What's new

Bespoke suit

It has been awhile since I last bought a suit, probably because now that I am self-employed I don't often need to wear one. In the past I usually went to Neiman Marcus, chose a good off-the-rack suit, and had them fit it to me. But since I moved to Japan, I have resisted getting a new suit for a few reasons. First, I dislike the popular styles in Japan, and next, sizes here are quite limited. I usually put off buying any clothes or shoes until I visit America, where I can more easily find my size, and get a better price.

But my father-in-law gave me a nice gift for the spring, a new suit made by his suit maker. For the New Year's holiday, I gave him a new Gibson Les Paul Standard guitar, the suit was his way of saying thanks. And it was a generous thanks, the suit ended up costing much more than the guitar.

The tailor and his assistant came by our home, and brought a case of sample fabrics, buttons, lining material, and a few catalogs. I chose the cloth I wanted, then the style of suit which I wanted. Then the type of collar, pockets, vents, cell phone pocket, lining, button holes, and buttons. I was then measured in just about every way imaginable, and then measured again, to make sure the numbers were all correct. The process took about an hour.

Two weeks later, the tailor returned with a mocked up suit basted together with an assortment of threads. I put on the "suit", and the threads were removed while the sleeve length, openings for the arms, collar, and other parts were checked, and then pinned together. The tailor made sure that the suit hung just right, with enough room for comfort. He brought some more samples in case I changed my mind about any of the details, and after another hour, the fitting was done.

The suit will be delivered in about 3 weeks, in time for my sister-in-law's wedding. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result, and to getting to wear it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nice!

I'm going to start giving out guitars as Christmas presents.

Are there any American tailors that do Bespoke work?

There is one company that will make custom shirts by mail-order ... www.nattyshirts.com

I've not ordered from them yet, but their prices look very reasonable and they have a huge inventory of styles and fabrics to choose from. Next time I need nice shirts, I might give them a try. Probably order one just to check 'em out, and if they do good with one, I'll return with a repeat order for 4~5 more in different colors and patterns.

Really, only 37 sheckels??

Yeah ... like I said, I have not ordered from them yet, but the research I did on them showed good reviews from existing customers.

$37 seems ridiculously cheap for a custom shirt, but that's what they charge. Cheaper even than a lot of nice off-rack shirts.

My only concern is about how to get the sizing right ... I'd have to get somebody local to measure me, since I can only guess at what size I am. I know what size my existing shirts are, but they don't necessarily fit right the way they are, which is why I'd like to go for custom-made. But the exact size I need is still in question.

Are there any American tailors that do Bespoke work?

There is one company that will make custom shirts by mail-order ... www.nattyshirts.com

I've not ordered from them yet, but their prices look very reasonable and they have a huge inventory of styles and fabrics to choose from. Next time I need nice shirts, I might give them a try. Probably order one just to check 'em out, and if they do good with one, I'll return with a repeat order for 4~5 more in different colors and patterns.

More expensive than natty, but there's also Ledbury, Spier & Mackay, Proper Cloth, Deo Veritas, Ratio, Luxire, Modern Label, Blank Label

Top Bottom