What's new

Was able to make a deal on a new Tatara Masamune so I've got that going for me...

Finally found a stateside dealer willing to make a small deal with no taxes or shipping so I bought one with the closed comb. I've got Gillette open combs for that desire. I have zero need for another razor but I do like milder razors and this industrial design really appeals to me. It will sit next to my AS-D2 on the razor shelf in my cabinet. Very curious to try it out!

I am really looking forward to trying this one out. Not a one of the modern razors most often discussed here holds any interest to me but the Tatara, my God, it should be in MOMA in NY as a piece of industrial design excellence. Just hope the SOB is a good shaver! ;)

Yes, I have three of them (Masamune Nodachi Steel, the same in Ti, and the Muramasa Steel) and the workmanship is second to none.
Ergonomics are also quite good, but I prefer the Masamune Nodachi’s longer handle over the shorter (standard) Masamune and Muramasa handles.

The Nodachi Ti is the most recent one, has become my daily shaver and gives me results that I had never thought possible from a safety razor, including the Mühle R41 versions that I had used before.

B.

Yes, I have three of them (Masamune Nodachi Steel, the same in Ti, and the Muramasa Steel) and the workmanship is second to none.
Ergonomics are also quite good, but I prefer the Masamune Nodachi’s longer handle over the shorter (standard) Masamune and Muramasa handles.

The Nodachi Ti is the most recent one, has become my daily shaver and gives me results that I had never thought possible from a safety razor, including the Mühle R41 versions that I had used before.

B.
I prefer shorter handles but I must admit, my purchase is as much for the design than anything else. I don't expect a significantly different/better shave than any of my other razors but this is a razor I want to look at as much as use. Plus, I'm an idiot who is at a point in life where I've become more frivolous. ;)

Those Tatara's seem beautifully crafted. I've looked at them more than once and never bought one. Being that I like razors on the more aggressive side, I always looked at the Nodachi. I suspect though that the Masamune will probably be nowhere as mild as your AS-D2.
Here is what I've discovered:
I used to think I liked mild razors till I tried modern designs that were on the "less mild" side. Somehow (some of them) manage on being mega efficient and super smooth at the same time (I have a feeling that the Masamune falls in that category). As much as I like my vintage stuff, none seem to bridge that gap. Not even my Fatboy on #9 is as efficient/aggressive/smooth i.e., as my Made in the USA Above the Tie Windsor. And my Windsor has a blade gap of .80 but it feels like silk when it goes over my face. The fact is that Gillette & Schick made great stuff but technology is technology. Razors have evolved!
Looking forward to your review when you get it,
LRod

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Those Tatara's seem beautifully crafted. I've looked at them more than once and never bought one. Being that I like razors on the more aggressive side, I always looked at the Nodachi. I imagine though that the Masamune will probably be nowhere as mild as your AS-D2.
Here is what I've discovered:
I used to think I liked mild razors till I tried modern designs that were on the "less mild" side. Somehow (some of them) manage on being mega efficient and super smooth at the same time (I have a feeling that the Masamune falls in that category). As much as I like my vintage stuff, none seem to bridge that gap. Not even my Fatboy on #9 is as efficient/aggressive/smooth i.e., as my Made in the USA Above the Tie Windsor. And my Windsor has a blade gap of .80 but it feels like silk when it goes over my face. The fact is that Gillette & Schick made great stuff but technology is technology. Razors have evolved!
Looking forward to your review when you get it,
LRod
I remember when you were getting excited about Super Speeds and Stars.:c10:

Looks like the Traditional Wet-shaving Reenactment Society has lost another dear member...

I haven't shaved with a Tatara, but my side trip with ATT, Karve, and Rex didn't impress me much. The only modern I've kept is the Game Changer.

To each their own I suppose. All razors shave me well enough. I like my toys with a bit of history, colorful marketing material, searchable patent files, and insights into a company's operations while they pushed the envelope on personal grooming. Oh, and the occassional chance to associate with a historical character.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCS
I remember when you were getting excited about Super Speeds and Stars.:c10:

Looks like the Traditional Wet-shaving Reenactment Society has lost another dear member...

I haven't shaved with a Tatara, but my side trip with ATT, Karve, and Rex didn't impress me much. The only modern I've kept is the Game Changer.

To each their own I suppose. All razors shave me well enough. I like my toys with a bit of history, colorful marketing material, searchable patent files, and insights into a company's operations while they pushed the envelope on personal groom. Oh, and the occassional chance to associate with a historical character.
I'm pretty much with you on enjoying the traditional razors from the old days. Like I said though, this one catches me due to its design and that it's not MIM but barstock. I suspect I'll like it and I suspect at some point, I'll buy the OC plate as well.

Nah! They haven't lost me.
I like both new and old and I'm still actively purchasing (and enjoying) from both ends of the Spectrum.
i.e., I just got a GEM Featherweight which is vintage + a RR Hawk and a Muhle Rocca R96 which are modern!
Both have pro's and cons and only vintage stuff has charm and history that the new stuff doesn't have.
I love them all!:)

lasta

Blade Biter
Nah! They haven't lost me.
I like both new and old and I'm still actively purchasing (and enjoying) from both ends of the Spectrum.
i.e., I just got a GEM Featherweight which is vintage + a RR Hawk and a Muhle Rocca R96 which are modern!
Both have pro's and cons and only vintage stuff has charm and history that the new stuff doesn't have.
I love them all!:)
It's OK, I didn't mean it as a side swipe.

RazoRock has charm as well, and from what I can see, history in the making! Their manufacturing and finishing technique is something much more expensive razors should aspire to.

If you don't have one yet, I can't think of a better way to spend $50.

It's OK, I didn't mean it as a side swipe.

RazoRock has charm as well, and from what I can see, history in the making! Their manufacturing and finishing technique is something much more expensive razors should aspire to.

If you don't have one yet, I can't think of a better way to spend $50.
I posted it up above. I just received today a Razorock aluminum Hawk V2 single edge razor ($29). And it was tonight's razor for my nightly shave. Paired it with a Schick proline blade and it was nothing short of fantastic. Not exaggerating, The closest shave I've ever had!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Bill Murray Dalai Llama GIF

Tatara, sounds like something you say, when you just solved a rubex cube.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Now you understand the power of the rabbit 🐇 Pray you don't learn the ways of the gophers, After turning this golf course into a battle ground, I'm fairly certain I'm going to be fired.

May you have many great shaves. And now you will understand how I feel, about my Timeless razor. Speaking of which, the owner of the golf course is running towards me, I'm out of time, gotta go.

Bill Murray Dalai Llama GIF

Tatara, sounds like something you say, when you just solved a rubex cube.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Now you understand the power of the rabbit 🐇 Pray you don't learn the ways of the gophers, After turning this golf course into a battle ground, I'm fairly certain I'm going to be fired.

May you have many great shaves. And now you will understand how I feel, about my Timeless razor. Speaking of which, the owner of the golf course is running towards me, I'm out of time, gotta go.
Dude, I suspect my rabbit hole began before you were born... ;)

Because Tatara is currently selling the Masamune for $169.02 USD and I bought mine from a USA dealer for $156.40, no tax, shipping included.
Huh- Tatara just increased their prices Oct 1st, so maybe that's the reason for the discrepancy. Either way, good purchase.

Huh- Tatara just increased their prices Oct 1st, so maybe that's the reason for the discrepancy. Either way, good purchase.
I hope so. It's supposed to be on the milder side with a negative blade exposure and as a daily shaver with a medium towards light beard, it should be right up my ally. Years ago, I owned a Questar telescope which I hated using (vs. a quality small refractor) and ended up displaying it on a piano as an objet d'art. While I finally sold it, sometimes fine industrial design is cool to display in that manner. If this thing sucks, I'll buy the Tatara base and put it on a bookshelf or table in the living room. ;)

I hope so. It's supposed to be on the milder side with a negative blade exposure and as a daily shaver with a medium towards light beard, it should be right up my ally. Years ago, I owned a Questar telescope which I hated using (vs. a quality small refractor) and ended up displaying it on a piano as an objet d'art. While I finally sold it, sometimes fine industrial design is cool to display in that manner. If this thing sucks, I'll buy the Tatara base and put it on a bookshelf or table in the living room. ;)
If the Masamune is anything like the Tatara, you will love it. I get very good shaves even on setting 1-2 which have negative blade exposure. Really mild, efficient razor.

Top Bottom