were all quick, and tenacious. Even the ones I know that were 80/90 years old 25 years ago, were a stock that can not be replicated. Everyone was at war but human invention was push incredibly far ahead in an extremely short amount of time..

Oh interesting!

What about ash from lumpwood charcoal? Should be the same, right? It's made from hardwood I think... I've got feck loads of that the entire time off the egg bbq.

Slim pickings on Ausbay of late, but this nice 6x2 arrived today. Quite obviously a Washita in the pics, though @Legion let me have at it, so I was the only bidder.

IMG-8456.JPG

SG atm is 2.42, but given the look, feel and translucency of it - I expect this will end up mid to high 2.3s. Popped out of the box and the underside wasn't used, so will be good to go later...

IMG-8464.jpg

Slim pickings on Ausbay of late, but this nice 6x2 arrived today. Quite obviously a Washita in the pics, though @Legion let me have at it, so I was the only bidder.

View attachment 1468375

SG atm is 2.42, but given the look, feel and translucency of it - I expect this will end up mid to high 2.3s. Popped out of the box and the underside wasn't used, so will be good to go later...

View attachment 1468376
I bet you love that one.

View attachment 1468375

View attachment 1468376

Beautiful. These are certainly the coolest type of whetstone, always make me think of a boiled translucent when peering into the structure. People might pay the most for lily whites but this is the most unique. I highly doubt anyone will ever mine a stone like this out of the ground again.

Beautiful. These are certainly the coolest type of whetstone, always make me think of a boiled translucent when peering into the structure. People might pay the most for lily whites but this is the most unique. I highly doubt anyone will ever mine a stone like this out of the ground again.
I have a couple and they are indeed unlike any other stone. My no 1 is half as fast but about as fine. I think they are far older than the Pike/norton Washita but have no proof for that.

It is indeed another gem this one, most of my favourite Washitas have tended to look like this. I'd rate it around average in terms of coarse/fine, and on the faster side of medium. A slightly harder stone than the previous one I posted on this thread, with seemingly larger pores.

IMG-8468.jpg

IMG-8469.jpg

IMG-8470.JPG

It is indeed another gem this one, most of my favourite Washitas have tended to look like this. I'd rate it around average in terms of coarse/fine, and on the faster side of medium. A slightly harder stone than the previous one I posted on this thread, with seemingly larger pores.

View attachment 1468800

View attachment 1468801

View attachment 1468799
They're fantastic. I took one of my old ones out today and made it look about like yours. I didn't need to take off quite as much steel. I did slurry it with a diamond plate and was pleased. After various slates I was having trouble putting teeth back on a couple work knives(that need aggressive edges) without wrecking my hands. Washita slurry is cool stuff and not something I've tested too much.

Just unpacked this tonight.

It was advertised as a Washita, but clearly a dual-hone. I am hoping a Washita-India, but will need some cleaning to figure it out. Some flaking on the white side and a few chips so will need some effort to get back into shape. No significant dishing. I admit that I was particularly attracted by the box, which has no label on the outside, but a Pike label on the inside mentioning Sperm Oil. I suppose it might not be the original box, but the stone does fit pretty snugly. There are some nails that have been added. I’ve not seen that before so not sure if they are original or added later.

F5B1F099-BA44-4E54-88D2-F56C626C8A0E.jpeg
7E553FA4-6105-4A64-8D10-FF0E5E9467AF.jpeg
15FDBCAA-7F22-4816-9C3D-07141B32BC06.jpeg

It was advertised as a Washita, but clearly a dual-hone. I am hoping a Washita-India, but will need some cleaning to figure it out. Some flaking on the white side and a few chips so will need some effort to get back into shape. No significant dishing. I admit that I was particularly attracted by the box, which has no label on the outside, but a Pike label on the inside mentioning Sperm Oil. I suppose it might not be the original box, but the stone does fit pretty snugly. There are some nails that have been added. I’ve not seen that before so not sure if they are original or added later.

View attachment 1469730View attachment 1469731View attachment 1469732

What an interesting stone! The India x Washita combi certainly did exist pre Norton, though they were usually labelled as such from what I've seen, and I don't know of them being that small - they were usually 7 or 8".

Also - 'use sperm oil' is quite an old label. Perhaps @timwcic can weigh in with some more precise dates, but I would have thought pre 1890 ish(?). Norton* only developed synthetic manufacture of Corundum (i.e. Alundum or India stones) in the 1890s I believe. So if the box is original and from before that then it's not going to be an India stone as we know them today.

I don't know if they produced whetstones from natural corundum grit before that though. That would be seriously cool if it was something like that. Really look forward to seeing what comes out after a cleanup...

* India stones were were invented and always manufactured by Norton Abrasives, but sold under licence by Pike.

Once you start cleaning you might find it to be a single stone with a line from the box lip collecting swarf! I've cleaned up a few stones like that. Hard to tell from the photos however.

Also make sure you source some sperm oil before using it!

Once you start cleaning you might find it to be a single stone with a line from the box lip collecting swarf

This would have been my initial thought from the pics. But I know @2bit_collie has had a fair few old Washitas (including a lovely Norton No.1 he sent recently in a swap), so could probably tell if it was that.

@cotedupy may be giving me too much credit! :) I have owned a few Washita, but I have never owned any stone as dirty as this guy. It is in degreaser now, will let everyone know the outcome. However this photo does make it seem that the half-dirty stone guess may be correct. Note the similar colors in the two chips on opposite sides of the stone. The big chip on the clean side may have been there from the beginning with the result that the stone was only ever used on one side. For the record, the stone is 5-7/8 x 1-7/8 x 1inch, though it seems like the rock experts all could figure that out just by looking at it. :)
4F40B473-A274-4979-9C35-97AD546249D0.jpeg

@cotedupy may be giving me too much credit! :) I have owned a few Washita, but I have never owned any stone as dirty as this guy. It is in degreaser now, will let everyone know the outcome. However this photo does make it seem that the half-dirty stone guess may be correct. Note the similar colors in the two chips on opposite sides of the stone. The big chip on the clean side may have been there from the beginning with the result that the stone was only ever used on one side. For the record, the stone is 5-7/8 x 1-7/8 x 1inch, though it seems like the rock experts all could figure that out just by looking at it. :) View attachment 1469974

Ah yeah - that's definitely all the same stone isn't it. Sweet! 6x2s are the best. Dunno why, but probably my favourite size for Washitas :).

timwcic

"Look what I found"

What an interesting stone! The India x Washita combi certainly did exist pre Norton, though they were usually labelled as such from what I've seen, and I don't know of them being that small - they were usually 7 or 8".

Also - 'use sperm oil' is quite an old label. Perhaps @timwcic can weigh in with some more precise dates, but I would have thought pre 1890 ish(?). Norton* only developed synthetic manufacture of Corundum (i.e. Alundum or India stones) in the 1890s I believe. So if the box is original and from before that then it's not going to be an India stone as we know them today.

I don't know if they produced whetstones from natural corundum grit before that though. That would be seriously cool if it was something like that. Really look forward to seeing what comes out after a cleanup...

* India stones were were invented and always manufactured by Norton Abrasives, but sold under licence by Pike.

Nice score, 100% Washita from the late 19th century. IMO, it’s 1/2 dirty and the swarf line fades out in the circled area. The nails are not OEM. The heads are modern, probably a mid century repair to give it some extra character

F80ED55F-C9FC-4842-B788-C21F824169E3.jpeg

Top Bottom