What's new

2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver

My daughter left this before leaving for her European trip with her mom.

This was not requested, hinted or whatever, but apparently Goodwill had it for sale at $2.49 a few weeks back. So still in

IMG_1994.jpg

As a side note in 3 years of looking I only found one shaving mug in a thrift store and that was last year. So I guess she won't see another one for a little while

Still in but have been tempted by Timeless razors again...I have the bronze that I have had for almost a decade? (my first high end razor other than the RR mamba so many years ago). But have always been interested in the titanium OC 95 or slim and have been looking at comparisons... But holding on. Just tempting, even if not needed.

Still in. At the beginning of this I had some idle fantasy of soaps dropping like flies, hah. Turns out if you frequently rotate a bunch of soaps it is hard to kill any of them. But this morning I did manage to finally finish a 1 oz sample I got years ago, Rustic Soaps Irish Tweed. I'll take the win.

Still in. One of my self-imposed tasks during this sabbatical is to finish of some soaps and creams. Last night I polished off Stirling Eucalyptus Mint. I found the scent of this soap a bit overpowering. I'm not sure I'll like my sample of Electric Sheep.

View attachment 1865986
Electric Sheep is an acquired taste, no doubt about that.
If you don't mind citronella candle notes then you might like it ok.
I don't shave with it that often but I always find it gives stellar performance and shaves.
That said, it's one of the very few I don't have the matching splash for...I tried a sample and it was really strong.

still in - have been trying to finish off the battalion of samples and recently opened an old box of PIF'd razors I never got around to trying. I gotta say the Micro Touch One makes a darn fine shave ... I have 3 or 4 other low end 'beaters' to try.
Revisiting old stuff from when I started has quelled any temptation. 🍻

Electric Sheep is an acquired taste, no doubt about that.
If you don't mind citronella candle notes then you might like it ok.
I don't shave with it that often but I always find it gives stellar performance and shaves.
That said, it's one of the very few I don't have the matching splash for...I tried a sample and it was really strong.
Glacial Soap followed by Glacial Splash would probably bring tears to my eyes...

Did happen across a few tucks of forgotten Personna Comfort Coated's in the metal sleeves.
Probably will be using these until Shark Week
proxy.php

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Here we are, roughly halfway through this sabbatical and I have another tip for those still in.

Develop a new obsession. Preferably one that doesn’t cost a lot of money and could benefit the entire family. Mine for the past few years has been making French omelettes.
IMG_9904.jpeg

My big thing is avoiding nonstick pans. It took a lot of practice to make a French omelette in a regular pan but now I turn them out like a pro. So many people think that a nonstick pan is a requirement but long before they were invented chefs were making delicious omelettes without potentially toxic teflon.

Today’s omelette was made sans shave. In fact, I might not even shave at all today. It will make my Sunday morning shave so much more special.

FYI: For those inquiring minds who want to know what pan I use, the one in the picture is a Demeyere Atlantis Proline. I also sometimes use a SolidTeknics carbon steel pan.

Oh, almost forgot. Still in.

Here we are, roughly halfway through this sabbatical and I have another tip for those still in.

Develop a new obsession. Preferably one that doesn’t cost a lot of money and could benefit the entire family. Mine for the past few years has been making French omelettes.
View attachment 1866641

My big thing is avoiding nonstick pans. It took a lot of practice to make a French omelette in a regular pan but now I turn them out like a pro. So many people think that a nonstick pan is a requirement but long before they were invented chefs were making delicious omelettes without potentially toxic teflon.

Today’s omelette was made sans shave. In fact, I might not even shave at all today. It will make my Sunday morning shave so much more special.

FYI: For those inquiring minds who want to know what pan I use, the one in the picture is a Demeyere Atlantis Proline. I also sometimes use a SolidTeknics carbon steel pan.

Oh, almost forgot. Still in.
My status remains the same (still not in). Want to say +1 on avoiding non-stick pans. Today I uses a bluskillet (carbon steel) pan to make some bacon and an egg that was collected from one of my chickens the day before. Breakfast was not near as photogenic so I will will refrain from posting but being able to make an omelet like that is a goal of mine but my current egg cooking skills are a bit ham fisted and coarse to make a proper french omelet.

Ruckin

.ps the dark side has cookies and can buy shaving gear any time we want should we be so inclined. :a30:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My status remains the same (still not in). Want to say +1 on avoiding non-stick pans. Today I uses a bluskillet (carbon steel) pan to make some bacon and an egg that was collected from one of my chickens the day before. Breakfast was not near as photogenic so I will will refrain from posting but being able to make an omelet like that is a goal of mine but my current egg cooking skills are a bit ham fisted and coarse to make a proper french omelet.

Ruckin

.ps the dark side has cookies and can buy shaving gear any time we want should we be so inclined. :a30:
Officially I’m not in. I can buy anything I need whenever I want. I’m just playing along for fun and occasionally chiming in with words of encouragement.

Top Bottom