What's new

Thoughts on the black pinstripe double-breasted suit?

I love double breasted suits, but pretty much never wear mine to the office anymore as I work with clients and just don't want questions about my dress. I have a great black, pinstripe double breasted Purple label ralph lauren from when they were made by Chester Barrie (great deal at an outlet.. really great deal!). Anyway, it's still in style because it was done in a classic way and I've now worn it for almost two decades.

So my advice would be to get something that is classic enough that it won't go out of style soon, but also well made enough so that you can guarantee years of service from it with proper care.

I concur with the majority; the second suit looks much better. Very classic and stylish. The one on the top just looks off. I like wide lapels, but those look comically wide. And the hacking pockets don't work at all. First off the informality of the hacking pockets clash with the formality of the DB suit. And secondly, they make the hips look wider, which is doubly bad on a DB jacket that already widens one's profile.

Agreeing with the rest and you on this. The second suit is stylish and memorable, but classic enough to never really go out of fashion - it's essentially the black PS DB that I have. Additionally, it is cut well as to make just about anyone look better.

Double breasted suits are VERY hard to pull off and IMO are for tall and or skinny guys. The cut and the lapels can make the torso look really wide.

I concur a tux is more useful for galas and fundraising events. In fact... with work being entirely business casual, I wear my tux more than any suit.

When deciding how to dress for my jobs, I found that taking cues from others at a similar level at the firm who are well respected can be a good starting point. It sounds like you are in a financially oriented firm in or near NYC and have been elevated to a senior position. So congrats are definitely in order. I have spent my career in the world of private banking and the rule of the day is typically conservative, navy, charcoal gray, glen plaid, solid or pinstripe (but never chalk stripe) and usually single breasted. Interestingly the uniform doesn’t vary much but what sets the more senior people apart is the quality of their attire and how well tailored it is. In addition, choice of tie, nice shoes, french cuffs can help create your own individual style. You may want to rethink your choice of black though. And if your firm is in the business of fund raising your funding sources re probably high net worth individuals. In that arena, conservative is highly valued. Just my 2 cents, whatever that’s worth.

Congratulations! Echoing others above, I think a DB suit would be over the top in most work scenarios. I would also see how the boss dresses, and don't outdress him or her. I'd go with charcoal or navy, or both if you can, and pinstripes are totally acceptable. Unless you plan on attending a lot of funerals, stay away from black.

+3! Congrats!

This is totally a function of your work environment. A pin-striped DB suit would be fine for the City in London! Definitely not here in Seattle (where a neck tie is a statement)!

Here’s an example of what I would think a modern DB suit is based on what I’ve bought from this shop before: Shop Suits for Men Online or in Store - Working Style

Personally I don’t like DB, I think they’re hard for people to pull off and unless you’re a more fashionista type person who wears it with an ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude then they look rather naff.

You might like it but seeing as your job involves fundraising it’s no doubt important what others think so I’ll just offer the above as my opinion, of which I’m sure I won’t be the only one in 2017/18 in terms of the DB suit.

I never met my father’s father as he passed before I was born. But from what I have hear about him I would really have liked to meet him. He was a clothing manufacturer and sold men’s suits. I was going through some old family photos and found one of him at some fancy function. He was sitting at table with some other people and he was right in front so it offered a full shot of him rocking a double breasted suit. Even though it was from the 40s or 50s and black and white you could see that the suit had a sheen to it. Not my style but it seemed perfect on him as he sat there with a big cigar in his hand. You could also tell it fit him well and was tailored perfectly even though he was sitting. He looked like a million bucks as they say.

I like the look of a good DB suit but think the black pinstripe would look gangster. IMO, a dark charcoal grey with muted stripes would be much better and more versatile.

The suit I wear most frequently is this combination. Dark charcoal grey, muted pinstripes. My other suit is also a pinstripe. What I call a "summer" brown with a muted blue pinstripe.
upload_2017-12-14_10-30-12.jpeg

Like a couple of other posters, the first thing that came to my mind is that it's a very British look.
The second thing I associate it with is sports stars.
Wouldn't you know, I just this day saw a current picture of Magic Johnson in a black pinstripe double-breasted suit!

Top Bottom