What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

brucered

System Generated
Dad's belated 74th Birthday supper. He requested my chicken skewers and my wife and youngest made a chocolate peanut butter square.

Mmmmm, good.

Marinating chicken:
proxy.php

Cut up veggies:
proxy.php

On the grill:
proxy.php

Off fhe grill:
proxy.php

Plated with Jasmin rice and extra dipping sauce:
proxy.php

Warm square and ice cream for dessert:
proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Like Aaron said...well done there Grasshopper...I mean Bruce. :w00t:

Those look better than mine did awhile back.

brucered

System Generated
Thanks guys.

We always knew my folks liked it, as we have had them over for it before. So it was nice when he requested it as his meal, made me feel food for serving it up in the past.

It's not greasy or heavy, colorful, always a hit and easy to time with rice.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks guys.

We always knew my folks liked it, as we have had them over for it before. So it was nice when he requested it as his meal, made me feel food for serving it up in the past.

It's not greasy or heavy, colorful, always a hit and easy to time with rice.

I talked to dad today on the phone. His birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I told him we would like to take him down to the Gulf Coast for a good fresh seafood dinner. I think he got all teary eyed. :001_smile

brucered

System Generated
Nicely done Aaron. My wife and I both enjoy taking care of our folks with food too.

They take us out for lunch regularly on Sundays, so we like to reciprocate with home cooked meals whenever possible and convenient. That's when the foodsaver comes in handy. We can send them home with a pork butt or fully cooked roast!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nicely done Aaron. My wife and I both enjoy taking care of our folks with food too.

They take us out for lunch regularly on Sundays, so we like to reciprocate with home cooked meals whenever possible and convenient. That's when the foodsaver comes in handy. We can send them home with a pork butt or fully cooked roast!

Do you think food can break down the walls....of whatever? I do. It brings us together. This country needs a huge BBQ cookout from all walks of life.

Nicely done Bruce! Great to be able to cook and share with family and friends, raises cooking to another level!

dave

Getting excited ... doing two butts tomorrow on my "New to Me" NB Black Diamond ... didn't get the seals/gaskets done like I had wanted, but I don't expect that to matter much

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Getting excited ... doing two butts tomorrow on my "New to Me" NB Black Diamond ... didn't get the seals/gaskets done like I had wanted, but I don't expect that to matter much

Your probably right about it not mattering that much. My leaks too but it's nothing that bad. It's actually gotten better in that the smoke has sort-of made a build up of crude where the leaks are.

The weather up here has been crazy ... start of the week it was 90s and humid, and there was a threat of rain every day, then it cooled off but that wasn't until yesterday evening, daughter had soccer and after that I wasn't about to begin. Plus I want to replace the nuts and bolts holding things together before I seal it up. I'll probably get around to all that next weekend :)

My apologies ... because this pic is blurry but it's what I have.

$20160716_164105.jpg

But the smoke went ok, not bad for a first run with my smoker (after a dry run of course).

I learned a lot about my smoker, which is great. I also learned to stick with what I know. I altered my rub a little, to take out some of the sugar I use and I don't like the results. The bark wasn't as good to me as I've had in the past.

That said, it was 11 and three quarters of an hour for two 7.5-8 pound butts. I pulled and wrapped at 195, rested for an hour and then pulled apart. I think I should have gone up to 200 (and in retrospect I had time). The results were good, but not as good as past runs but again, it's my first smoke with the new to me smoker. Some random observations:

- WOW does that fire box get hot and WOW do I need to extend my handles out (and probably convert to metal springs). I've got a small burn on the tip of my index finger.
-The charcoal basket worked great. The briquettes lasted a good six hours I believe, but I had so much ash at the 9.5 hour mark that my fire began to suffer. I went in and removed as much ash as I could safely, but even after that, WOW there was a lot of ash to clean up after. I know the argument is briquettes are uniform so your fire is stable, but all of that ash is making me twitchy and makes me want to go back to Royal Oak.
- The smoker, even though it leaks smoke like crazy, holds 250 relatively well.
- I need to remember to replenish the water pan I used as a buffer between the firebox and the meat.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My apologies ... because this pic is blurry but it's what I have.

View attachment 674187

But the smoke went ok, not bad for a first run with my smoker (after a dry run of course).

I learned a lot about my smoker, which is great. I also learned to stick with what I know. I altered my rub a little, to take out some of the sugar I use and I don't like the results. The bark wasn't as good to me as I've had in the past.

That said, it was 11 and three quarters of an hour for two 7.5-8 pound butts. I pulled and wrapped at 195, rested for an hour and then pulled apart. I think I should have gone up to 200 (and in retrospect I had time). The results were good, but not as good as past runs but again, it's my first smoke with the new to me smoker. Some random observations:

- WOW does that fire box get hot and WOW do I need to extend my handles out (and probably convert to metal springs). I've got a small burn on the tip of my index finger.
-The charcoal basket worked great. The briquettes lasted a good six hours I believe, but I had so much ash at the 9.5 hour mark that my fire began to suffer. I went in and removed as much ash as I could safely, but even after that, WOW there was a lot of ash to clean up after. I know the argument is briquettes are uniform so your fire is stable, but all of that ash is making me twitchy and makes me want to go back to Royal Oak.
- The smoker, even though it leaks smoke like crazy, holds 250 relatively well.
- I need to remember to replenish the water pan I used as a buffer between the firebox and the meat.

Sounds like a good first run. Grab you a bag of wood logs somewhere and see how that works versus charcoal. I like to gauge the doneness on my pork butts by wiggling the bone. If it wants to pull right out I know it's done regardless to the internal temperature.

Top Bottom