The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
:laugh: Absolutely!

Typical modern SHAMPOO:
clean and strip the natural oils out

Typical modern CONDITIONER:
refill with synthetic oil

Probably just the job for all those new robots they're going to replace us with. :devil:

How did you get on with that Kent shampoo brush, Cal?

How did you get on with that Kent shampoo brush, Cal?
Dreadful! It clamped onto my hair like a glue primed vice (now another oddity in my PIF box).

The following shampoo I gratefully went back to my trusty Denman D6.
Denman-D6.jpg

What a relief! :cornut:

How was/is yours, Al?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How was/is yours, Al?

Brilliant! But there's a knack to it. Apply to scalp, small circular motion, and just as it starts to lock up (as you describe - which is typically about 5 circles for me), lift off, right out of the hair. Put it back down adjacent to where you were, and repeat. If my neck's bad, doing that on dry hair, followed by a rinse, and just brushing with it while rinsing, does a fair job too. My hair is quite long though, so it might be entirely different for me.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 5
Grated Palmolive & Kent Infinity brush

Nice shave. Not used this soap for a while.
No post shave today

Be careful with conditioners, Wes. A lot of them have silicones in (anything on the ingredients list ending with -ones), as they're likely to gum your brush up even more that whatever you're trying to wash out. They're one of the main reasons I knocked commercial shampoos on the head... pardon the pun.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a check.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 6
Mitchell's Wool Fat & Kent Infinity brush

The Mitchell's was sulking!

First shave with it in over a month, I think, and it was reluctant to load. With a little coaxing it came through, and reminded me why it's my No.1 soap. As much as I liked the Wickhams sample, this blew it away. I was only going to do a quick one pass, but stayed for three. Awesome shave. EdT to finish off.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 7

A somewhat groggy shave, and got the lather all wrong. Brush was far too wet, and I just got a bubbly mess.

Painted bubbly mess on face, collected the rest of the bubbly mess off the soap with the brush, and returned the brush to the stand, bristles down. Left bubbly mess on face while I went to make a cup of tea, and when I got back time had done its magic. Lather on face and brush was near perfect, and just needed a few seconds work. Needed a little extra water by pass two.

Three passes done, and finished with a squirt of EdT. Lovely job.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Eng. Wilk. Shave 7

A somewhat groggy shave, and got the lather all wrong. Brush was far too wet, and I just got a bubbly mess.

Painted bubbly mess on face, collected the rest of the bubbly mess off the soap with the brush, and returned the brush to the stand, bristles down. Left bubbly mess on face while I went to make a cup of tea, and when I got back time had done its magic. Lather on face and brush was near perfect, and just needed a few seconds work. Needed a little extra water by pass two.

Three passes done, and finished with a squirt of EdT. Lovely job.

Why not just load a little more Al?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Why not just load a little more Al?

I was fairly sure it wasn't needed :) The quantities were about right, but I'd added soap to water, rather than water to soap, so it needed a little extra time to incorporate. Making a brew during the shave instead of waiting till after, was all that was needed. Same tasks different sequence.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Eng. Wilk. Shave 8

Mitchells behaved better today. Just two very pleasant passes taken, and used the excess lather to wash my goatee. Who needs fancy beard shampoos? :lol: Finished off with a squirt of cheap (seemingly) everlasting EdT.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 9 on the old Wilkie. I might need to swap it to an open comb razor soon, as the goatee seems to be creeping outwards. A redrawing of the boundaries seems to be needed, as it's a bit of a fuzzy mess at the minute.

IMG_20200628_212847_edit.jpg

Sadly, I was far too lazy to do it today, and just eliminated the stubble from the pic. I also need to decide how far to narrow it down, without breaking into the sparsely populated area of the chin.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 10 on the Wilkie, but this time in the Merkur 41C. I'm still not fully happy with the handle on that razor, but I got a decent shave. I also trimmed up the goatee, but took it a little narrower than I intended to. As is usual with any beard trim, I'll give it a day or two, then see if it needs any fine tuning. I really ought to do it monthly, but I tend to just let it gradually creep outwards over time, then hack great chunks out of it when it starts annoying me. :)

Usual brush and soap. Didn't bother with post shave today. The blade performed well enough in this razor, but it didn't seem to change much from the Jagger. I do know that I wasn't quite on the right angle for this head, but wasn't entirely sure if that was influenced by the hexagonal handle or not. I'll switch back to the Jagger straight away though, as I can't afford to lose even more width on the goatee, and the open combs don't stop when the hit the boundary like the closed combs do.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 11 on the Wilkie today, and despite the three day stubble, it was back in the Jagger. Just two passes taken. Didn't feel the need for a third today. First pass was a little tuggy due to the stubble holding off the comb higher than normal, but the second pass was great. No post shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Quick no frills two pass job for shave 12. Still on the Wilkie, Jagger, Mitchell's and Kent line up.

In other news, I appear to have been adopted by a racing pigeon.

It arrived in my garden yesterday, and was walking around, making no attempt to fly, and I wondered if it was injured, or just tired. I put down a few seeds and some water, and it wolfed those down. Later in the day, it was still there, and was following me around the garden. Very tame, and obviously used to human company. The ring around its ankle shows it's registered in Newcastle, roughly 130 miles North of me.

As I wasn't feeding it, it decided to start getting my attention by gentle pecking at my bare toes, and generally making a nuisance of itself. I put some more seeds down for it, and it wolfed those down too. It did fly briefly onto a wall, but it certainly looked like it was a reall effort for it, possibly a sprain, so I decided not to shoo it on too quickly.

What goes in, must come out, and there was a fair bit of mess this morning. It cooed good morning at me, and I did put more seeds down for it though, in the hope that a good kip and full belly would be enough for it to move on. No such luck. There was no sign of it this evening, but after 20 minutes or so, it reappeared and landed on my toilet waste pipe where it had roosted overnight. No more seeds this time though, and I took both the seed and water tray away while it was looking. It does seem to be flying a little better though, so hopefully it will be on its way tomorrow.

If it's still there tomorrow, I'll be coaxing it to move on. Were it a more intelligent creature, I'd show it the kilo of pigeon breasts in my freezer, and see if it took the hint. :devil: It's obviously someone's pride and joy, and don't want to wish it harm, but I also don't want it taking up residence here. I don't mind it stopping over for a pit stop, but by tomorrow it will have outstayed its welcome.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It arrived in my garden yesterday, and was walking around, making no attempt to fly, and I wondered if it was injured, or just tired. I put down a few seeds and some water, and it wolfed those down. Later in the day, it was still there, and was following me around the garden. Very tame, and obviously used to human company. The ring around its ankle shows it's registered in Newcastle, roughly 130 miles North of me.

As I wasn't feeding it, it decided to start getting my attention by gentle pecking at my bare toes, and generally making a nuisance of itself. I put some more seeds down for it, and it wolfed those down too. It did fly briefly onto a wall, but it certainly looked like it was a reall effort for it, possibly a sprain, so I decided not to shoo it on too quickly.

I had one stay for a week before it flew off. I asked a friend that kept pigeons about it and he said it's just there eating and resting and will carry on soon and thats what it did.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had one stay for a week before it flew off. I asked a friend that kept pigeons about it and he said it's just there eating and resting and will carry on soon and thats what it did.

Yup. My brother did a bit of internet searching, and he found pretty much the same. It said they usually move on after 48 hours, but can stay up to 7-10 days. That's a lot of mess though, particularly when it's all landing next to my back door!

It's a very friendly bird, so I wanted to let it have a couple of days food and rest before turfing it out. I reckon if I hold off on the food and water now, it should go looking for an easier target, such as a garden with a bird table, even if it's not ready for another 100+ miles.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shave 13 on the Wilkie today, and I've no reason to believe this will last any longer than the first one. The shave was good, but not to the mythical status often afforded to these blades. They do feel fantastic in the black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor, but that's not my primary razor anymore. In the Jagger, they're simply good blades. In a head-to-head with their modern German counterparts, I probably prefer the first 10 shaves with these, and the subsequent 10 or so with the German version.

Three passes today, finished off with a squirt of EdT. I very nice shave indeed. The blade seemed to be needing a little more effort than in its earlier shaves, but is not tugging nor rough. Still sharp, but less than its original sharpness, and still very smooth.

My little feathered friend is still around, although it seems to have found a new place to roost, as there's no more mess around. It also comes to visit me when I'm in the garden, but not residing here. I give it a few seeds when I see it, enough to be friendly but not enough for a full feed, so it's having to make the rest up elsewhere. Its still being a very sociable creature despite that. I'm happy this way, as its not dependent on me, nor leaving me the waste products of its diet. It's quite welcome to stay longer on that basis.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Have you tried stropping your current Wilkie on the racing pigeon’s back? Might make your shaves smoother _and_ convince your avian interloper to fly the coupe.

Top Bottom