What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

Sounds like a good first run. Grab you a bag of wood logs somewhere and see how that works versus charcoal. I like to gauge the doneness on my pork butts by wiggling the bone. If it wants to pull right out I know it's done regardless to the internal temperature.

Yeah ... watching some of the Franklin BBQ stuff on YouTube makes me wonder how that would go, but I don't want to have to completely babysit a fire. I know you have to, to a degree with offsets, but I don't want to be tied to the smoker the whole time.

Alas, clearly I'll have to keep cooking and do some QC work ;)

Yeah ... watching some of the Franklin BBQ stuff on YouTube makes me wonder how that would go, but I don't want to have to completely babysit a fire. I know you have to, to a degree with offsets, but I don't want to be tied to the smoker the whole time.

Alas, clearly I'll have to keep cooking and do some QC work ;)
The beauty of a Big Green Egg. No babysitting!

brucered

System Generated
That meal looked top notch!

What is this marinating contraption?
I'll post a link when I get back, but if you Google "Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs", that's the one. I don't marinate the veggies, but just toss them with sesame oil an hour before grilling.

proxy.php
I did a google search on "vacuum marinator"- looks interesting.
Yes, we bought a vacuum container for our FoodSaver as it has the attachment. It makes for last minute marinates a breeze.

I did a google search on "vacuum marinator"- looks interesting.

Indeed!

I'll post a link when I get back, but if you Google "Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs", that's the one. I don't marinate the veggies, but just toss them with sesame oil an hour before grilling.

Yes, we bought a vacuum container for our FoodSaver as it has the attachment. It makes for last minute marinates a breeze.

I was wondering if that was for a FoodSaver, good to know, thanks!

This is the start of a couple of Boston Butts. They are gonna hit the traeger in the morning. I am anxious to see how this turns out!

$IMG_1242.jpg$IMG_1243.jpg

Smoked turkey bacon cheeseburgers. I used apple wood. mmm delicious. And mushroom caps with chives and olive oil.

I can still do BBQ while watching what I eat. Down 35 pounds in 2 months

proxy.php

Smoked turkey bacon cheeseburgers. I used apple wood. mmm delicious. And mushroom caps with chives and olive oil.

proxy.php

I can still do BBQ while watching what I eat. Down 35 pounds in 2 months

Well done. Congrats on the change in lifestyle. Fighting the same battle myself. It isn't easy but tasty food choices certainly help.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bone-in pork butt, whole chicken stuffed with oranges, onion, garlic and seasoned with my garden fresh rosemary and thyme. Venison sausage.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Looks delicious. I didn't take before photos but this hit the smoke about 3.5 hours ago. 9 pound butt.
proxy.php

Smoker is taking more maintenance than usual because it is so blasted hot out. Keep having to adjust the vents to maintain ideal temp.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That is a well cooked chook Aaron. How long was it on?
I see you stuffed it with oranges, does that impart much flavour? I sometime stuff mine with lemons, it does not impart flavour but keeps it moist while cooking. Then you can squeeze the cooked lemons over the chicken when serving.
Now I'm hungry and the sun is not even up yet.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That is a well cooked chook Aaron. How long was it on?
I see you stuffed it with oranges, does that impart much flavour? I sometime stuff mine with lemons, it does not impart flavour but keeps it moist while cooking. Then you can squeeze the cooked lemons over the chicken when serving.
Now I'm hungry and the sun is not even up yet.

Yeah, the oranges add moisture rather than flavor. I took it off at almost 3 hours. I placed in a hottter part of the smoker. I hope the thyme and rosemary flavor come through. I put them into the cavity as well as the outside.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Good looking bird Aaron. I am 7 hours in on the butt and it is at about 165. I am aiming for 195.

Thanks....and it taste wonderful. Not too smokey, juicy.

My pork butt is sitting at 147 at 5 hours. I'll wrap it soon in foil and finish when the bone pulls out clean. Temp. Is not my concern just that bone pulling out.

Top Bottom