What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nah, that wasn't the issue with the Fatip. That rigidity argument doesn't carry any weight here at all. I have other DE razors which are just as rigid, but are much more enjoyable to use. However, being milder, they don't let you shave at the wrong angle. The Fatip does, unless of course you try to anchor the cap or comb to your face, but then you're deflecting skin and screwing everything up anyway.

My shavettes let you shave at the wrong angle too, but they're easier to understand the angle you're presenting in a pressureless shave. Especially the Dovo. I'd prefer to use the hollow ground wedge blades on the Rolls Razor or Darwin hollow ground than the Fatip too, which are far more rigid than any DE, and either of my straights. Even more rigid, even more exposure, better clarity and control of angles.

The only thing the Fatip offers me, that my other DE razors don't, is problems. I don't need problems.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The only thing the Fatip offers me, that my other DE razors don't, is problems. I don't need problems.

Wow, that's harsh.

Not saying you're wrong. I like my Fatips, but I'm not you. Apparently a good many razors are being (or have been) manufactured so we can find one we get along with.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Harsh but true, Jim. However, my shaving techniques were developed by using certain products for a couple of decades. I'm only prepared to stray from those techniques so far, and not prepared to write off everything that's given me fantastic shaves for the last 20+ years. Had I tried all the other stuff I've written off in this journal as "not for me" when I was still learning, I might have settled on something different, and developed different techniques and standards.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Finding the things that fit the way you shave isnt easy. Thats one reason I like my Grande so much, it fits me and how I shave. It was natural from the first stoke. The GEM's I had to adapt to but were worth learning.

I can have a great shave from the R41, but its less suitable for me because of the way I shave, how I want to shave and how I've always shaved, quickly, and I just cant with it. Its more frustrating than anything. The same as a Tech. I can shave quickly with a Tech but it feels like I'm not getting anywhere. Thats proven when I rinse and have to start over haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, it's about finding what works (for each individual).

Al, I'd rather blunt and harsh than pussyfooting about in a meaningless and unclear manner. Fatip has plenty of fans; no reason for everyone to like their wares.

Sometimes, and this is to your point I think and Mike's point I know, I think I'm totally nuts pursuing the straight razor. It's the opposite tool. The learning curve is extremely long - about 400 or so shaves into it I should know, but I don't because I have no idea how high or slow the climb is, just that I've not peaked - but is it worth the climb?

I believe I know the answer and, truthfully, what keeps me going is the comfort, but even attempting it in a serious and determined manner requires either desperation or that one has been exposed to and contracted some unknown but virulent virus.

It's tempting to blame straight razor shaving like everything else on Cal @Cal, but he didn't seem to get the SR bug, so it's not possible to fault him. It's also tempting to ascribe it to some old picture show version of the super macho cowboy, razor in hand, but that goes only so far.

I think it's a virus + the comfort + it's so darn fun and interesting and satisfying (on a good day).

I'm all for harsh, but not in razors or edges. I don't really think Fatips deserve much of it either. Mine with the one exception (a Schöne returned and replaced) have been very good razors, not just very good for the price. Plus the price is low, and very low for actual metal (not pot metal).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Al, you have influenced me immensely. Whilst I don't stick to it, I do go through periods now of minimalist shaving. That is 99% down to what you write here and on other threads. However, like Jim, I love to experiment and keep trying new things.
I consider you the most accomplished and knowledgeable mild razor user I have come across. I would really enjoy reading about you experimenting with other mild razors, because I would like to understand how you would use these razors but I totally get that you don't want to.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Al, I'd rather blunt and harsh than pussyfooting about in a meaningless and unclear manner. Fatip has plenty of fans; no reason for everyone to like their wares.

Sometimes, and this is to your point I think and Mike's point I know, I think I'm totally nuts pursuing the straight razor. It's the opposite tool. The learning curve is extremely long - about 400 or so shaves into it I should know, but I don't because I have no idea how high or slow the climb is, just that I've not peaked - but is it worth the climb?

I believe I know the answer and, truthfully, what keeps me going is the comfort, but even attempting it in a serious and determined manner requires either desperation or that one has been exposed to and contracted some unknown but virulent virus.

It's tempting to blame straight razor shaving like everything else on Cal @Cal, but he didn't seem to get the SR bug, so it's not possible to fault him. It's also tempting to ascribe it to some old picture show version of the super macho cowboy, razor in hand, but that goes only so far.

I think it's a virus + the comfort + it's so darn fun and interesting and satisfying (on a good day).

I'm all for harsh, but not in razors or edges. I don't really think Fatips deserve much of it either. Mine with the one exception (a Schöne returned and replaced) have been very good razors, not just very good for the price. Plus the price is low, and very low for actual metal (not pot metal).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think the straight suits you well. You could just shave daily with the injector, but you wouldn't find it rewarding. The straight might not offer certainty in getting great shaves, and your desired comfort from one shave to the next, but when you do, the rewards make it all worthwhile.

Sadly, for me, I find DE shaves too good to get sufficient rewards from the straight, to justify all the additional effort and attention on a regular basis. As an occasional shave, if I'm in the right frame of mind, I do enjoy it.

It's like a ten mile hike in the country, in that respect. A wonderful thing to do... but not too often.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Finding the things that fit the way you shave isnt easy. Thats one reason I like my Grande so much, it fits me and how I shave. It was natural from the first stoke. The GEM's I had to adapt to but were worth learning.

I can have a great shave from the R41, but its less suitable for me because of the way I shave, how I want to shave and how I've always shaved, quickly, and I just cant with it. Its more frustrating than anything. The same as a Tech. I can shave quickly with a Tech but it feels like I'm not getting anywhere. Thats proven when I rinse and have to start over haha.

Totally understand. If I was to try and shave like you, or you were to try and shave like me, it would be like learning everything all over again, complete with all the horrendous shaves we suffer in those first few months.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Al, you have influenced me immensely. Whilst I don't stick to it, I do go through periods now of minimalist shaving. That is 99% down to what you write here and on other threads. However, like Jim, I love to experiment and keep trying new things.
I consider you the most accomplished and knowledgeable mild razor user I have come across. I would really enjoy reading about you experimenting with other mild razors, because I would like to understand how you would use these razors but I totally get that you don't want to.

Thanks Kit, much appreciated. I think my review would mainly be what I have to do to compensate with Razor X in order to get what my usual razors give me. That might not be so insightful, in as much as what I find might not translate to other people's shaves.

Examples would be the Fatip and the Gillette Tech. Both of which are popular razors, but ones I gave away quite quickly. The recipients of both thought they were fantastic, though I found them a chore. I could get the shave I wanted from them if I was attentive enough, but there was more effort and concentration needed, than I want to invest in a simple shave. If I wanted that much focus, I'd probably use straights more often.

I'm thinking particularly of the Razorock Mamba and Gamechanger, and the Rockwell 6C on the milder plates all of which are similar mildness to the Edwin Jagger. I like a more aggressive razor myself. I struggled with the Mamba at first until I tried your hover technique and then found it to give immaculate shaves. I am genuinely curious about how you would assess these three razors because you mastered the old Wilkinson Sword Classic which I never did and because you are expert in mild razor shaving. Forgive me if you already have tested them somewhere - I'll go track it down.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've not tried any of those, Kit.

The Wilkinson Sword Classic was the razor that taught me the hover technique. If my memory is correct, it was a complete fluke. I had shaved as fully as I would have normally done, and considered it complete. Then out of curiosity about the angle, I did a featherlight almost hovering pass with just water on the face, just to be sure I had been using the angle right... and it cut... close. Didn't take too much repeating to realise that barely making contact was shaving closer than all the tugging, pulling, and pressing on that I'd been trying before. Didn't take long to realise thick lather didn't help either. In a short space of time, I went from close comfortable shaves, to being able to get a true BBS if I was prepared to put the extra time and effort in. If I got a particularly stubborn area that didn't want to cooperate, I might chuck in an oscillating path (kind of like J hooking, but more S shaped, and overlapping from different angles - think downhill skiing slalom), and I've even been known to crack the head loose slightly, just to give a smidge more exposure for a moment if one spot is being REALLY stubborn. Not that I'd encourage that kind of behaviour of course :D

The Jagger does the same thing but faster, and with less concentration required. The Tech was somewhere between the two, but I didn't connect with it as much, probably the balance and handle grip. The Wilkinson still needs concentration and overshaving to this day, and might still need a water only finish in areas if I am chasing a perfect shave from it. However, much of the time, I settle for a lower standard of shave anyway, and just do one or two passes, rather than chase perfection.

I doubt the other three you mention would be more mild than the Wilkinson, so they'd be somewhere on a sliding scale of shaving with the Jagger to shaving with the Wilkinson. Pretty much the same techniques, but with varying amounts of time and concentration needed.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In which case, I'd most likely find them too tuggy. If I can't get the blade to cut at skin level, I suffer from shaving bumps. That's both from inflaming the root, and partially cut, partially broken hair shaft leading to ingrown hairs. That's exactly what I get with cartridges. You're making me feel a lot less guilty that I declined :D

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think I just might be one of those Fatip fans. Let me get a few more shaves in with them and I'll let you know.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Finally did today what I've been talking about for ages...

Wasn't happy with the way the puck was cracking at the edge, nor the froth running off the puck and collecting on the bottom.

IMG_20200220_190838_800_800.jpg

Grabbed a knife, and extended that crack to the other side...

IMG_20200220_191307_800_800.jpg

Grated the smaller half

IMG_20200220_193900_800_800.jpg

Pressed the shavings back into the pot, and vac-packed the large half.

IMG_20200220_194200_800_800.jpg

Now, all the froth will sit on top, and get incorporated into the lather, just like it does when I'm using the samples in the ramekin. There's also less soap going through the wet and dry cycle every time, so less chance that it's going to spoil before it's finished. The increased surface area should mean it will load quicker too - not that MWF takes long for me anyway. Four seconds is usually ample. Even less when I shave daily and it softens right up.

As for the residual soap left on the grater, I cleaned it off with the shaving brush, and shaved with it :D

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I wasn't crazy I'd think you were crazy Al. :letterk1:

But it's always nice when a plan comes together. :cornut:

1582233564000.png

Finally did today what I've been talking about for ages...

And making reasonably sure of a future in a padded cell?

Sounds like something Cal, Rave, Mike, and I might do. That's a dangerous place to be, Al, my friend. Gotta watch the company you keep.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I wasn't crazy I'd think you were crazy Al. :letterk1:

But it's always nice when a plan comes together. :cornut:

:D

My last puck of Mitchell's went manky before it was finished. Hopefully, this will fix that. Of all the things I've tried since signing up here, the ramekin (or having a bit of soap moulded into a deep pot), is the only change that's really stuck. Almost everything else has gone back to what I did before.

Top Bottom