What's new

Thoughts on the black pinstripe double-breasted suit?

Being something of a fashionista (my wife's incrimination) i am excited to "up my game" for the new position. We just had a major fundraising event, a NYC Gala at Cipriani's, that brought out lots of fashion (including Joseph Abboud) celebrity, and music talent.

If major fundraising events will be a regular occasion, would purchasing a stylish and well tailored tux be more appropriate?

<unless there is something particularly attention-grabbing about it>

I cannot quite tell whether a DB in my general circles of interaction would count as particularly attention-grabbing or not. I suspect that if the master of ceremonies at repeated events always wore a particular DB suit, I would notice that it was DB and might recall that it seemed to be exactly the same suit each time.

A variety of DB suits would be a different impression, at least to me. I do not think in this instance the OP is looking to establish a visual connection with a particular suit.

This is one of the beautiful things about a tux, by the way!

BTW, for all I would know, DB suits are coming back in everyday fashion. If that is so, a DB suit is not going to look remarkable.

Also, I would prefer charcoal or, say, navy, over "black," I think. But I am not as opposed to black with pin, or more likely, chalk, stripes, as I would be to black suits overall, as I think the stripes take the suit out of waiter/undertaker realms.

Lot's of excellent advice and discussion here that is very much appreciated.

I don't have a particular worry about becoming "that guy with the db suit" because I would not over-use it or wear it to the same event season over season. I already have one bespoke suit, a classic medium blue suit with subtle pinstripe as well as other really sharp suits to wear to such events. I just am thinking that having one db suit would be a nice addition to my wardrobe.

And, I will avoid a solid black and likely go for a really dark charcoal with a subtle chalk pinstripe.

Will share some photos once I make a final decision. And, as one badger suggested, I will definitely seek advice from Joseph Abboud himself.

Tim

Here are some examples of what I was thinking of:
Charcoal-Gray-Pinstripe-Wool-Suit-1636.jpg

Double-Breasted-Navy-Wool-Suits-1732.jpg

Tim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't have a particular worry about becoming "that guy with the db suit" because I would not over-use it or wear it to the same event season over season. I already have one bespoke suit, a classic medium blue suit with subtle pinstripe as well as other really sharp suits to wear to such events. I just am thinking that having one db suit would be a nice addition to my wardrobe.

You sound well-suited ... ba-dum tchhh ... to avoiding "that guy" status.

And, I will avoid a solid black and likely go for a really dark charcoal with a subtle chalk pinstripe.

Sounds good ...

Will share some photos once I make a final decision.

Can't wait!

I like the second of the two suits.

The lapels on the first one seem too wide. I would not wear that tie that it paired with the first one. Too thick, methinks, for 2017. Looks like something out of London a couple of decades ago. The DB with very wide lapels and the massively knotted tie was a look I am not sure ever caught on in the states. I recognize it only from Brit TV shows.

The stripes on either work for me.

The suit in the second photo actually looks a bit longer than many modern suits, at least single-breasted ones. If that is an evolution of fashion, I welcome it. Seems to me for a time Burberry suits were cut just a little longer than most American suits. It seemed flattering to me.

Not that I really know anything!

Last edited:

The lapels on the first one seem too wide. I would not wear that tie that it paired with the first one. Too thick, methinks, for 2017. Looks like something out of London a couple of decades ago. The DB with very wide lapels and the massively knotted tie was a look I am not sure ever caught on in the states. I recognize it only from Brit TV shows.

The suit in the second photo actually looks a bit longer than many modern suits, at least single-breasted ones. If that is an evolution of fashion, I welcome it. Seems to me for a time Burberry suits were cut just a little longer than most American suits. It seemed flattering to me.

You and I seem to have kindred tastes. I too really like the look of the second suit. Being on the short side for a guy, at 5'6", I think the vertical pinstripe pattern and a slightly longer jacket length will visually offer me the appearance of a little more height.

Tim

The first one definitely looks like something out of the 70's (looks like polyester), it would look perfect on Austin Powers! I like the 2nd one as well.

BTW, I really like French cuffs with the second suit. Links and DB just seem to go together. I was surprised that the Cranston photo was a fairly blah gray barrel cuff shirt!

Here are some examples of what I was thinking of:
View attachment 831686

View attachment 831687

Tim
I could see both working well. The wide lapels is even more of statement, but you can see that. I tend to like dark blue with stripes as opposed to grey or black, but that really just taste. I also think the blue one is a bit more of a classic DB. Since a DB is already a statement, and there is a greater risk that it will look dated as compared to SB, I might stick to the most traditional.

One additional word of caution.

I found with DB's that fit is even harder to nail down. I'm fairly thin and a lot of suites look good on me if the fit is slim as opposed to "athletic". However, I've tried on DB's from designers that usually look good on me, that are trim cuts, and they often look horrible. It's really hard to nail it, and I'd encourage you to go to a retailer or make sure your on-line provider has no-questions asked return policy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd encourage you to go to a retailer or make sure your on-line provider has no-questions asked return policy.

I don't think the OP will have to worry about that. He's going one better and ...

this career advance will offer me an opportunity to have a bespoke suit designed and made for me by none-other than Joseph Abboud!

... getting an actual bespoke suit made.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I didn't know Joseph abboud is owned by tailored brands. (Men's wearhouse and jos bank)

I didn't know Joseph abboud is owned by tailored brands. (Men's wearhouse and jos bank)

Not sure I flow the phrasing of your statement. But, just to clarify, Joseph Abboud designs and manufacture off-the-rack suits that are sold in Men's Wearhouse and Jos A Bank. But he also owns a store on Madison Ave in NYC and another out in CT.

It is likely I would travel to his store on CT to have the measurements taken for the bespoke suit to be made for me.

Tim

I don't think the OP will have to worry about that. He's going one better and ...

... getting an actual bespoke suit made.

You’re right. I’d forgotten that from the OP. However, my concern remains. Even a well tailored DB can look awkward. I’ve never done a bespoke suit. But I’d be concerned if I didn’t know a particular design worked on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm not being critical. But j abboud sold his brand to tailored brands (for 1.8 billion) and the flagship store in NYC was opened after the sale / purchase.

I don't see a ct store. But apparently there is a factory store in new Bedford (i would like to check that out) I see they give tours of the factory. Custom suits are made there.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I concur with the majority; the second suit looks much better. Very classic and stylish. The one on the top just looks off. I like wide lapels, but those look comically wide. And the hacking pockets don't work at all. First off the informality of the hacking pockets clash with the formality of the DB suit. And secondly, they make the hips look wider, which is doubly bad on a DB jacket that already widens one's profile.

Top Bottom