What's new

“Valet” AutoStrop Razors - Posts and Discussions

Is that a real “B” or a B1 or a VB1?

This razor, which isn't playing by the rules in the AutoStrop typology thread. Do you have a picture of the real model B? Somewhere around here I have an AutoStrop pamphlet that refers to the model B, but I can't find it. I don't have the Waits book.
8C317AE8-9DD5-4410-8CF1-A102A381AFEA.jpeg

This razor, which isn't playing by the rules in the AutoStrop typology thread. Do you have a picture of the real model B? Somewhere around here I have an AutoStrop pamphlet that refers to the model B, but I can't find it. I don't have the Waits book
As far as I’m concerned that’s a B1. It has the B1 blade stops that are bent over from the side. Technically the B1 should only say “AutoStrop” on it. The VB1 was the first to say “Valet Autostrop” (thus the “V”) but the blade stops have been changed to being bent up from the bottom leading edge.
There is no doubt in my mind that the surplus stock of B1‘s were assembled with the new “Valet” branded blade holders until the stock of the older models was depleted.

VC1 vs B was the agenda. Decisive result. My first shave with the B.

I prepped patiently with Col Conk Amber and a Solid Set reknotted boar. The shaving lather was built from an Arko stick and a Durobuilt reknotted SHD badger.

I shaved the right side with the VC1 with two passes plus clean up, then left side with the B. I used the same punched Feather VHS in each razor. This was the second side-by-side test using this blade.
5EA85D86-FADE-419F-A527-0B9A898557C7.jpeg

Comparison:

>Loading, both razors use the same blade holding system, which could take a tweaked Gem blade. The B back clamp is more worn, so it is easily loaded and unloaded. Both hold the blade tightly once the blade stops are engaged. Only the VC1 could use the milder AutoStrop 'settings'.
>Closeness, the B was a clear winner. It quickly improved on the VC1's work on cleaning up my most difficult neck swirl. This was my closest shave with an FHS blade.
>Both sides were smooth experiences. The VC1 held a slight advantage.

Given my preferences, the B is a clear winner. Given that it is rarer razor, in less than perfect shape, a VC1 (or an AutoStrop to be found later) will probably be my most frequently used AutoStrop.

VC1 vs B was the agenda. Decisive result. My first shave with the B.

I prepped patiently with Col Conk Amber and a Solid Set reknotted boar. The shaving lather was built from an Arko stick and a Durobuilt reknotted SHD badger.

I shaved the right side with the VC1 with two passes plus clean up, then left side with the B. I used the same punched Feather VHS in each razor. This was the second side-by-side test using this blade.
View attachment 1210959

Comparison:

>Loading, both razors use the same blade holding system, which could take a tweaked Gem blade. The B back clamp is more worn, so it is easily loaded and unloaded. Both hold the blade tightly once the blade stops are engaged. Only the VC1 could use the milder AutoStrop 'settings'.
>Closeness, the B was a clear winner. It quickly improved on the VC1's work on cleaning up my most difficult neck swirl. This was my closest shave with an FHS blade.
>Both sides were smooth experiences. The VC1 held a slight advantage.

Given my preferences, the B is a clear winner. Given that it is rarer razor, in less than perfect shape, a VC1 (or an AutoStrop to be found later) will probably be my most frequently used AutoStrop.
Do you find that the B1 is a little more grabby when the angle gets a little steeper? (eg: beneath the nose)
Now if you really want to be sure of your data, you could repeat this shave, but switch hands.

Do you find that the B1 is a little more grabby when the angle gets a little steeper? (eg: beneath the nose)

I can't even remember what shaving beneath my nose requires! I have given myself a full shave a few times since I started sporting a beard in the late 70s. But the last time was years back, before I retired and took up shaving as a hobby.

So the steep angle shaving for me happens when shaving away from the edges of facial hair. I did not notice any grabbing.

I have that one VC1 that hides the shaving edge (at least with a modified Gem) below the rise of the comb teeth. That makes me wonder if AutoStrop quality control delivered razors with consistent shave qualities within models. I have enough VC1s that I could explore that question, once I finish trying different models and blades.

I really was not intending to go out on a buying spree, but everything just came up at once and I seem to be acquiring all the razors in one fell swoop. Today, I have received a Valet VB2. Been wanting one for a bit, and this one seemed spotless. It is pretty close, I think. There was a bit of green patina on the undercarriage, which came right up. And the strop does not seem to want to unravel from the holder. Otherwise, the only problem is the release latch is stiff. Very stiff. I am almost afraid I'm damaging the razor by moving it (anyone know how to lubricate it?). Otherwise, this sucker appears perfect. Looking forward to trying it out -- once I get to the point where I am ready to rotate in a new razor.

JPEG image-6D8FBA349708-1.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-2.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-3.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-4.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-5.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-6.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-7.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-8.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-9.jpegJPEG image-6D8FBA349708-10.jpeg

Nice find!
Warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush, (dish soap) should fix about any problem with a razor.
A little stiffness shouldn’t bother it. Probably means it’s new and not worn loose.

Nice find!
Warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush, (dish soap) should fix about any problem with a razor.
A little stiffness shouldn’t bother it. Probably means it’s new and not worn loose.

Yup! Green patina came right off. Still have not worked the stiffness out. This is definitely a razor with more heft to it. And I am seeing the difference between silver and nickel plating here, seeing how much this one cleans up compared with so many other nickel razors I'd cleaned.

I just got my second AutoStrop for a song. It should be here next week, but until then do you guys concur that this is a VC1?
20210121_100703.jpg

20210121_100735.jpg

I really was not intending to go out on a buying spree, but everything just came up at once and I seem to be acquiring all the razors in one fell swoop. Today, I have received a Valet VB2. Been wanting one for a bit, and this one seemed spotless. It is pretty close, I think. There was a bit of green patina on the undercarriage, which came right up. And the strop does not seem to want to unravel from the holder. Otherwise, the only problem is the release latch is stiff. Very stiff. I am almost afraid I'm damaging the razor by moving it (anyone know how to lubricate it?). Otherwise, this sucker appears perfect. Looking forward to trying it out -- once I get to the point where I am ready to rotate in a new razor.

View attachment 1211125View attachment 1211126View attachment 1211127View attachment 1211128View attachment 1211129View attachment 1211130View attachment 1211131View attachment 1211132View attachment 1211133View attachment 1211134

Very nice find! The lever should loosen with use, but a tiny shot of penetrating oil should help if necessary to free it up. I would not touch the screws.

The lever moves the back of the comb piece between two surfaces. Both the upper and lower gaps should get a little lube. But try a nice hot water soak with Dawn first, that might be enough.

And the strop does not seem to want to unravel from the holder.

It should pull out as a folded unit, then be unfolded (and maybe never put back). If it needs lube to come out I would try working a saddle soap lather into the stuck parts before I went to neatsfoot oil or strop dressing.

Top Bottom