What's new

Razor Re-Plating Experience

I've purchased a handful of re-plated vintage razors and have a couple being re-plated now. Since I have learned a bit through this process, I thought I would share some of my experiences.

First, I have a couple of re-plated razors I purchased from Razor Emporium's inventory. They look great, but I have not used them enough to say how well the plating will hold up. There are several threads about RE on B&B, with several members having bad experiences. Unfortunately, I did not see those threads before doing business with them. However, their communication has been great, and shipping timely. I am waiting to get a razor back that is being re-plated and I will update you when I can comment on the quality.

Second, I purchased a re-plated razor from Chris at Back Roads Gold that is spectacular in every way. I also have not used this razor enough to speak to longevity, but Chris has been a pleasure to work with, and B&B members have had great experiences with Back Roads Gold.

Third, I got so nervous about the Gillette Ranger I sent RE not being handled properly I purchased a second Ranger to cover my bases in the event RE dropped the ball. Regarding communication and updates, RE has been great, but I was still nervous. The second Ranger I purchased arrived in wonderful shape, except for some missing plating on the doors atop the razor. After a day or so, I decided I didn't like the missing plating and sent the razor to Back Roads Gold for re-plating.

This morning, Chris messaged me with a question about what I wanted to be done and commented that the Ranger I sent him was, in his opinion, re-plated by RE because they put down a copper layer, then a very thin nickel layer. I saw the copper layer showing through where the nickel was missing on the doors. 1) I am happy to be working with Chris. 2) Now, I am nervous about the quality I will receive from the RE re-plating. Considering the lengths RE goes to in their literature about re-plating and talking up how thick their layup is, I was disappointed to learn of the shoddy re-plating on the other razor I purchased. The good news is the second Razor I bought was cheap, and Chris is now doing it correctly.

I have a nice Gillette Tech NEW Long Comb re-plate from RE that shaves well, but the plating isn't anything special. I also have a beautiful gold-plated Slim Adjustable, but I can't speak to durability since I have only had it briefly.

The verdict? RE is probably fine for soft goods, but at this point, I do not trust their workmanship with re-plating razors. They seem to be cutting corners to save money and charging a premium. Everyone needs to make their own decision, and I chalk all my interactions up to a learning experience. If any of the razors I have show signs of faulty plating, I know I can rely on Chris and Back Roads Gold. If I had known of Chris when I started all of this, I would have bought functional but rough-looking razors for cheap, then sent them to Chris to be re-plated. When all was said and done, the total cost would be equal to or less than the cost of an RE razor, without the stress of wondering if I was getting a good product. Between the reputational issues with RE and potential quality concerns of their re-plating, I do not see any reason to take the risk. YMMV.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold doesn't have any YouTube videos out..... I don't know if he does any advertising other than having a site at Etsy.... but his reputation here on B&B is stellar and well deserved, as you are finding out.

He replated a couple Vintage Gillettes for me that I ultimately sold before using, as I started to gravitate towards the modern CNC razors. He also did an Overlander for me in his hardened 24K gold and it was spectacular.

I will soon have two brass razors and have been considering getting them plated in the same 24K hardened gold..... It remains to be seen how much work the brass is. I have several bronze razors that require very little upkeep, so I haven't considered getting them gold plated.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
???

Seems like Chris has a few vids. Just search for "back roads gold" at youtoob. Five of the first 10-12 results were BRG videos.
I did a search before I posted that.... perhaps I didn't scroll down far enough or put in enough information in the search box. I had entered just "Back Roads Gold"... but I am in Bali at the moment. That might have skewed the results.

I'll look again.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I checked again and see what I did.... It was 4AM when I did that search... and typed in "bac,k" instead of "back".. that would do it.

My intended point was.... word of mouth is often the best advertisement you can get... There is nothing like satisfied customers to keep others showing up.

Razor Empourium does everything in the replating process in their shop.

They do not send plating to some third party.

Having actually been on their shop tour when they hosted AZ Wet Shave Meetup I was impressed.

Having look at some of the recondition and replatevGillettescfor sale.

Again impress with band for buck.

Bottom line is anyone choosing a company to refurburish & replate vintage is making personal choice.

I checked again and see what I did.... It was 4AM when I did that search... and typed in "bac,k" instead of "back".. that would do it.

My intended point was.... word of mouth is often the best advertisement you can get... There is nothing like satisfied customers to keep others showing up.

I hope it didn't seem that I was trying to police you, but I thought that I remembered some vids on YouTube. 🙂

...but I still hate you for being in Bali, when I'm in a much colder Michigan, with an equally crappy internet connection. 😄

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hope it didn't seem that I was trying to police you, but I thought that I remembered some vids on YouTube. 🙂

...but I still hate you for being in Bali, when I'm in a much colder Michigan, with an equally crappy internet connection. 😄
I didn't take offense as I knew that wasn't your intention. I sit corrected....I'm glad the record was set straight and I'm glad Chris has a YouTube presence. His website is so easy to navigate and he keeps you informed every step of the way as your razor passes from stage to stage in his plating or replating processes. I was impressed.

I've purchased a handful of re-plated vintage razors and have a couple being re-plated now. Since I have learned a bit through this process, I thought I would share some of my experiences.

First, I have a couple of re-plated razors I purchased from Razor Emporium's inventory. They look great, but I have not used them enough to say how well the plating will hold up. There are several threads about RE on B&B, with several members having bad experiences. Unfortunately, I did not see those threads before doing business with them. However, their communication has been great, and shipping timely. I am waiting to get a razor back that is being re-plated and I will update you when I can comment on the quality.

Second, I purchased a re-plated razor from Chris at Back Roads Gold that is spectacular in every way. I also have not used this razor enough to speak to longevity, but Chris has been a pleasure to work with, and B&B members have had great experiences with Back Roads Gold.

Third, I got so nervous about the Gillette Ranger I sent RE not being handled properly I purchased a second Ranger to cover my bases in the event RE dropped the ball. Regarding communication and updates, RE has been great, but I was still nervous. The second Ranger I purchased arrived in wonderful shape, except for some missing plating on the doors atop the razor. After a day or so, I decided I didn't like the missing plating and sent the razor to Back Roads Gold for re-plating.

This morning, Chris messaged me with a question about what I wanted to be done and commented that the Ranger I sent him was, in his opinion, re-plated by RE because they put down a copper layer, then a very thin nickel layer. I saw the copper layer showing through where the nickel was missing on the doors. 1) I am happy to be working with Chris. 2) Now, I am nervous about the quality I will receive from the RE re-plating. Considering the lengths RE goes to in their literature about re-plating and talking up how thick their layup is, I was disappointed to learn of the shoddy re-plating on the other razor I purchased. The good news is the second Razor I bought was cheap, and Chris is now doing it correctly.

I have a nice Gillette Tech NEW Long Comb re-plate from RE that shaves well, but the plating isn't anything special. I also have a beautiful gold-plated Slim Adjustable, but I can't speak to durability since I have only had it briefly.

The verdict? RE is probably fine for soft goods, but at this point, I do not trust their workmanship with re-plating razors. They seem to be cutting corners to save money and charging a premium. Everyone needs to make their own decision, and I chalk all my interactions up to a learning experience. If any of the razors I have show signs of faulty plating, I know I can rely on Chris and Back Roads Gold. If I had known of Chris when I started all of this, I would have bought functional but rough-looking razors for cheap, then sent them to Chris to be re-plated. When all was said and done, the total cost would be equal to or less than the cost of an RE razor, without the stress of wondering if I was getting a good product. Between the reputational issues with RE and potential quality concerns of their re-plating, I do not see any reason to take the risk. YMMV.
I think there were some unfair rumors going around about Razor Emporium that had more to do with someone else that was starting up a similar business that Matt was actually helping and providing some support and advice. When that other company went under Matt essentially took over The projects that had not been completed to try to service the customers and finish the jobs that the other company left undone. I think that was the source of some frustration. Matt never became defensive about this and never posted parts of this story. I heard about them as part of an exchange in another forum where someone was reporting a bad purchase experience (I think purchased a new straight razor that arrived poorly honed) with Razor Emporium, however, Matt became involved in the two of them eventually worked out to both of their satisfaction customer in question actually had very complimentary things to say about Matt in the end. All of my experiences with their company, whether it is purchasing items from them or using their plating services, been nothing but top-notch.

I think there were some unfair rumors going around about Razor Emporium that had more to do with someone else that was starting up a similar business that Matt was actually helping and providing some support and advice. When that other company went under Matt essentially took over The projects that had not been completed to try to service the customers and finish the jobs that the other company left undone. I think that was the source of some frustration. Matt never became defensive about this and never posted parts of this story. I heard about them as part of an exchange in another forum where someone was reporting a bad purchase experience (I think purchased a new straight razor that arrived poorly honed) with Razor Emporium, however, Matt became involved in the two of them eventually worked out to both of their satisfaction customer in question actually had very complimentary things to say about Matt in the end. All of my experiences with their company, whether it is purchasing items from them or using their plating services, been nothing but top-notch.
That and there seem to be a couple of gents here that, as soon as RE is mentioned, can't wait to give their unsollicited opinion on RE and always mention what a douchebag the other guy in Phoenix is too.
But, in their defense, there have been some pictures of a REX razor where the CNC clearly had an off day and that was handled very badly by RE.
I have never read anything bad about BRG so do the math.... Pun intended.

I think there were some unfair rumors going around about Razor Emporium that had more to do with someone else that was starting up a similar business that Matt was actually.

In court of judgement there are mostly 3 sides of story.

Party A’s.

Party B’s

100% Truth.

My tale after reading do of - negative comments, many commenting are just making noise. With no personal expirtence with vendor.

Mob mentality like those call for hanging horse thief with out trail.

All well and good until they are accused of crime.

I’ve been around for a while. Have examples of many replaters work and read many first hand stories. I think I may have an old type top cap from them. Not much to use as an example but for now I’ll stick to backroadsgold and razorplate.com
IMG_4779.jpeg

This is the last major example from RE that stuck out in my head:

Never figured out if it got fixed and the softened lines (maybe thick plating?) doesn‘t impress me.

I‘d have someone else replate a toggle
IMG_4999.jpeg
IMG_5001.jpeg

I don't need to be a customer of either of the shill brothers as there is more than its fair share of bad dealings posted about them in, not only this forum, but a few others as well and the shills brought all the negativity upon themselves with the way they treat they're customer base and the bad services they provide!!

If someone wants to do business with them I would never stand in their way but be forewarned, don't bother coming back to any forum and post your sad stories about being ripped off by them because more than just a handful of people warned that it will happen again and it has, time and time again, as proved by all the negative stories of dealing with the shill brothers....

:popc:

I have had 2 razors done by Chris at BRG (48 Gold Aristocrat & 48 Nickel English Flat Bottom Tech), and both came back in perfectly new condition. I researched and talked to others prior to picking Chris for the jobs. His work is quality, with massive attention to detail...and he has restored thousands of razors. IMHO, your odds of a successful outcome are the highest with Chris.

Have heard great things about BRG but no direct experience with them.

Will try to attach some photos of work RE has done on my non-vintage pieces

IMG_1611.jpeg
IMG_1489.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    676.5 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom