What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
ALSO (I forgot to mention) that "blade flexing to let the soapy water in" thing, can't happen in the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor that I was getting the several months blade life with. It's hard clamped, top and bottom, like on an open comb razor life the Fatip Face Chompers or my Merkur 985 and 41C. This is a potentially viable yet ludicrously contrived reason why this thing I made up with the soapy blade lift might be happening :D

This is a potentially viable yet ludicrously contrived reason why this thing I made up with the soapy blade lift might be happening :D
I hate the design of these "monster clamp distance" blade wobblers. :facep:

Of course many people (including you I thought, Al) love them. :crazy:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I hate the design of these "monster clamp distance" blade wobblers. :facep:

Of course many people (including you I thought, Al) love them. :crazy:

I certainly do, Cal :biggrin1: I just might have learned a new trick to get the best results from them for longer :idea:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 28 (Endurance shave #8)
Wickhams Irish Fern sample, shave 18

The Wickhams samples has lasted longer than I expected. The blade didn't. Today's shave WAS more consistent, but consistently dull. There's no bringing this blade back to shaving well without abrasives.

Blade ditched. I'll try another one.

Hang on! Isn't the Gamechanger a similar design and a favourite of yours, Cal?
You jest of course, Al.

Here's my Game Changer and Mühle R41 baseplates. I'm guessing that the rails the R41 cap clamps onto are exactly the same dimensions as your Edwin Jagger DE3D14.

Baseplates_2020-06-12.jpg

The outer edge of those rails is approximately where the Game Changer clamping STARTS, on nicely machined flat slopes. On visual inspection the slim GC clamping areas by the two drain holes is wider than on the R41 rails, because they're slightly rounded (the plating I guess).

Does that make sense?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You jest of course, Al.

Here's my Game Changer and Mühle R41 baseplates. I'm guessing that the rails the R41 cap clamps onto are exactly the same dimensions as your Edwin Jagger DE3D14.

View attachment 1112187

The outer edge of those rails is approximately where the Game Changer clamping STARTS, on nicely machined flat slopes. On visual inspection the slim GC clamping areas by the two drain holes is wider than on the R41 rails, because they're slightly rounded (the plating I guess).

Does that make sense?

It does, thank you. I hadn't seen a Gamechanger stripped down like that before, I don't think.

I wandered into this. H&S N075 SS with Lupo aluminum cap/Halo Ti handle/Kai. The Lupo cap and Kai blade combine to add exposure without compromising damned comfort. I added one shim so that cap and plate clamp more tightly. Spectacular shave.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 1
Wickhams Irish Fern sample, shave 19

Wonderful three pass shave, finished off with Boots Freshwood. This blade seems sharper on the first shave than the last one did.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 2
Wickhams Irish Fern sample, shave 20

Like an instant replay of the first shave with this blade 🤣 Three passes, Boots Freshwood to finish, great result.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 3
Wickhams Irish Fern sample, shave 21

All good so far. Should be enough soap on this sample for one more shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 4
Wickhams Irish Fern sample, shave 22

Fantastic three pass shave to finish off the Wickhams sample. I'd say this soap has had the best performance of all the samples I've tried so far. The scent is a big bonus too, as not only is it pleasantly scented, but it's not intrusive. I can enjoy it when I want, and easily ignore it the rest of the time.

The brush was matting up a little from it though, so I gave it a good lathering with Vosene during the clean up. I'll go back to the Mitchell's and Palmolive for a while, and maybe crack open a new sample in a few weeks.

The brush was matting up a little from it though, so I gave it a good lathering with Vosene during the clean up.

How often do you shampoo your brushes Al?

The Omega boar I'm using at the moment was shampooed before I re-introduced it and it's performing very well, maybe even better then the Semogue, which hasn't been cleaned in ages.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How often do you shampoo your brushes Al?

The Omega boar I'm using at the moment was shampooed before I re-introduced it and it's performing very well, maybe even better then the Semogue, which hasn't been cleaned in ages.

Whenever I feel like it needs it. The Mitchell's can leave them with a lanolin build up, and Wickhams doesn't rinse freely either. Some soaps seem to rinse very freely, and the brush kind of looks after itself. Vosene is a good clarifying shampoo, and doesn't clart it up like some others might. I don't use shampoo on my hair anymore, but keep some around for my shaving brushes.

I don't use shampoo on my hair anymore, but keep some around for my shaving brushes.

Same for me. I've got a bottle of Anti Dandruff shampoo and conditioner in the cupboard under the sink which I use for my brushes once in a while. Does a good job and it'll probably last for years.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Same for me. I've got a bottle of Anti Dandruff shampoo and conditioner in the cupboard under the sink which I use for my brushes once in a while. Does a good job and it'll probably last for years.

Be careful with conditioners, Wes. A lot of them have silicones in (anything on the ingredients list ending with -ones), as they're likely to gum your brush up even more that whatever you're trying to wash out. They're one of the main reasons I knocked commercial shampoos on the head... pardon the pun.

Top Bottom