What's new

The Winner's Circle (fans of The Winning Razor)

The Winner's Circle is for fans of the Winning razor.

The Winning razor was made by Yates Precision Manufacturing in Pennsylvania for the Wet Shaving Club. It is (was) an inexpensive but high quality stainless steel DE razor with a magnet in the handle.

Enjoy great shaves with the Winning!

Indeed people owning on the Winning razor truly are Winners, as it was an unbeatable deal of a razor - well-machined, moderately efficient and stupid easy to use. A steal of a deal I'd say compared to Yates and other razors.
All good things come to an end and I wish Jake Yates success with their own brand of YPM razors, which I ultimately had chosen over the Winning razor (I had to buy it two times just to be sure I prefer the Yates by a very slight margin).
viber_image_2021-12-29_13-20-08-225.jpg

The Winner's Circle is for fans of the Winning razor.

The Winning razor was made by Yates Precision Manufacturing in Pennsylvania for the Wet Shaving Club. It is (was) an inexpensive but high quality stainless steel DE razor with a magnet in the handle.

Enjoy great shaves with the Winning!
I'm loving my winner razor, really is efficient, smooth and comfortable

Wonder how many snapped it but just before they discontinued it

Btw one thing I love about the winning razor is the design of the side of the top cap, really does look like it's worth more then the actual cost, good quality for sure

I got mine on the closeout without even knowing they were on closeout. I feel very lucky as it is the perfect daily driver for me. Except I do wish it had a longer handle but I'll live or try a aftermarket handle or something.

Winning Polishing Project

I purchased this one to practice polishing. It's no Wolfman, but I am pleased with the results.

IMG_20220717_152422365.jpg

IMG_20220717_152524604.jpg

I used wet/dry sandpaper 400/600/1500/2000 then finished with Maas polish. Took about 2 hours by hand. Outside surfaces only.

I have been thinking about polishing mine. @ewk Have you noticed a difference in the face feel of the shave since polishing?

I used wet/dry sandpaper 400/600/1500/2000 then finished with Maas polish. Took about 2 hours by hand. Outside surfaces only.

Reactions: saj
You got a tutorial on how to do it?

Then again although I asked don't think I would risk messing it up lol
Start at the highest grit (lowest number), sand until the scratches are gone, then repeat with next finer grit until the scratches are gone. When you can see your reflection, you are done :)

I purchased a Winning Razor about a year ago and traded it. The weight is more than I prefer and I just was not using it very much. I have reduced my inventory significantly. When I saw the great price for this great razor a few weeks ago, I wanted the Winning back in my den, and I wanted to try polishing.

IMG_20220718_194326634.jpg

What has not changed is that the Winning provides super efficiency with maximum comfort. Two passes on the face and dome with light pickups left me with an easy BBS shave.

I do not feel at all restricted by the angles of the head; I hardly notice the faceted surfaces. The Winning does not cut at a shallow angle, but the natural 30 degree angle is quite intuitive.

Does the finish make a difference? I have to be honest and say that psychologically I am conditioned to think there is. If there is a difference, it is not huge or game-changing. I did not notice any of the "suction/friction/drag" feeling; glide was excellent.

This was also my first use of eleven soap, and it truly has exceptional slickness and glide. The soap may very well have eliminated the perceived razor drag.

I am glad to be a member of the Winner's Circle.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I get a closer shave with less irritation with the winning razor compared to any other DE I’ve used. What am I doing wrong with the other DEs?
It could be that the winning razor has the built in angle for you to dial in quicker. A few things that I always suggest is map beard grain direction first, it will reward you with less irritation with any razor system being used.
Another suggestion would be try a steep approach(riding the bar) it will possibly be easier to dial in your other razors quicker.
I like to use a shorter handle (less leverage & weight) when using this technique and it sort of give the operator a good way of blade feel and easier to regulate the amount you need.
Razor angle 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
It could be that the winning razor has the built in angle for you to dial in quicker. A few things that I always suggest is map beard grain direction first, it will reward you with less irritation with any razor system being used.
Another suggestion would be try a steep approach(riding the bar) it will possibly be easier to dial in your other razors quicker.
I like to use a shorter handle (less leverage & weight) when using this technique and it sort of give the operator a good way of blade feel and easier to regulate the amount you need.
View attachment 1491653
Have some great shaves!
Thanks. I mean it’s really not even close, the winning razor is that good for me.

Top Bottom