Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Minimalism or a padded room? (meme).jpg

Splendid! If you do, post a link here so I find it :thumbsup:

Thank you for the support! :thumbup:

Once upon a stubble...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yup! Got to 4:30am and I realised I hadn't put the bin out for the bin men, so I figured I might as well stop up till it's light enough, and not wake the neighbours

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I finally remembered!

For quite a few shaves now (too many), autopilot had me loading the Mitchell's with the Omega boar, and just as I was starting to face lather, my internal voice would say "Oh crap, I've used the boar again. I keep meaning to try the synth"

This Omega boar simply isn't as good as my original one, which disintegrated several months ago, and it's most noticeable now I have returned to Mitchell's. It barely makes lather for two passes, and doesn't always incorporate the soap and water properly. While i've still been having decent shaves, the brush has been annoying me a little.

Yesterday, I finally remembered to try the Omega Hi-Brush that lives in my travel washbag. Massive difference! I did roughly 30 quick laps round the soap to load it (which is roughly what would give me 2.1/2 passes worth with the boar), and by the time I'd finished shaving, there was easily enough lather for another three passes. It wasn't just the quantity that had increased, the quality had too. Today, I did 20 laps, and still had ample for three passes, but with less waste afterwards. Again, great lather, and far superior to what the boar produces.

This isn't the first time I've had to fall back on the synth to make up for the failings of the boar. I had to do the same with face applied Palmolive, and also with creams. It might be time to try one of those Yaqi brushes, or the small Kent Infinity...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yesterday, I finally remembered to try the Omega Hi-Brush that lives in my travel washbag. Massive difference! I did roughly 30 quick laps round the soap to load it (which is roughly what would give me 2.1/2 passes worth with the boar), and by the time I'd finished shaving, there was easily enough lather for another three passes. It wasn't just the quantity that had increased, the quality had too. Today, I did 20 laps, and still had ample for three passes, but with less waste afterwards. Again, great lather, and far superior to what the boar produces.

Your experience Al, mirrors my own.

For $10USD, you can do a lot worse.

Screenshot_2020-03-09 Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Shaving Brush Synthetic Maggard Razors ...png

Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Shaving Brush Synthetic | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-22mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-black-handle/

They should have a low cost shipping option available for you, but you wont see it until you're ready to Check Out and select the shipping options.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Your experience Al, mirrors my own.

For $10USD, you can do a lot worse.

View attachment 1072570

Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Shaving Brush Synthetic | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-22mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-black-handle/

They should have a low cost shipping option available for you, but you wont see it until you're ready to Check Out and select the shipping options.

Ordered! :thumbsup:

I also added the St James sample pack, and a couple of buffalo scale seconds for knife scales. Total postage was under $7

Cheers Mike!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ordered! :thumbsup:

I also added the St James sample pack, and a couple of buffalo scale seconds for knife scales. Total postage was under $7

Cheers Mike!

Good man! I just hope you like it lol.

The low cost international shipping is why all of my orders come from either Maggard or Connaught, plus, I dont have to pay 13% tax!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

The low cost international shipping is why all of my orders come from either Maggard or Connaught, plus, I dont have to pay 13% tax!

It's the first time I've used Maggard, or any overseas shaving store for that matter. As you know, I'm not much of a shaving shopper though. As well as this one, Cal has been in touch and kindly offered me a brush, so I'll have two to try out on my usual products. The boar will be cleaned of soap residue, and will be repurposed as a keyboard duster, or some other kind of non-shaving brush.

It does make me wonder if some of the soap samples that didn't work for me was down to this brush more than the soap itself. Not to worry though, I've already found "my" soaps, and have a decent batch of other samples here to play with, should I need to keep boredom at bay, plus the creams that are coming from Maggard. I wonder if the lather (and this brush) was what was stopping me rediscovering my old rhythm since settling back down with one kit?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Some of the vendors within the US charge me a fortune to ship to me whereas Connaught in England doesn't. That's one reason they get my business if they have what I want. Besides that, I have reason to think they're good people who value their customers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Only 12 laps round the soap with the Omega Hi-Brush today, and just enough lather for three passes. The boar I've been using wouldn't even give me one pass for that light a load, but it is more in keeping with what I was getting from my original boar (Rot In Peace). I should have stopped at two passes today though, that third was a little prickly. The Gillette SharpEdge hasn't settled in to the smooth phase yet.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Maggards parcel has arrived, as has a parcel from our good friend Cal. Neither have been opened yet, as I'm running a mini-quarantine system with incoming mail and deliveries at the moment. (not up for discussion - I don't want this thread locking by the mods). I'll be cracking open the package from Cal on Monday, and from Maggards a day or two later. Both contain brushes to replace the Omega boar that I was getting frustrated with.

In the meantime, I've been sticking to using the Omega Hi-Brush from my travel kit. It's not like I'll be doing much travel anytime soon anyway :) The boar has been evicted from the bathroom. It's no longer a shaving brush, but a cleaning brush that resides with my oils, greases, and other repair/tinkering stuff.

Still very content with just using Mitchell's, and the familiarity of sticking to one soap is most welcome. Obviously, that will be disturbed a little while trying out the new brushes, but shouldn't take long to settle back in again.

Simple two pass shave today. No aftershave, just a squirt of EdT. Still using the cheapo ones I got ages ago.

Top Bottom