What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

brucered

System Generated
Thanks guys. It turned out quite well, everyone loved it, but it didn't live up to my expectations for some reason. It may have been the cut, it was quite fatty. Or it could have been that I couldn't cut it razor thin, as I had wanted.

I'll probably bring it up a few more degrees next time, more for my folks sake. They like there's a bit more done, but we enjoyed it medium.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I see nothing wrong Bruce, but I understand the chef's mind and your thinking it could have been better. That I respect because we all want that perfect bit of BBQ'ed bite.

...your leftovers may be sent via overnight express to my address. :001_smile

brucered

System Generated
I see nothing wrong Bruce, but I understand the chef's mind and your thinking it could have been better. That I respect because we all want that perfect bit of BBQ'ed bite.

Thanks Aaron.

I wondered what others felt about food they serve. When I nail it, I know it. When I don't, I'm usually hard on myself.

I know it was good as almost everyone ended up making a second sandwich. So I still consider it a victory.

With my detailed notes taking for future cooks, it will give me something to work with. I plan on bringing this 7/10 meal up to a 9/10 or more next time and now what to expect and change.

My wife and youngest were making rhubarb cake from my wife's grandmother's recipe card. I then heard her tell him "grandma doesn't use measurements or details either". I'm changing that and hope they'll be making some of my recipes one day and be able to replicate some of the foods they enjoy as kids now. No computer copy, handwritten notes to keep in the family.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron.

I wondered what others felt about food they serve. When I nail it, I know it. When I don't, I'm usually hard on myself.

I know it was good as almost everyone ended up making a second sandwich. So I still consider it a victory.

With my detailed notes taking for future cooks, it will give me something to work with. I plan on bringing this 7/10 meal up to a 9/10 or more next time and now what to expect and change.

My wife and youngest were making rhubarb cake from my wife's grandmother's recipe card. I then heard her tell him "grandma doesn't use measurements or details either". I'm changing that and hope they'll be making some of my recipes one day and be able to replicate some of the foods they enjoy as kids now. No computer copy, handwritten notes to keep in the family.

I want the family to tell me when it's not so good or average. It's hard to hear (and not what I want to hear) but I take that as a challenge to try and do better. My pizza endeavor was below average so it made me mad and glad. Mad that it sucked, glad that there's more homemade pizza to come in the future....anything from here on should be an improvement...should be.

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
[MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION]. Good points and perspective Aaron. You'll be making cook book worthy pizza pies in no time.

My family tells me when they don't like it, they have no problem with that. :lol:

That's the beauty of kids, no filter.

brucered

System Generated
Pulled pork and Mozza stuffed pork and beef burgers with creamy slaw.

We stuffed the pork/beef seasoned patties with some of the pulled pork from the other night. I wouldn't do it with a freshly done pork butt and it probably looked and sounded like a better idea in my head. My wife didn't mind the pork but said it didn't add much to them. The actual burgers with the creamy Mozza, dill pickle on the bottom, creamy slaw on top and butter toasted buns were incredible. I didn't notice the difference in texture or stringiness of fhe pork like she did.

They look cool and I am quite enjoying these monster type diner sandwiches lately. I'll definitely be stuffing burgers again with that creamy Mozza, but maybe some deli ham or pickles.

Burger base:
proxy.php

Burger hole with cheese:
proxy.php

With Pork:
proxy.php

Topper on:
proxy.php

Seasoned again:
proxy.php

On grill, oozing:
proxy.php

Done:
proxy.php

Butter toasted buns:
proxy.php

Pickle, burger, slaw, ready to eat:
proxy.php

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks great Bruce. I'm gonna have to try that one...heck of a Dagwood sammich.

Last edited by a moderator:

brucered

System Generated
Thanks guys , it was tasty but I think I just made it better for lunch and probably more to everyone's liking.

I had to hollow out a patty, put a fresh piece of Mozza in, some crispy fried onions (the salad topper things or Danish hot dogs now) and some Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce. Crispy crumbled bacon would be good too!

I will do this one again, but fresh on the grill next time. Top that with slaw and I think it would be a perfect full meal on a bun.

proxy.php

$IMG_3139.jpg

Memorial Day Weekend MANDATES.....BBQ!!!!

Slab of St. Louis ribs, dry rubbed Memphis (great TN BBQ town) style. Beans doing the slow cook on the lower rack. Corn on the cob and cornbread muffin-heads with Sourwood honey shall round out the bill....oh, and a growler of Grumpy Old Men Aska Ale.
Life is good......

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Slab of St. Louis ribs, dry rubbed Memphis (great TN BBQ town) style.

How great a bbq town is Memphis? Put it this way- I never heard anyone refer to anything called Dallas bbq or Charlotte bbq. It's Texas bbq or North Carolina bbq. But two cities merit their own title for bbq styles- Kansas City and Memphis.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
How great a bbq town is Memphis? Put it this way- I never heard anyone refer to anything called Dallas bbq or Charlotte bbq. It's Texas bbq or North Carolina bbq. But two cities merit their own title for bbq styles- Kansas City and Memphis.

While I rather like Texas BBQ, I really love Memphis style. There is something magical about the marriage of pig and smoke.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
As I cover in my upcoming book, Sex and Barbecue, there is no subject more likely to ignite WWIII than the discussion of regional bbq preferences.

brucered

System Generated
Simple Hot Dogs tonight

European Weiner, Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce, crispy fried onions and creamy slaw on a butter toasted bun.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

That's only because NO ONE, in those states, outside of Kansas City or Memphis know how to cook BBQ. And it's questionable if those cities are doing it right.

In Texas EVERYONE knows how to do BBQ...and do it right. That's why it's called Texas BBQ...it's done right.

Top Bottom