Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Whether he likes it or not! :tongue_sm

vol_au_dessus_dun_nid_de_coucou_1975_08_0.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you lot are the norm, then yeah, I'm a raving loon!:lol:

Just checked back, and it's just over a month since I settled back in with one razor, one brush, one soap. Pretty sure sure I've not changed the blade in that time, but I haven't shaved every day. Still not quite feeling fully settled yet. Two years of trying other stuff has messed up my gyro more than I thought.

There's an inbuilt hesitation now, that never used to be there before. I never really noticed it develop, though I fully understand why I did, but now I want it gone. I want the fluidity back. Might take a few more weeks to really find it again.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hooray for aftershave sample atomisers. Having taken some skin off my right hand (a combination of health issues and cooking), I daren't get aftershave on it. Quick squirt of the bottle with the left hand, and follow up left hand rub, saves the day.

Hey Al, just checking in to make sure I get alerts for your thread. I am, of course, starting from the beginning, but now I can keep up to date as I slowly catch up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Welcome aboard, Wes. :)

Odd shave today. The Gillette Platinum blade I've been using for a while, felt like it had shaved it's last yesterday. It had done a good run, certainly more than the last Platinum did. I took the blade out, cleaned off all the mineral, soap and lanolin build up, and flipped the blade.

The first two passes of today's shave were excellent. Didn't feel like a new blade, but one that's lost it's initial harshness, and has settled in ready for a run of great shaves. Extremely comfortable, and had that buttery smoothness that some folks talk about. The third pass felt like shaving with a broken bottle! Really horrible. Same blade, same lather, just a change of direction. Remarkable how different that third pass was from the first two.

Ditched it, and a Gillette SharpEdge has gone in ready for the next shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I felt the same from both the Platinum and GSB.

I certainly find Platinum to be better than GSB. The first Platinum was OK, but not great. That one I've just finished did seem a lot better, although being back on Mitchell's might have made a difference. GSB don't work well for me at all. That's something you and I definitely have in common.

I'm back with Gillette SharpEdge at the moment, and it's both effortless and very comfortable. I finished with a squirt of Wickhams Russian Leather. I wish my mind would remember that I don't like it. It's like a mixture of highly floral granny's bathroom scent and Dr Pepper.

I finished with a squirt of Wickhams Russian Leather. I wish my mind would remember that I don't like it. It's like a mixture of highly floral granny's bathroom scent and Dr Pepper.

If I used aftershaves, that sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'd go for. Probably minus the Dr Pepper, though, lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
After 30 years of DE, it's still easy to make rookie mistakes.

Lather went on fine today, but the shave seemed a little harsh. My vision, balance and co-ordination have been particularly rough for the last couple of days, so I didn't expect the finest handling. I expected better than that though. Angle? Pressure? Didn't seem too far off what they should be. No blood leakage, jut a feeling something wasn't right. As I finished the first pass, I checked the handle tightness .... and it turned almost an extra half turn. Oops!

Just two passes today, and a rare trip round the face for the alum block. No aftershave! I might give tomorrow's shave a miss...

AW!

Just hopping in to say hi here, we cross posts often from another site, and good to see a familiar face as I join here on B&B. Started my wet shaving journey a month ago, still trying to soak up everything I learn here.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
AW!

Just hopping in to say hi here, we cross posts often from another site, and good to see a familiar face as I join here on B&B. Started my wet shaving journey a month ago, still trying to soak up everything I learn here.

Hello you! There's a couple more familiar faces round here too ;) not frequent posters though.

I actually wrote a guide on here for newcomers to DE

The first four posts in that thread are the guide. If you're struggling with anything at any point, let me know :thumbup:

That's a good read! I wished I would have read that before I started a month ago. I will probably start a journal to keep track of my shaves and serves as a reference for any newbie like myself.

Hopefully I will bump into our friends here, and see you in next post!:thumbup:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That's a good read! I wished I would have read that before I started a month ago. I will probably start a journal to keep track of my shaves and serves as a reference for any newbie like myself.

Hopefully I will bump into our friends here, and see you in next post!:thumbup:

Splendid! If you do, post a link here so I find it :thumbsup:

Top Bottom