What's new

RazoRock GameChanger - what makes it so good?

So I've been wet shaving for a while, have most of the razors I've wanted to try including Rex Konsul, Ambassador, Tatara Masamune and Muramasa, numerous Gillette adjustable vintage razors, and many others, including the GameChanger .68 and .84.

When I first got the GC .84 it was a little on the aggressive side for me - but the better my skills get the more the GC seems to satisfy.

So I'd like to ask - with so many people singing the praises of the GC - what makes it "that good"? And if you consider the GC "that good", what are some other razors that you would put there with it, or better yet? I just acquired a Yates with M and H plates so curious how that will stack up....

Thanks gents, interested in all of your feedback!

lasta

Blade Biter
A CNC machined steel razor sold for <$60 and with fit and finish better than razors 3-4x its price. Bargain really.

But as for good or bad? Beauty is in the belly of the beer holder.

It holds a blade, yeah. Sleek. Clean. Almost shiny. That's +4, enough for me to buy!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Locks the blade tight — even moreso with open comb and JAWS versions — aligns without fuss, and it’s a big fan of using nearly any angle. So far, mine acts like any blade is the right blade, but I prefer using it with either Loi Titanium or Shark Stainless (Shark in a JAWS was too much to resist and it rawks).

Best bang for buck razor IMHO

no razor is best though only what we like the most and budget looks material blade gaps efficiency welike angles it shaves
IMHO the only downside is the blade loading :)

that all said the Lupo is also insane popular for those wanting a more blade forward razor !

on top as mention so many plate options for their razors

Italian barber/RazoRock really has the bases covered for sub $100 SS razors that are built with quality

What makes it so good? Well for me it's the slim head profile, almost perfect blade support and that it requires very steep angle which most modern razors these days lack and it's quite disappointing. The same can be said about the Lupo as well. I have a lot of razors, which I like a lot and some of them cost over $100, but there's just something about the very steep angle razors that make me enjoy regardless how much the cost.

For me, the winning attributes of the GC is the relatively low price, quality stainless steel construction, variety of base plates, balance and weight, selection of handles and the wonderful shaves when I use my .84 and .68 SB base plates.

Being new to the world of DE, the choices were overwhelming. I am OCD about how things are made and and I just cannot stomach anything that is plated cast zinc for many reasons. Cast zinc, or as they call it now Zamac, is fragile and subject to corrosion if the plating fails, and you cannot cast with as tight tolerances as CNC machining. Secondly, machined SS has nicer aesthetics than the rippling fat lines of cast zinc. So this eliminated many choices for me. Somehow I discovered Italian Barber and it was "Eureka". The prices blew me away compared to all the others I had researched. Stainless steel machined razors with unlimited combinations of handles and heads at an unbelievable prices and made right here on the Northern corner of the NA continent. I ordered a GC .84 SB, a .68 OC, and a MJ90a (machined AL head). I have a small collection for the price of one of the other exotics. Sorry for long story so to answer the OPs question:

The GC is a great value with exceptional quality and aesthetics. The extended plate that covers the end tabs is a nice feature that lets me get in tight to the ears and under the nose. Aesthetics are really important as a nice shiny tool makes shaving all the more fun. I have nothing else to compare it to except my Merkur 34C (cast zinc head) and the GC shave is in a completely different league for me regarding quality, aesthetics, and performance.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I REALLY respect the theme of value and quality that this thread is receiving. I completely agree on both counts. I actually started out with a .68 that was my first dive into a SS razor. I acquired a .84 plate a month or two later and it was a bit too aggressive with more blade feel than I prefer.

As far as "next steps" I found myself going with a Timeless. Again, the .68 SB was my first buy and it's 1 of 2 daily drivers. I followed up with a .95 base plate and again found it too much for me. YMMV.

Also, a huge thank you to the availability of the BST here on B&B. While I don't think my purchases have been frivolous it's nice to know there's an avenue to move some things on to happier homes.

I just acquired a Yates with M and H plates so curious how that will stack up....
Here is what I notice right away that is different between the Yates and the GC. The Yates bends/curves the blade more. So you would hold the Yates at a different angle than you would hold the GC to get similar contact with your face. If you put the cap from your GC on the Yates base plate (don't tighten it up, just to look at it) you will see that it clamps the blade at a different angle. The GC clamps the blade closer to the edge.
1671233534464.png

Last edited:
I REALLY respect the theme of value and quality that this thread is receiving. I completely agree on both counts. I actually started out with a .68 that was my first dive into a SS razor. I acquired a .84 plate a month or two later and it was a bit too aggressive with more blade feel than I prefer.

As far as "next steps" I found myself going with a Timeless. Again, the .68 SB was my first buy and it's 1 of 2 daily drivers. I followed up with a .95 base plate and again found it too much for me. YMMV.

Also, a huge thank you to the availability of the BST here on B&B. While I don't think my purchases have been frivolous it's nice to know there's an avenue to move some things on to happier homes.

^^^ This sums it up perfectly for me.

When I'm not using one of my Gillette Techs, I reach for my Feather ASD2 or Game Changer 68P. My three most used shaving tools. I had an 84P but sold it once I knew that the 68P was more than adequate. I also have a 68OC in reserve in case I need to mow down a 7-day beard.

I have nothing else to compare it to except my Merkur 34C (cast zinc head) and the GC shave is in a completely different league for me regarding quality, aesthetics, and performance.

When I'm not using one of my Gillette Techs, I reach for my Feather ASD2 or Game Changer 68P. My three most used shaving tools. I had an 84P but sold it once I knew that the 68P was more than adequate. I also have a 68OC in reserve in case I need to mow down a 7-day beard.

Bang for the buck and SS are right in my wheelhouse.

Calyshaver, can you please comment specifically on how the GC shave experience (not the quality or aesthetics) compares to the 34c (which I am very familiar with)?

gpjoe, same question for you. I have both the Tech and the ASD2 (which I find similar) and would like to know how you think the shave experience of the GC compares to them.

Thanks!

Reactions: Kix
Bang for the buck and SS are right in my wheelhouse.

Calyshaver, can you please comment specifically on how the GC shave experience (not the quality or aesthetics) compares to the 34c (which I am very familiar with)?

gpjoe, same question for you. I have both the Tech and the ASD2 (which I find similar) and would like to know how you think the shave experience of the GC compares to them.

Thanks!

I am a 3-pass shaver, and the GC is a very capable and mild razor, which I obviously gravitate towards. It is a heavy razor, but very well-behaved for me.

I had a 34c and gave it to my brother. As I have posted in other threads, I couldn't seem to get the 34c to work for me. I'm not blaming the razor, but I don't tend to waste a lot of time trying to make things work, especially when I have so many razors that do work. Lazy. 😆

The GC seems a lot less finnick about shave angle, to me.

Sure, but keep in mind I am a complete newbie in this DE world. The 34C did not give me a close shave with the few different blades I tried (Merkur, Feather, Shave Revolution). However, using the latter two blades in the GC .84 was an immediate improvement in efficiency whereby I only did one pass and select spot touchups. With the 34C I was going back and forth like I was mowing my lawn. After one pass with the GC I was amazed at how close the shave was with very little stubble compared to the 34C.

I am not sure what it is called, but I like the audio feedback of the blade raking the whiskers which the 34C did give me, whereas the GC does not have as much of it and seems quiet and smooth. You know, like the exhaust feedback a car gives as you row through a 6 speed gearbox. Maybe the chrome vs. SS metallurgy contributes to the noise characteristics?

Another thing, the 34C had a lot of play with the blade on the bottom plate, and I would have to fiddle a little to get it centered just right as I tightened the cap down. With the GC, there is negligible play and the blade is almost perfectly centered when assembled. I attribute that to the superior tolerances of the CNC machining vs. zinc castings. The wider GC plates that cover the end tabs is also a nice feature for getting behind the ears.

Last edited:
I am a 3-pass shaver, and the GC is a very capable and mild razor, which I obviously gravitate towards. It is a heavy razor, but very well-behaved for me.

I had a 34c and gave it to my brother. As I have posted in other threads, I couldn't seem to get the 34c to work for me. I'm not blaming the razor, but I don't tend to waste a lot of time trying to make things work, especially when I have so many razors that do work. Lazy. 😆

The GC seems a lot less finnick about shave angle, to me.
Thanks! How does the shave of the GC compare to that of the Tech and ASD2?

Sure, but keep in mind I am a complete newbie in this DE world. The 34C did not give me a close shave with the few different blades I tried (Merkur, Feather, Shave Revolution). However, using the latter two blades in the GC .84 was an immediate improvement in efficiency whereby I only did one pass and select spot touchups. With the 34C I was going back and forth like I was mowing my lawn. After one pass with the GC I was amazed at how close the shave was with very little stubble compared to the 34C.

I am not sure what it is called, but I like the audio feedback of the blade raking the whiskers which the 34C did give me, whereas the GC does not have as much of it and seems quiet and smooth. You know, like the exhaust feedback a car gives as you row through a 6 speed gearbox. Maybe the chrome vs. SS metallurgy contributes to the noise characteristics?
Interesting. What you are describing might be called "blade feel." I'm not a fan of what I think is "blade feel," and I don't get much from the 34, so if the GC is even less that would be a good thing.

Do either the 34 or GC seem more prone to nick or "bite" than the other, or about the same?

lasta

Blade Biter
Hey, I made a post yesterday mentioning the Tech and GC, cheers:

To me it is a touch more efficient without being overly agressive, which makes it perfect for me.

Some guys want a more efficient razor to get a smooth first pass. On my first pass WTG, I can still feel some stubble, but I know I'll pick it up on subsequent passes. As I learned early, it is about beard reduction, in stages, until I get to that smooth face-feel.

I'm never in a hurry, and don't mind a leisurely shave.

Locks the blade tight — even moreso with open comb and JAWS versions — aligns without fuss, and it’s a big fan of using nearly any angle. So far, mine acts like any blade is the right blade, but I prefer using it with either Loi Titanium or Shark Stainless (Shark in a JAWS was too much to resist and it rawks).
I don’t ever use my JAWS anymore but keep it just for Shark Week. JAWS and Sharks just seem right. My GC 84 is just a mighty fine workhorse. Now if RR could do it in TI at these types of rates 😍

Top Bottom