What's new

Yates Precision Queries and Clarity

Hi All,
Since my last post on the Razorock Sloc, you guys got me into Fatip and an Il Grosso OC in Gold is on the way. Now, I need some help with Yates Precision. I love what Jacob and His Wife Ashley have done with their company and their amazing communication skills with buyers,they truly rock.

My Regular Razors include The Rockwell ( Plate 4 or 5), Muhle R89 Twist and now the Razorock Sloc. I find all these super smooth and love them with my new fondness for the SLOC with a Feather Blade. I wanted to Purchase a Yates Razor and I know that there have been tons of discussions on their offerings but am still confused and any advice would be much appreciated.

1. Keeping the Razors I use in mind, I prefer my shave being close but smooth, so which Yates should I opt for, The Winning Razor , The Merica or the 921. Through videos and reviews, I figured that many love the Winning but some prefer the Merica as being more efficient.

2. If I get the Winning, should i wait for the Stainless Steel version which Jacob Yates has confirmed will be in stock again soon or should i opt for the Titanium which is in production. Given to understand that the SS version being heavier shaves close, will the TI live up to that being a lighter razor.

3. If I were to get The Merica then should I get the SS or The Titanium as many on the forum have used one or both.

4. And if I get the 921, whats the advantage over the other two.

Reactions: Kix
Great question.

For me, titanium is not worth the premium price, though many love it. It's lighter than stainless steel.

I have 3 Yates razors: Winning, Merica, and 921-H. (My Winning and Merica are the old versions from the Wet Shaving Club.) Of these, the 921-H is the best overall performer. I have read that for many, the Merica is very close to the 921-M. I got the H because I wanted a tad more blade feel, and it definitely delivers. The 921-H is the top DE in my den. The Merica is also excellent, though.

I haven't tried the new Winning, but it looks to be a true "winner." It's designed to have the blade angle sort of "locked in" and very easy to use.

Not sure if this is super helpful. For me the Yates DE razors are the best I have tried and all of them would serve you well.

I am a big Yates fan as well. My favorite is the 921M (Jake says the M is for "medium," not mild). For me it is the perfect combination of comfort and efficiency. The handle has no aesthetic value to me, but I very much prefer it over the stubby. The 'Merica handle is perfect for me in weight and length, and it fits the 921 head.

I have the old WSC versions of the 'Merica and Winning. The Winning has a much different face feel (many call it stiction) and in SS it is pretty heavy. But it really delivers a smooth and comfortable shave.

The 'Merica is close to the 921M, but I give the slight edge to the scalloped 921 baseplate. Again, for me, the 921 with 'Merica handle is personal perfection.

I am a big Yates fan as well. My favorite is the 921M (Jake says the M is for "medium," not mild). For me it is the perfect combination of comfort and efficiency. The handle has no aesthetic value to me, but I very much prefer it over the stubby. The 'Merica handle is perfect for me in weight and length, and it fits the 921 head.

I have the old WSC versions of the 'Merica and Winning. The Winning has a much different face feel (many call it stiction) and in SS it is pretty heavy. But it really delivers a smooth and comfortable shave.

The 'Merica is close to the 921M, but I give the slight edge to the scalloped 921 baseplate. Again, for me, the 921 with 'Merica handle is personal perfection.
That’s exactly what I have on order now! 921-M but with the Merica handle with a bead blast!

I have only used the EH plate and I really like it. I'm still not sure if there's a point of trying the H plate, because the EH seems perfect to me and the H might not be as efficient. I find it just as good as my Blackbird, but if I keep using it, it might even surpass the Bird at some point.

My current daily driver is the 921M and I love it. I initially got it with an H plate which was super good for mowing down 4 days of growth but wasn't very comfortable for daily use for me. I go in cycles of 3 consecutive days of shaving, to 4 days off and the M plate handles that just fine. I had the V2 Winning for a bit but just couldn't get used to the locked in shave angle. The fit and finish was excellent, and I liked the handle a touch better than the 921 handle. I used to daily an SS Overlander, but I prefer the 921M. The 921 has the advantage of being able to choose different plates.

Great question.

For me, titanium is not worth the premium price, though many love it. It's lighter than stainless steel.

I have 3 Yates razors: Winning, Merica, and 921-H. (My Winning and Merica are the old versions from the Wet Shaving Club.) Of these, the 921-H is the best overall performer. I have read that for many, the Merica is very close to the 921-M. I got the H because I wanted a tad more blade feel, and it definitely delivers. The 921-H is the top DE in my den. The Merica is also excellent, though.

I haven't tried the new Winning, but it looks to be a true "winner." It's designed to have the blade angle sort of "locked in" and very easy to use.

Not sure if this is super helpful. For me the Yates DE razors are the best I have tried and all of them would serve you well.
I THINK THAT ADVICE IS GOLD MATE. THANKS MUCH.

LEANING TOWARDS THE 921 MORE NOW.

Reactions: ewk
That’s exactly what I have on order now! 921-M but with the Merica handle with a bead blast!
DID YOU GET THE RAZORS SEPARATELY OR THE HEAD AND HANDLE SEPERATELY? I DO PREFER THE LOOK OF THE MERICA HANDLE TO THE ORIGINAL 921.

I have only used the EH plate and I really like it. I'm still not sure if there's a point of trying the H plate, because the EH seems perfect to me and the H might not be as efficient. I find it just as good as my Blackbird, but if I keep using it, it might even surpass the Bird at some point.
WOW. That's saying something. Heard a lot of the efficiency factor regarding the EH. That's great to know. Thanks to all you Lads, I've come to realize how over time each of us gets used to a perfect weight fof razor or balance purposes, the best blade on that particular razor and for each one's individual skin type.

Today was in a hurry, so used a Nacet in my Muhle R 89 Twist. Got a BBS in two passes and was just surprised. There was a point when I wanted to trade it for something more aggressive but I love it so much now that its a keeper. I guess with every shave that angle, the amount of pressure and the craft of using a particular razor just gets better and more enjoyable.

I guess I'm going to land up getting the 921 EH or as a second choice maybe a Merica. I think StewB's advice on the Titanium makes a lot of sense too. Could use the dosh saved to try another Brand or Razor sometime.

My current daily driver is the 921M and I love it. I initially got it with an H plate which was super good for mowing down 4 days of growth but wasn't very comfortable for daily use for me. I go in cycles of 3 consecutive days of shaving, to 4 days off and the M plate handles that just fine. I had the V2 Winning for a bit but just couldn't get used to the locked in shave angle. The fit and finish was excellent, and I liked the handle a touch better than the 921 handle. I used to daily an SS Overlander, but I prefer the 921M. The 921 has the advantage of being able to choose different plates.

Hello,

Do you have the solid base plate or the scallop? I also feel like the h might be a little bit too agressive for me and it is a scallop one. I wonder if I should get a solid bar h or a medium scallop.

Thank you.

WOW. That's saying something. Heard a lot of the efficiency factor regarding the EH. That's great to know. Thanks to all you Lads, I've come to realize how over time each of us gets used to a perfect weight fof razor or balance purposes, the best blade on that particular razor and for each one's individual skin type.

Today was in a hurry, so used a Nacet in my Muhle R 89 Twist. Got a BBS in two passes and was just surprised. There was a point when I wanted to trade it for something more aggressive but I love it so much now that its a keeper. I guess with every shave that angle, the amount of pressure and the craft of using a particular razor just gets better and more enjoyable.

I guess I'm going to land up getting the 921 EH or as a second choice maybe a Merica. I think StewB's advice on the Titanium makes a lot of sense too. Could use the dosh saved to try another Brand or Razor sometime.
I am a Yates man myself. I have several of their razors….all 921-M and H. My favorite is the Ti 921-H. It provides super close and comfortable daily shaves. It’s in my top two with the Ti Blackbird just edging it out.

I have the EH plate in stainless to go with my other stainless plates but I find it uncomfortable and not much more efficient than the H so I have settled on using the H plate mostly with an M plate thrown in from time to time.

I’ve never had a Merica razor so I can’t offer any guidance there.

I am a Yates man myself. I have several of their razors….all 921-M and H. My favorite is the Ti 921-H. It provides super close and comfortable daily shaves. It’s in my top two with the Ti Blackbird just edging it out.

I have the EH plate in stainless to go with my other stainless plates but I find it uncomfortable and not much more efficient than the H so I have settled on using the H plate mostly with an M plate thrown in from time to time.

Hello,

Is the M plate really less agressive than the h one?

Thank you

Hello,

Is the M plate really less agressive than the h one?
I find the M to be very comfortably efficient with minimal blade feel. The H still feels "safely comfortable," but there is a bit more efficiencty with the H; akin to the Blackbird but a touch less blade feel on the H than the Bb. I wouldn't call it "aggression."

The 921 seems to be the winner all the way.

I find the M to be very comfortably efficient with minimal blade feel. The H still feels "safely comfortable," but there is a bit more efficiencty with the H; akin to the Blackbird but a touch less blade feel on the H than the Bb. I wouldn't call it "aggression."

Yes I like a lot the yates 921 h but maybe due to my poor skills I struggle with the atg pass. I wonder if I could get something more confortable with the m plate.

Yes I like a lot the yates 921 h but maybe due to my poor skills I struggle with the atg pass. I wonder if I could get something more confortable with the m plate.
It is worth a try; only way to find out really. I wouldn't blame it on skills -- each individual's skin will respond differently. Certain excellent blades leave my skin with a face full of weepers. Some people get along well with certain razors, others don't. For me, when I tried a borrowed 921M, it felt like coming home and I just had to have one. My perfect shave is M on the face, H on the dome. Others prefer the opposite.

Top Bottom