What's new

Thoughts on where to go for a bespoke suit???

I was in a Jos A Bank store once. Once was enough.

For many years I worked with a fine tailor; she was a "doctor." Her PhD was in theatre/costume design. She could turn off the rack into a perfect fit. But she and I are both now out to pasture.

There is a lot involved in getting a bespoke suit. The first thing involved is looking at catalogues of various types of suits and choosing the style you need. Next is choosing the material, there are hundreds of different samples to look at. You also choose the lining material.

Then you choose options. What kind of pockets and flaps, straight or angled, how many buttons, what color buttons. How many pockets on the inside of the jacket. What kind of cuffs, how many buttons, you can get a functional cuff or a faux cuff.

What kind of pleats on the trousers, what kind of pockets, fasteners, belt loops, etc. Lined, unlined, semi-lined, long, short, or regular. Hidden pockets are also an option.

Then it is time for the measurements. Arms, legs, inseam, out seam, waist, belly, chest, neck, back, etc.

Later you have to come back again, when the shell of the suit is ready. You put it on, and it is measured and pinned in the appropriate places.

When the suit is ready, you can pick it up, or have it delivered. If you wear more than one suit, it is good to get as many made at one time as possible, it saves a lot of time.

Jos. A Bank...seriously! :mad2:

OK, I'll bite, why is Jos. A Bank so bad? In speaking with one of the salesmen I understand that you choose your fabric, from a wide range of choices including Eremengildo Zegna and other equally well known names. You then choose the sewn-in (not glued in) interior liner fabric style and design, how many pockets and style of flap, how many and types of inside pockets, whether the trousers are pleated or not, etc. Not sure if you have a choice of fasteners, belt loops, etc., but I would be surprised if you could not also choose lined vs. unlined, etc.

This sounds like a bespoke suit to me, albeit not one that will cost me $1000s, as opposed to a MTM, but I could be wrong.

Tim

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Actually, it sounds
OK, I'll bite, why is Jos. A Bank so bad? In speaking with one of the salesmen I understand that you choose your fabric, from a wide range of choices including Eremengildo Zegna and other equally well known names. You then choose the sewn-in (not glued in) interior liner fabric style and design, how many pockets and style of flap, how many and types of inside pockets, whether the trousers are pleated or not, etc. Not sure if you have a choice of fasteners, belt loops, etc., but I would be surprised if you could not also choose lined vs. unlined, etc.

This sounds like a bespoke suit to me, albeit not one that will cost me $1000s, as opposed to a MTM, but I could be wrong.

Tim

Actually, it sounds more like MTM. I'd be surprised if JAB offered true bespoke. But that doesn't mean they're not nice suits or wouldn't fit you well. JAB got a bad rap from their years of offering "buy 1 get 3 free", which was a thinly veiled marketing gimmick to sell cheap suits. It doesn't help that JAB is now owned by Men's Wearhouse. I've heard that JAB's more expensive suits are decent and a pretty good value. JAB and MW are also infamous for aggressive, pushy sales staff who don't know diddly about fit or style. I'm sure that varies store to store, so maybe you've got a good one in your town.

strop

Now half as wise
The JAB suit is MTM. I looked at them while I was in the store waiting for my brother to pick out a suit. Lots of options and a wide variety of fabric/price points to choose.

The JAB suit is MTM. I looked at them while I was in the store waiting for my brother to pick out a suit. Lots of options and a wide variety of fabric/price points to choose.

Yes, this is what I have come to learn as well. And, it makes sense considering the under $2000 price point of the suits they are talking about.

At this point, from a career and especially a financial perspective, I think an MTM option is what I will go with. I am just not at a point where I could afford a true bespoke suit in the $2000 to $4000 range.

Tim

Top Bottom