What's new

Tatara Masamune or Rex Envoy (or maybe something else?!)

Hello folks,

I've decided to treat myself to another DE safety razor and I've been debating over a number of different ones.

I've been looking at a few of the better known razors in my range that I don't have already.. I've spent some time reading about them, watching videos etc and leading contenders at present are the Tatara Masamune (closed comb) and to my own surprise, the Rex Envoy. I've read through the Tatara threads and I've came to the conclusion this would be a very good razor and seems to be held in high regard with some members on here. I also seem to like combinations of razors that are classed as mild-medium put with a sharp blade like a Feather.

As for the Rex, if I'm honest, up until the past week or so I had little or no interest in Rex razors.. I don't know why, but they just didn't appeal to me. I believe they are a sister company of the Razor Emporium. But recently I started seeing them come up time and time again in various reviews and so on and it seems a lot of people have a very good word on them.. one here also. The adjustable ones are more than I wish to spend at the moment.. so it pretty much leaves the Rex. In fact, I think I have a preference for non-adjustable razors anyways.. I sometimes like a less is more approach, well as long as the "less" works well!

I'd been looking at the Timeless Bronze about a week ago too but I think I've kind of ruled it out.. or at least temporarily.

I don't really want to spend any more than about £150 ($200?) on a razor at the moment.. I probably would go to £200 max. So I'm looking at razors up to approx £150 mark, give £50 take £50. So I'm basically looking a good quality, mid priced razor.. in this category I already own a Muhle Rocca and a Feather AS-D2. I'd like something a little different to what I already own.. as I haven't really got myself a new razor lately. Its been mostly "software".

I know buying a razor is a personal thing and everyone has different tastes and indeed faces, skin, beards etc.. so asking help with razor acquisition may be difficult. However, after all that is what these boards are for.. people with interest and shared passion for wet shaving chatting over things! So I figured I'd ask if anyone has anything they would like to offer.. I figured it couldn't hurt!

At the moment, for me the Tatara Masamune seems to be winning but I'm not really up to date on all the good razors out there.. there are probably other good offerings that I don't even know exist. I just know the common ones. So if thought maybe someone could have a chat or offer some advice or recommendations.

Also, although not essential it would be a great bonus if the razor was available to buy in UK. Often when buying from further afield things can double their price quite quick between international shipping charges and customs and handling fees etc!

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards

BelfastBlade

Hi! In that range of price the Stando razors are very appealing. I only have the Stando Zoria, they all have a neutral exposure but are efficient enough. Not as much as the Blackbird or the Merkur Progress but in your range of price they are a very good deal.

It would be useful to know what razors you like shaving with in order to be able to be more specific.

Try a Pearl Flexi. Can't go wrong for 70 bucks for a full brass, CNC milled adjustable razor. From the choices you mentioned, the Flexi will fit in the sweet spot. Connaught shaving sells it for £ 72. If you like the straight bar version, you can also get the OC flexi to up the efficiency game. You'll get two solid razors for your budget.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Rex Envoy is a lot more aggressive than the Tatara Masamune. Both are quite different beasts and I would not really like to compare them at all.
I have an Envoy, supposedly it is an Ambassador at setting 3 something. Whatever, it has quite significant positive blade exposure. The Masamune on the other hand has even negative blade exposure.

>>> I personally would suggest the Tatara Masamune Nodachi, if you like it better with the handle of the Masamune. The finish is a bead blast matte or black. This one has positive exposure and is still only medium aggressive, particularly the SB version.

The Timeless Bronze has a .38 and a .76 gap version, the latter is a veritable monster, so beware. But seems you ruled it out already.

I can totally recommend the Stando razors, you would have to import them from Poland though, not sure in which part of the world you are.

For 200 bucks... what comes to MY mind are the Lambda Razors. They have a waiting list and come from Greece, so not that readily available.

But Lambda Ares and Athena are in terms of premium feeling more than one level above all the razors mentioned before.

... ha... hehe... guess I didn't make things any easier for you...^^

As Iridian has said, the Envoy is rather aggressive compared to the Masamune. The Envoy is more in line with the Nodachi. I suggest you also consider the Lambda Athena or the Blackland Blackbird Lite. I don't know about their availability in your country though.

For a everyday, mild feeling but efficient shaving razor I would go with the Karve Overlander. For me it’s a autopilot, no fuss razor that works with a wide range of blades and has a ”cult following”.

Also check out razors from ”Blutt Rasur”. They offer a range of gaps and are highly regarded premium razors.

Between the Rex and the Masamune, I would go with the Masamune myself. My experience with it has been nothing but stellar(see description of the Overlander and insert). The Rex, to me, has alot of blade feel and it’s juuuuust at the edge of being uncomfortable. Shaving with the Rex gives me the feeling that any wrong move will end up with a nick or cut. But on the other hand I have never cut or nicked myself with it and the shave it gives has always been great but it feels more agressive and efficient than it really it is, quite the opposite from the Masamune. So, if you like the tactile feel of every strand of stubble being cut with pronounced blade feel with moderate efficiency then go with the Rex but if you want a mild feeling but not so mild razor that is effortless then go with the Masamune(also you can mix and match the Masamune if you so wish later on).

Just order the Masamune. I actually found the Blackbird more comfortable than the Envoy.

If you wanted to try something completely different I'd consider selling my spare Sabre which takes GEM blades. I'm in the UK.

Try a Pearl Flexi. Can't go wrong for 70 bucks for a full brass, CNC milled adjustable razor. From the choices you mentioned, the Flexi will fit in the sweet spot. Connaught shaving sells it for £ 72. If you like the straight bar version, you can also get the OC flexi to up the efficiency game. You'll get two solid razors for your budget.

See this is the kind of answer I was very keen to see! I should have mentioned, I'm always open to much more budget friendly options. While I do love "fancy" items.. I have a great love for a reasonably priced, no nonsense product also. I really appreciate a good item for a fair price.. sometimes these days such a thing is difficult to come by!

I honestly had never even heard of these Pearl razors!

To me it seems kind of similar like the adjustable version of the Rex Envoy (I forget the exact name, Ambassador maybe?) but for a great price. I see it is also an Indian company which is of much interest to me as I love many things about India, its people and culture. One of my dearest friends is from India. I will have to ask her if she has heard of these razors!

I wonder, how are these razors for quality and QC? Are they typically of a high standard? The price is very appealing.. only £70. Initially I thought "wow is that stainless?" but I see it is triple plated solid brass. I'm sure it should be fine. I think many of the vintage Gillette razors are made this way and we often see those still in use today so it is a testament to the endurance of the materials.

Thank you, Iridian! 😊

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just want to say thanks to all the other posters also!

I greatly appreciate all the above comments. I've read them all but not as yet replied to each and every one, but I'll post later when I have a little more time. All the advice and suggestions are much appreciated and have been taken aboard. I think you guys have helped me rule the Rex out for now anyways!

Out of the two I'd been debating most over, I think the Tatara is the better option. I have looked at the Nodachi version also but I just really feel the regular full Masamune would be more to my personal tastes. I also like the "dark" version. I typically choose plain stainless in most cases as I feel it is best in the long term.. but in this case I do like the dark and it seems to be done with a a good process. I think it should hold up very well.

Would also love to hear similar, reasonably priced options like the Pearl suggestion. I am more than happy to see suggestions at half my budget. It's just a max figure not necessary to spend it all.

Thanks so much! 🙂

I was thinking of the Pearl Blaze. It's excellent and mild and efficient, a good compromise.

I had the Flexi too, I found it too small and heavy, I sold it very quickly. Above 100g, it's just too heavy for me to have a good shave.

50 to 100g is my range.

YMMV though ;)

The Lambda razors, Ares v2 and Athena are excellent razors. The only problem is getting your hands on one. You should go to their website and get on the waiting list for both razors. These are smooth, comfortable and efficient tools.

Great suggestions, all! I have a Stando, and can recommend it unreservedly (it takes 1/2 DE blades, I don't remember the name). All of the Stando offerings get good reviews & may be cheaper for you in the UK.

I will also second the Pearl Flexi. They now offer an OC version as well. I have the original SB, and it is a hefty razor, about 1step below the Rex Ambassador through its adjustments, and reasonably priced at ~$70 USD.

I have a Muramasa, and find it excessively mild throughout. I like it, and am keeping it in the event that I reach seniority and need a less aggressive option, but I rarely use it.

I also have a Rex Ambassador, and yes, Rex and Tatara offerings are vastly different.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Hi ya mate. I have the Pearl hammer which for me is a really good razor and shaves beautifully. It comes with a OC and SB base plates, and at around £40 it's an absolute bargain. It's really efficient and smooth but never feels like it's going to bite. There's a thread on it here but I don't know how to share links.

If you want a try it before you buy it. I can meet you in the city centre at a time that suits us both and lend you mine

I was thinking of the Pearl Blaze. It's excellent and mild and efficient, a good compromise.

I had the Flexi too, I found it too small and heavy, I sold it very quickly. Above 100g, it's just too heavy for me to have a good shave.

50 to 100g is my range.

YMMV though ;)

Thank you very much! I think I'll definitely try out some of these Pearl razors. They are very nicely priced and seem to have good reviews on here. It seems I'll either get the Blaze, the Hammer or the Flexi. I'd read the Blaze would be maybe more along the lines of say a R89/DE89 etc.. maybe a little more efficient. Wheras the Hammer is a bit more efficient again.. and it does come with both open and closed comb baseplates which is a bonus!

As for the Flexi. I actually don't have ANY adjustable razors! I don't know why as yet I've never bothered with one.. initially I read a post on here or maybe some other board and some poster was talking about adjustables and I got the impression he didn't really care for them. I can't remember his exact words. But that he would prefer to have a regular DE razor that worked right rather than an adjustable and that many people who own them only use on one setting anyway. I'd been meaning to just pick up a vintage Gillette adjustable or a Merkur Futur or Progess or even one of the inexpensive Futur clones or something just to try out an adjustable.

I see you aren't big on the Flexi.. so I'd guess you would opt for a Futur over it in the affordable adjustable market? I was somewhat apprehensive about the Future.. how the cap attaches, almost like "clip on".. but then again some users say it's fine and theirs is still working perfectly after many years of use.

Is there any other decent, affordable adjustables you know of? Most seem to be up the price bracket!

I like both the Blaze and the Flexi. Very nice razors 👍

Thanks a lot. I've been looking at both of these! I read a post somewhere saying the Blaze was something akin to an R89.. would you agree with that? I already have razors like that so I thought maybe Hammer would be a better option, plus both open and closed comb plates. Also curious about the Flexi too.. the closed comb one. Do you have any experience with those?

This. The Athena or Ares are fantastic razors.

Thank you and @Big_T for suggesting the Lambda razors! Another I was unaware of but I've been doing some research on them.. they look wonderful so I signed up to their waiting list for the Athena! I figured the Athena would be more to my tastes at the moment being closed comb. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a mail from them.. I might very well take them up on the offer if they do offer me the chance to buy one! Do you know, is there typically a long waiting time once you apply on the waiting list? Was just curious and wondered if anyone knew approximately how long one may be waiting to get one. Thanks!

Razor Emporium sells REX SECONDS, big discount.

Seen a couple o honestly had to be shown small scratch, or tool mark.

Best kept secret revealed.

Thank you very much for this! I was not aware of this. I'll have to have a look for their seconds.. do they sell those directly on the Razor Emporium website? I've never noticed before, that said I wasn't looking! I'll be sure to check this out.

If you want to keep the cost down, in my brief experience, the Henson AL13+ or Timeless Aluminum. Both are smooth, slick, forgiving shavers for me.

Thank you! I'm not familiar with the Henson. However I had been looking at the Timeless Aluminium when I wasdebating over a Timeless. I went from Stainless initially, to considering Titanium, and finally to Bronze.. which I just decided against a few days ago as noted in the post! However, I never really paid any attention to the Aluminium.. maybe I should have. I'd guess it would be very light.. is it the same design as the Bronze? Just different material? Thanks again!

The Lambda razors, Ares v2 and Athena are excellent razors. The only problem is getting your hands on one. You should go to their website and get on the waiting list for both razors. These are smooth, comfortable and efficient tools.

I was just saying to some of the other memberrs above that I was unaware of this razor manufacturer but I've been doing some research on them since they suggested them! And yes, they look wonderful so I signed up to their waiting list for the Athena! Do you know.. is there a long waiting time for these razors on average?

Great suggestions, all! I have a Stando, and can recommend it unreservedly (it takes 1/2 DE blades, I don't remember the name). All of the Stando offerings get good reviews & may be cheaper for you in the UK.

I will also second the Pearl Flexi. They now offer an OC version as well. I have the original SB, and it is a hefty razor, about 1step below the Rex Ambassador through its adjustments, and reasonably priced at ~$70 USD.

I have a Muramasa, and find it excessively mild throughout. I like it, and am keeping it in the event that I reach seniority and need a less aggressive option, but I rarely use it.

I also have a Rex Ambassador, and yes, Rex and Tatara offerings are vastly different.

Hello Rob! Thanks very much for the advice! I'm unfamiliar with Stando razors also but I'll be sure to give them a search and check them out.

That is interesting about the Flexi. I noticed on Connaught shaving they now sell an open comb one too.. however it is currently out of stock. I for one would be more inclined to opt for a closed comb version anyways. So do you feel the Pearl would be comparable to the Rex? How is the quality control, finish etc of the Pearl razors though? Are they generally of a pretty high standard? I was not aware of this company so I know very little about them or what kind of market they aim for. Are these like a "high end" razor company in India? I'd definitely be keen on the Flexi.. I just wonder would it be a better buy than different but similarly priced adjustables say Merkur Futur, Progess etc..

Thanks for the help/advice in regards to the Rex and Tatara also!

Hi ya mate. I have the Pearl hammer which for me is a really good razor and shaves beautifully. It comes with a OC and SB base plates, and at around £40 it's an absolute bargain. It's really efficient and smooth but never feels like it's going to bite. There's a thread on it here but I don't know how to share links.

If you want a try it before you buy it. I can meet you in the city centre at a time that suits us both and lend you mine

Hello Dave!

Thank you very much indeed for all the kind advice and the extremely kind, generous offer. While I greatly appreciate it and am touched by your generosity, please don't worry about me! But it was very kind of you to offer and it means a lot to me. I saw those razors and they are very nice and also very nicely priced! I have my eye on the Flexi also. 🧐

Funny enough, specking of the city, I don't really be there very often these days! Last time I was there I went down for a pair of Dr Martens and that was ages ago! I actually live up (or would it be "down"?!) the road in Co Armagh! 😄 I chose "BelfastBlade" as I figure its the best known place here plus the fact it sounds a lot better than "ArmaghBlade" 🤭

But yeah, I love the city. I spent a lot of time there years ago. Back in the early 00s when I was a kid me and my mates would all head down on the train and spend our days hanging out around City Hall, spending hours looking at the guitars in Matchetts and then the occasional rummage through Fresh Garbage! I also used to go to The Empire and various other venues quite in later years for the rock and blues music scene. I saw some great bands in the city over the years.

I hope all is well with you and that your are having a good weekend! Quite dull here today. I think the Summer is well and truly over. All downhill since that few weeks heatwave we got early on.. I can't recall now, must have been around May. I don't mind as I like the bad weather anyways. A good thing as we get plenty of it!

Best wishes and thanks again!

However, I never really paid any attention to the Aluminium.. maybe I should have. I'd guess it would be very light.. is it the same design as the Bronze? Just different material? Thanks again!

They're similar, but I think the blade geometry is different between all the Timeless models. Pretty sure, the Aluminum is the mildest of the Timeless razors.
Hopefully someone that knows better than me can tell you for sure.

Thank you and @Big_T for suggesting the Lambda razors! Another I was unaware of but I've been doing some research on them.. they look wonderful so I signed up to their waiting list for the Athena! I figured the Athena would be more to my tastes at the moment being closed comb. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a mail from them.. I might very well take them up on the offer if they do offer me the chance to buy one! Do you know, is there typically a long waiting time once you apply on the waiting list? Was just curious and wondered if anyone knew approximately how long one may be waiting to get one. Thanks!

Best wishes and thanks again!

I believe most people wait 2 to 3 months. It depends if you can get on the list for the next production run or if you have to wait for the one after that.

Top Bottom