What's new

The Winner's Circle (fans of The Winning Razor)

Labor Day shave

Cold water used
Cella Crema Da Barba shave soap, red
Simpson Trafalgar T3 synthetic brush
Bicrops lather bowl
Winning (Yates/WSC) razor
Gillette Nacet blade (new)
Pinaud Clubman after shave

This was the usual three pass shave; WTG, XTG, ATG.
The Winning razor did a very good job today. It's been a while since I've used it, and I was surprised at the "no blade" feel of this razor. Compared to the more aggressive razors I've used lately, it's very mild. No weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. A good shave.

9.75/10

Have a good shave, everyone!

Labor Day shave:

Razor: Yates/WSC Winning
Blade: Dorco ST-300 (2nd use)
Pre-shave: Proraso
Lather: Proraso white
Aftershave: Proraso balm

After using the R41 and Lupo 95 OC, I was interested in comparing the Winning's performance. It still works really well for me despite being comparatively milder. It gave me a very high-quality irritation-free shave in 2 passes with some touch-up. Still a fan of the Winning; great razor IMO.

Tuesday shave

Cold water used
Cella Crema Da Barba shave soap, red
Yaqi Timerwolf 24mm synthetic brush
Bicrops lather bowl
Gillette Nacet blade (2)
Aqua Velva after shave

This was not the usual three pass shave, but ATG and touch ups only. Didn't plan on shaving, but had enough stubble to warrant a shave.
The Winning razor did a good job today. It's a good candidate for a daily driver. No weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. A good shave.

9.25/10

Winning Wednesday shave:

Razor: Yates/WSC Winning razor
Blade: Dorco ST300 (4th/final use)
Pre-shave: 3 drops Shave Secret on lower neck
Brush: Razorock "Big Bruce"
Lather: Arko
Aftershave: Proraso balm (with some added menthol powder)

Got Arko-rific lather this morning. The Winning is nicely efficient and easy to use with the "automatic" shave angle. Result was a high quality, irritation-free shave with a good smooth post-shave feel. The Winning is slightly less efficient than my more aggressive razors but very smooth. Rating: 9.3/10.

Thursday shave

Cold water used throughout the shave
Cella Crema Da Barba red shave soap
Bicrops lather bowl
Perfecto badger brush
Gillette Nacet blade (3)
St. Johns Utility Bay Rum after shave

This was the third consecutive shave with the Winning razor, since I get three shaves out of a blade. This consecutive usage allows me to know the razor better than a daily rotation of razors.

What I have discovered with the Winning is that my best shave comes from a single ATG pass with touch ups. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works.

9.5/10

What I have discovered with the Winning is that my best shave comes from a single ATG pass with touch ups. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Winning Wednesday

Blade: RK Stainless (2nd use)
Lather: alba botanica and Godrej Cinthol mix, hand applied; used some Head Slick for a 2nd pass
Aftershave: Proraso white with some menthol powder

Another high quality shave from the Winning: It somehow manages to be quite efficient for me despite being relatively mild.

Friday's shave --

Blade: RK Stainless (1st use)
Lather: Godrej Cintrol cream

For today's shave, I hand-applied the cream and then face-lathered with a damp synthetic brush. This produced a very nice and slick lather layer. For some reason the Winning provides a surprising level of efficiency despite being pretty mild. This razor is a great go-to for an "auto-pilot" shave.

This morning, I was short on time and I decided to test if I could use the Winning like I used to use my cartridge razors. I spread a thin layer of alba botanica cream shave on my face, loaded a blade into the Winning, and shaved pretty quickly. My test result was a success: I got an irritation-free socially acceptable shave in about 5 minutes or so. I don't really enjoy shaving this way, but it's good to know it can be done.

I’ve been alternating between the winning and a Henson and I get great shaves from both. The winning tends to shave a bit closer but also requires a bit more of my attention during the shave. I have a bunch of other razors but I just don’t know why I’d use them!

Today's shave -

Razor: WSC/Yates Winning
Blade: RK Stainless (2nd use)
Lather: Arko

So far the Winning is the only mild razor that even comes close to my more aggressive razors in efficiency. For me it provides an intuitive shave angle and really good results. Get one if you have an opportunity - they occasionally appear on the BST.

There is a Winning in the BST forum now.

I am using my Winning right now. It is quite different than the Henson, which I've been using the aggressive and medium for the past month or two. Sure, they have similarities, but they are very different. I've seen some posts here saying that because they have one they know exactly what the other is like. I'm glad I have both and can keep tuning each in.

The Winning and Henson are different, that's for sure. The only real similiarity is the "automatic" shaving angle. The Henson and I did not get along at all: For me it's too light and performs very poorly in the efficiency category. (I know the Henson is well made with tight tolerances and all that, but for me this definitely does not translate into shaving performance.)

The Winning and Henson are different, that's for sure. The only real similiarity is the "automatic" shaving angle. The Henson and I did not get along at all: For me it's too light and performs very poorly in the efficiency category. (I know the Henson is well made with tight tolerances and all that, but for me this definitely does not translate into shaving performance.)
I feel the same way about the mild and medium.
Have you tried the +++? It's surprisingly efficient. Used with a Kai blade, it's amazing. It's not going to be on the level of the renown aggressive razors, but it has the ability of giving a very good, close shave without cuts or irritation. The +++ is one of my faves.

I feel the same way about the mild and medium.
Have you tried the +++? It's surprisingly efficient. Used with a Kai blade, it's amazing. It's not going to be on the level of the renown aggressive razors, but it has the ability of giving a very good, close shave without cuts or irritation. The +++ is one of my faves.
I'm sure the +++ is more efficient, but It's very doubtful I'll ever try it, for several reasons: 1) I don't like the feel of the Henson (shaving with it feels like I'm shaving with a cheap plastic cartridge razor, which I don't like), 2) the cost is a bit expensive to satisfy a curiosity (particularly for an aluminum razor), and 3) I don't like the look of the Henson handle (just a personal preference). I'll go ahead and stick with the Winning and my more aggressive razors.

Reactions: Kix
On the Winning, the corner of the razor is quite a bit further out than the corner of the blade. That makes it hard to shave under the nose, particularly given the large head. I was almost thinking about grinding the corner off more, sort of like the v2 Henson design, but I notice the outermost drain hole is too close.

I hope that if Yates releases an updated Winning-inspired design, that he improves upon the design in this way.

Inspired by my Blackland Era, I got o-rings for the Winning. I don't have trouble with the grip, but this still improves it. I wanted to pass it on to you all.

I used 10mm ID, 12mm OD, 1mm thick o-rings. These roll on easy and fit well. It might work to size down by a mm or 2, but I'd keep the 1mm thickness, as the grooves are not deep.

Attachments

• Winning1.jpeg
    Winning1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Winning2.jpeg
    Winning2.jpeg
    915.8 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom