What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Have you tried stropping your current Wilkie on the racing pigeon’s back? Might make your shaves smoother _and_ convince your avian interloper to fly the coupe.

While a homing pigeon might not be quite as diseased as your typical flying rat, I'll be keeping any grooming and sanitation equipment well out of its way.

Although I did wonder if its desire to gently peck at fingers and toes (which get well washed afterwards), was some kind of communal preening/grooming behaviour. I'm not well versed in their body language and behaviours.

This is how it begins. Remember The Birds?

Ha! There's no such dominant marching from this one. It scuttles up quick then waits by your feet, looking at you like a puppy would, waiting for attention. Even when its not being fed, it just seems to want attention/company. Most bizarre.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Okay, so no risking pathogens for longer blade life isn’t the trade off sought…

lthough I did wonder if its desire to gently peck at fingers and toes (which get well washed afterwards), was some kind of communal preening/grooming behaviour.

You‘ve been accepted as one of its tribe!

I'm not well versed in their body language and behaviours

That’s me and humans. Formerly dogs, but I’m learning

thombrogan

In attempt to rush to my own defense, realized I don’t understand dogs that well, either.

All of the people I know that were formerly dogs are also currently dogs.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 15 on the Wilkie today. A quick three pass, not a full and determined three pass. Concentration and patience being the missing elements. Blade definitely fading now, but still functional. Finished off with a splash of Superdrug Forest Fresh. A great High Street cheapie.

Numpty the pigeon may have scarpered. He fell out with me on Tuesday, because I wouldn't let him in the house, to get out of the rain. After I shut the door on him, he was pecking at the kitchen window, and flapping to get my attention. He was definitely sulking with me on Wednesday, no longer doing the eager puppy round the feet routine, but sat on the wall scowling at me. I didn't even known pigeons could sulk. Wednesday afternoon I didn't see him at all, and haven't seen him today either. Not that I was looking particularly hard. I did hear cooing from a nearby tree though. We'll see if he reappears when the weather dries, he might just have found somewhere more sheltered to roost.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Numpty the pigeon may have scarpered. He fell out with me on Tuesday, because I wouldn't let him in the house, to get out of the rain. After I shut the door on him, he was pecking at the kitchen window, and flapping to get my attention. He was definitely sulking with me on Wednesday, no longer doing the eager puppy round the feet routine, but sat on the wall scowling at me. I didn't even known pigeons could sulk. Wednesday afternoon I didn't see him at all, and haven't seen him today either. Not that I was looking particularly hard. I did hear cooing from a nearby tree though. We'll see if he reappears when the weather dries, he might just have found somewhere more sheltered to roost.

Damn, Al. I didnt even know pigeons had feelings and you managed to hurt them? I guess he had to grow up some time and understand it can be an ugly world lol. Dont repeat that little story on Twitter!

If he comes back, play him some Megadeath lol.

What do you mean I "hurt your feelings?"

I didn't know you had any feelings

What do you mean I "ain't kind?"

I'm just not your kind

thombrogan

That‘s my favorite adult contemporary album from 1986CE. While loving every song, “Good Mourning/Black Friday” is particularly nice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Damn, Al. I didnt even know pigeons had feelings and you managed to hurt them? I guess he had to grow up some time and understand it can be an ugly world lol. Dont repeat that little story on Twitter!

If he comes back, play him some Megadeath lol.

What do you mean I "hurt your feelings?"

I didn't know you had any feelings

What do you mean I "ain't kind?"

I'm just not your kind

I did get a farewell... of sorts. I think. Maybe.

I went out, whenever it was, and he wasn't on his usual perch. There was a cooing from the tree again, but he didn't fly down. I went inside grabbed some seeds, and sprinked some down, and he stayed put, but the cooing got louder. I couldn't see if it was the same pigeon or not, and as I was trying to peer up into the leylandii, or whatever it is, he spread his wings, and flew off to the furthest chimney pot you can see from my back garden (not that far). It shuffled round for a few seconds for one last look, then buggered off northwards.

I'm not certain it was even the same pigeon, but Northwards would be the right direction for home if it was, and if it was the same pigeon, whether it was saying thanks and goodbye, or giving me one last round of pigeon profanities for not letting it in the house when it was chucking down with rain

It didn't decide to circle round and crap on my head though, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I went out, whenever it was, and he wasn't on his usual perch. There was a cooing from the tree again, but he didn't fly down. I went inside grabbed some seeds, and sprinked some down, and he stayed put, but the cooing got louder. I couldn't see if it was the same pigeon or not, and as I was trying to peer up into the leylandii, or whatever it is, he spread his wings, and flew off to the furthest chimney pot you can see from my back garden (not that far). It shuffled round for a few seconds for one last look, then buggered off northwards.

Wow, you really did ruffle his feathers. Your seeds arent even good enough to heal the crushed feelings! Thats some funny **** right there lol.

A spiteful pigeon lol.

giphy.gif

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That‘s my favorite adult contemporary album from 1986CE. While loving every song, “Good Mourning/Black Friday” is particularly nice.

That made me think of this song from a local band.

They're a fantastic bar band with some cool tunes.

Another local bar band, Bobnoxious, plays the Santa Clause Parade every year and has the last 25 years. They play live on a float. That parade usually starts in front of my house.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow, you really did ruffle his feathers. Your seeds arent even good enough to heal the crushed feelings! Thats some funny **** right there lol.

A spiteful pigeon lol.

View attachment 1123995

Yup! Might not have even been shutting him out in the rain, he might have asked his mates what this Numpty name means that I kept calling him 🤣

Oh, and I think I gave him wild rice on that day too, instead of seeds. Ungrateful little **** :lol:

thombrogan

That made me think of this song from a local band.

Very nice. Thanks! And for Bobnoxious, too.

@AimlessWanderer , does “flown off” mean “and this delightful squab curry is merely coincidental…”?

My Wife thinks the pigeon was thanking you via Death Metal serenade.

Last edited:
Pigeon-gate is reminding me of the tag line for Jaws:The Revenge. 'This time it's personal'. I'm telling you, the animal uprising is starting. 'I'm Spartacus! No, I'm Spartacus!'

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Very nice. Thanks! And for Bobnoxious, too.

@AimlessWanderer , does “flown off” mean “and this delightful squab curry is merely coincidental…”?

My Wife thinks the pigeon was thanking you via Death Metal serenade.

No numpties were harmed in the making of this thread... except occasionally me :lol1: There is pigeon breast in the freezer, but vac packed by the butcher that sold them to me.

Pigeon-gate is reminding me of the tag line for Jaws:The Revenge. 'This time it's personal'. I'm telling you, the animal uprising is starting. 'I'm Spartacus! No, I'm Spartacus!'

More like a moody teenager, stomping off in a sulk shouting "I hate you!", then asking if tea is ready, and can they have a lift to their mates house...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 16 on the vintage Wilkie. Good three pass shave, Forest Fresh used to finish off. Blade seemed sharper than the last shave for some reason. Maybe slight differences in lather.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 19. Back to the normal drop off point for the Wilkies. This blade is still usable, and still reasonably comfortable, but not without some cutting resistance. The last one was feeling a little gritty shortly after reaching this point, if I remember correctly. There isn't and harshness on this one yet, but I don't anticipate it setting any records. I could pull the plug on it any shave now.

Three passes today, and near BBS without trying for it, and finished off with a dash of Old Spice Fresh Lime.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Twenty...

Really nice first pass. I'd thought the blade was about spent, but this pass suggested otherwise. The second pass was less certain, and the third pass screamed "Enough, you fool!".

In fairness, I have caught a bit of sun today, so that may have been a factor. Still, this was the point where I should have stopped with the first blade, so I decided to take the hint and ditch the blade. Boots Freshwood to finish.

So based on current shaving methods, with an older beard, which may be different now to 20 years ago, and with the new favourite razor (having used the plastic Wilkie razor exclusively when I was buying these blades off the peg), the longevity of the old blade is pretty much identical to the longevity of the newer blades.

Now I can go back to "just shaving"...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Twenty is plenty!

Yes indeed! As my average across most blades tends to be 10-14, I'll not be grumbling at 20. I do have a couple more vintage blades that the seller threw in as freebies.

IMG_20200717_221111_800_600.jpg

I'll try those another time though, as I just want to go back to carefree (and countfree) shaves for a while.

Top Bottom