What's new

Was able to make a deal on a new Tatara Masamune so I've got that going for me...

If the Masamune is anything like the Tatara, you will love it. I get very good shaves even on setting 1-2 which have negative blade exposure. Really mild, efficient razor.
Oooh, you spent the big bucks on the adjustable model! Too rich for my blood but it's a really cool design.

It showed up early and I was in the shower about five minutes after I opened the package! ;) Here it is fresh out of the box and before its inaugural shave:

fullsizeoutput_44e8.jpeg

Lovely! I am a big fan of the Masamune. I have been using it exclusively for months (although I got a charcoal goods level 1 this week 😇).

Reactions: CCS
Lovely! I am a big fan of the Masamune. I have been using it exclusively for months (although I got a charcoal goods level 1 this week 😇).
I think that's about it for me and higher end razors. My Feather was an obvious choice for me some years ago but the Tatara line is so elegantly different, I just had to have one. One other razor that's caught my eye but not my willingness to pay is the Blackbird TI. $320 is a bit rich and I have no idea how it shaves; I'm simply looking at the design and saying, yup, that's cool.

I love My Masamune! Also my Feather! These are the exact two I think are perfect. I love the Masamune cause it's maneuverable.
The bowl and the stand are so worth it. Also, Tatara has a distributor in U.S.A cause I ordered from the tatara website and the bowl and cork stand got here in two days. It was shipped from South Carolina I think.

Attachments

• 20221007_173041.jpg
    20221007_173041.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
I love My Masamune! Also my Feather! These are the exact two I think are perfect. I love the Masamune cause it's maneuverable.
The bowl and the stand are so worth it. Also, Tatara has a distributor in U.S.A cause I ordered from the tatara website and the bowl and cork stand got here in two days. It was shipped from South Carolina I think.
Nice! But you can't maneuver your Feather?? I do it all the time. Just choke up on the handle til it's right for you. I read this over and over here about maneuverability and I don't understand the issue. You just adjust your hand on the handle.

Nice! But you can't maneuver your Feather?? I do it all the time. Just choke up on the handle til it's right for you. I read this over and over here about maneuverability and I don't understand the issue. You just adjust your hand on the handle.
Both are pretty easy to maneuver. Both shave perfectly. It's just when you compare two perfectly performing things you have to be super picky about the tiniest things.
The reason I find the Masamune more maneuverable is mostly do to its smaller size. It fits places easier.

Both are pretty easy to maneuver. Both shave perfectly. It's just when you compare two perfectly performing things you have to be super picky about the tiniest things.
The reason I find the Masamune more maneuverable is mostly do to its smaller size. It fits places easier.
I do like it's elegant and smaller overall size. And I just love the design.

As far as looks go. Non wet shavers like the look of the Feather better. People say it looks more high end.
It's that stand. And the knurling on the handle. The festher stand is the best razor stand imho. Also yeah the grip is unrivaled.

This weekend I ordered a brand new Nodachi Dark from Portugal. Been wanting one for a while and kept skipping from buying one.
This specific model goes for $190 pretty much everywhere and with the very favorable exchange rate, I was able to get it for $130 shipped!:)
At that price I finally couldn't say no!
They've shipped it out today:

full

This weekend I ordered a brand new Nodachi Dark from Portugal. Been wanting one for a while and kept skipping from buying one.
This specific model goes for $190 pretty much everywhere and with the very favorable exchange rate, I was able to get it for $130 shipped!:)
At that price I finally couldn't say no!
They've shipped it out today:

full
Had I decided to buy mine from Portugal, I would have saved almost $30 over what I bought it for at Maggard's. But I've bothered them with questions about things I ultimately didn't purchase and they seem to be respected dealers. I asked for a discount and received an 8% off plus free shipping. But, I normally will buy overseas for products where the discount/shipping are significant enough or where I can find products I can't find in the USA. For example, I am expecting as soon as today, according to tracking, a Muhle Rocca Birch razor and matching brush which saved me something like $82 vs. buying it stateside.

Had I decided to buy mine from Portugal, I would have saved almost $30 over what I bought it for at Maggard's. But I've bothered them with questions about things I ultimately didn't purchase and they seem to be respected dealers. I asked for a discount and received an 8% off plus free shipping. But, I normally will buy overseas for products where the discount/shipping are significant enough or where I can find products I can't find in the USA. For example, I am expecting as soon as today, according to tracking, a Muhle Rocca Birch razor and matching brush which saved me something like $82 vs. buying it stateside.
I would've probably done the same if any store here could give me a deal. Problem is the price on the black Nodachi is $190. No store would ever be able to take off $60 from the price. It was too good of a deal!
Speaking of Muhle's, look what I just found in my mailbox, my Rocca R96 which arrived from the UK today:

full

full

Last edited:
I would've probably done the same if any store here could give me a deal. Problem is the price on the black Nodachi is $190. No store would ever be able to take off $60 from the price. It was too good of a deal!
Speaking of Muhle's, look what I just found in my mailbox, my Rocca R96 which arrived from the UK today:

full

full
Nice! And yeah, business is business.

That Muhle Rocca is still on my short list as well. I recently got the EJ 3one6 but since I’ve only used it a couple times I’m still trying to figure out how it fits into my favorites list. But it’s a very nice shaving razor that I really like. I’ve read the Rocca is very similar.

At first I wanted the black handled R96, but I wonder how well that birch handle feels in the hand so it’s the one I’d rather have. I believe I’ve seen the R96 new for around $75 overseas. Not sure I’ve seen a deal on the birch bark. I’ll just keep looking on the BST since I’m in no hurry.

And the Masamune is also one I’d love to try but I have a feeling the Nodachi is too aggressive based on what I’ve read. I prefer medium aggression like GC84p, ATT R1, EJ 3one6, Gillette Red Tip, etc. The Lupo 95SB is about as much as I’m comfortable with and even then only on occasion. Not sure how the Nodachi fits in here.

That Muhle Rocca is still on my short list as well. I recently got the EJ 3one6 but since I’ve only used it a couple times I’m still trying to figure out how it fits into my favorites list. But it’s a very nice shaving razor that I really like. I’ve read the Rocca is very similar.

At first I wanted the black handled R96, but I wonder how well that birch handle feels in the hand so it’s the one I’d rather have. I believe I’ve seen the R96 new for around $75 overseas. Not sure I’ve seen a deal on the birch bark. I’ll just keep looking on the BST since I’m in no hurry.

And the Masamune is also one I’d love to try but I have a feeling the Nodachi is too aggressive based on what I’ve read. I prefer medium aggression like GC84p, ATT R1, EJ 3one6, Gillette Red Tip, etc. The Lupo 95SB is about as much as I’m comfortable with and even then only on occasion. Not sure how the Nodachi fits in here.
shaving.ie run by Chris O'Grady has about the best deal on the R95 I could find. Mine was like $87 shipped and got here in 10 days. I didn't want yet another lookalike metal razor. Assuming the birch handle holds up as well as people have reported, that's the no-brainer version to get (unless one doesn't like the look, of course.). I decided against the EJ 3one6 as I've seen a number of photos of the handles coming apart at the top section. If it holds up, I'm sure it's a great shaver.

shaving.ie run by Chris O'Grady has about the best deal on the R95 I could find. Mine was like $87 shipped and got here in 10 days. I didn't want yet another lookalike metal razor. Assuming the birch handle holds up as well as people have reported, that's the no-brainer version to get (unless one doesn't like the look, of course.). I decided against the EJ 3one6 as I've seen a number of photos of the handles coming apart at the top section. If it holds up, I'm sure it's a great shaver.
Thanks for the tip, that seems like a good price. I like the looks of the birch bark the best and bet it feels great in the hand. Let us know what you think when you get to put it to use.

I never seen any photos of the 3one6 coming apart but I bet it was the normal handle with vertical grooves? The one I have is the knurled handle one like most other razors and feels pretty solid. It’s actually one of my favorite feeling handles.

When it comes to razors handles anymore I’d almost assume to just buy the head of most and purchase my favorite handle separate from Razorock for $15-20 to save some money. I haven’t found a handle I like better then the Barber Pole from them but I also like heavy handles/razors. Although the RazoRocks aren’t for anyone who dislikes heavy handles.

Thanks for the tip, that seems like a good price. I like the looks of the birch bark the best and bet it feels great in the hand. Let us know what you think when you get to put it to use.

I never seen any photos of the 3one6 coming apart but I bet it was the normal handle with vertical grooves? The one I have is the knurled handle one like most other razors and feels pretty solid. It’s actually one of my favorite feeling handles.

When it comes to razors handles anymore I’d almost assume to just buy the head of most and purchase my favorite handle separate from Razorock for $15-20 to save some money. I haven’t found a handle I like better then the Barber Pole from them but I also like heavy handles/razors. Although the RazoRocks aren’t for anyone who dislikes heavy handles.
As to my use and thoughts on the R95, I've posted them in a few threads yesterday along with a photo of the razor and matching brush after first shave yesterday. Do a username search on my for yesterday's posts. The short of it is, they are positive and I'm sorry I didn't get this model sooner!

lasta

Blade Biter
As to my use and thoughts on the R95, I've posted them in a few threads yesterday along with a photo of the razor and matching brush after first shave yesterday. Do a username search on my for yesterday's posts. The short of it is, they are positive and I'm sorry I didn't get this model sooner!
Have ever shaved with a non-satisfactory razor?

I remember 14 years ago, my first Slim (and favourite WWII Zippo) was confiscated on the way to Malaysia. Picked up a cheap no-name and a pack of Dorco's locally. Ground away a bit of the top cap on the sidewalk, and had great shaves for a week!

Top Bottom