What's new

Was able to make a deal on a new Tatara Masamune so I've got that going for me...

Have ever shaved with a non-satisfactory razor?

I remember 14 years ago, my first Slim (and favourite WWII Zippo) was confiscated on the way to Malaysia. Picked up a cheap no-name and a pack of Dorco's locally. Ground away a bit of the top cap on the sidewalk, and had great shaves for a week!
Some of my earliest razors all sucked. Until I learned how to shave. The one that sticks in mind was an old Super Speed which was new when I bought it the mid-60's. My folks were divorced and there was no one to teach me. I learned though trial and error and also tried electrics and the first Trac II carts. But even though I've gone through periods of shaving with electrics in my early years, I always got poor shaves (Remington, 2-head Norelcos). The Trac II was OK but by then I was learning proper technique and by the time I was in my early 20's, had gotten the hang of it. I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it what razors I bought and tossed over the years but I know I had the Schick Injector for a time but mostly TTO Gillettes. I only remember having a Super Speed because the '64 I bought many years ago keyed a memory with that flared tip. I'm pretty sure I had some sort of Tech along the way. But those were the days where I only owned a razor, a brush, a mug, and a soap. I started obsessing about perfecting my shaving sometime in my 30's but still didn't collect much as my 30's were in the 80's and safety razor were still easy to find locally. I might have had 2-3 in those years and a couple brushes to alternate with. I know canned foam was in there for a few years and probably 3-4 soaps (Williams, Old Spice, Colgate, and one other that slips me.

Today, in my world, there is no unsatisfactory razor, only untrained shavers. Easy to say as I've probably never owned more than about 20 razors over all the years, most of which were samples from the late 40's into the 60's of Gillettes. I never tried to buy cheapie brands (like something from a developing country) but perhaps those countries produce decent razors now.

I think I'm rambling as I should be asleep!

lasta

Blade Biter
Some of my earliest razors all sucked. Until I learned how to shave. The one that sticks in mind was an old Super Speed which was new when I bought it the mid-60's. My folks were divorced and there was no one to teach me. I learned though trial and error and also tried electrics and the first Trac II carts. But even though I've gone through periods of shaving with electrics in my early years, I always got poor shaves (Remington, 2-head Norelcos). The Trac II was OK but by then I was learning proper technique and by the time I was in my early 20's, had gotten the hang of it. I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it what razors I bought and tossed over the years but I know I had the Schick Injector for a time but mostly TTO Gillettes. I only remember having a Super Speed because the '64 I bought many years ago keyed a memory with that flared tip. I'm pretty sure I had some sort of Tech along the way. But those were the days where I only owned a razor, a brush, a mug, and a soap. I started obsessing about perfecting my shaving sometime in my 30's but still didn't collect much as my 30's were in the 80's and safety razor were still easy to find locally. I might have had 2-3 in those years and a couple brushes to alternate with. I know canned foam was in there for a few years and probably 3-4 soaps (Williams, Old Spice, Colgate, and one other that slips me.

Today, in my world, there is no unsatisfactory razor, only untrained shavers. Easy to say as I've probably never owned more than about 20 razors over all the years, most of which were samples from the late 40's into the 60's of Gillettes. I never tried to buy cheapie brands (like something from a developing country) but perhaps those countries produce decent razors now.

I think I'm rambling as I should be asleep!
Yes you should be sleeping! I count <4 hours between your 2 nightly posts.

I've shaved with multiple developing countries' razors. If it holds a blade and parts don't move, it gets the job done!

I also recently picked up the Masamune with both open and safety plates before the price increase. It really is an excellent razor. It has the slimmest, most maneuverable head and its real purty. I think it has just replaced the Blackbird as my favorite. Nacet blade was much better than the Parker I started with.

I may have to get the Nodochi so I can try the mixed top cap combination. I have a feeling that will be the closest most comfortable shave.

How does the Tatara compare to the Feather, in your opinion?
Totally different feel ergonomically. Based on just 2-3 shaves with it, I'd say it's a bit more aggressive than the AS-D2 but marginally. Other than that, they are both premium razors of a three-piece deisgn, if you get a chance to use them back to back you'll see what I mean.

I don't like trying to razors that are so different from each other in design philosophy to each other. I'd never get rid of either one but I also would tell anyone, don't listen to my opinion or anyone else's when it comes to anything having to do with shaving other than most of us who are experienced agree with the basic technique of shaving with a DE. But razors, blades, soaps.creams, bowl/face lather, and on an on are opinionated opinions that may or may not relate to someone else's universe. And site like B&B have flavors of the week and move on to the next flavor soon enough. If the Tatara Masamune belongs in the Museum of Modern Art for its incredible design, the AS-D2 belongs in the museum of the boring but tried and true.

Totally different feel ergonomically. Based on just 2-3 shaves with it, I'd say it's a bit more aggressive than the AS-D2 but marginally. Other than that, they are both premium razors of a three-piece deisgn, if you get a chance to use them back to back you'll see what I mean.

I don't like trying to razors that are so different from each other in design philosophy to each other. I'd never get rid of either one but I also would tell anyone, don't listen to my opinion or anyone else's when it comes to anything having to do with shaving other than most of us who are experienced agree with the basic technique of shaving with a DE. But razors, blades, soaps.creams, bowl/face lather, and on an on are opinionated opinions that may or may not relate to someone else's universe. And site like B&B have flavors of the week and move on to the next flavor soon enough. If the Tatara Masamune belongs in the Museum of Modern Art for its incredible design, the AS-D2 belongs in the museum of the boring but tried and true.
While I agree any difference between these two is design philosophy and authentic I can't agree one is beautiful while the other boring.
The ASD2 is beautiful. They both are.
They tie in execution, quality, and craftsmanship.
I wish feather .are accessories besides the stand. Omg they stand is awesome

Top Bottom