What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

Update:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (en route too)
-Cg006 (on deck)
-himself62 (in the hole)
-valthun
-danlaw

The Rockwell US Tour will be coming to a close as @danlaw will be the final participant. Congrats to all and thanks for putting up some great reviews for all members to see and read. Will be putting up the 6s for a future PIF once it makes the final turn back home. Again, thanks to all for being true Gentlemen and your patience, it was a long journey for the 6s. Shave on Gents!!

Razor received. Excited to give it a shot, but that will have to wait until tomorrow morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st shave with the Rockwell 6s.
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Soap: Cella
Brush: Omega Boar 11137
Aftershave: Geo F. Trumper's Skin Food (Lime)

Showered, using Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Face Wash, then Kyle's Prep including hot towel for 2.5 minutes. I initially had loaded up the R3 plate, but couldn't actually believe that it would shave my face. The blade gap looked way too narrow. The R4 didn't look significantly different, but most people seem to like that setting so I just went with it. Lather was very slick. Others have mentioned the heft of the Rockwell, but as I used the Parker Variant for awhile I didn't find the weight too heavy. The razor is very sharp looking if that matters.

1st pass WTG was amazing. I never felt the blade. The razor gives great audible feedback, and the angle was easily found and maintained. Not as efficient as I was hoping, but the comfort level was outstanding. I don't know that it missed any areas, but it didn't cut extremely close on this pass. This probably will not be a 2 pass plate for me. Rinsed my face and relathered.

2nd pass XTG was also fantastically smooth. Much closer after this pass. No irritation, no troubles at all. Definitely had a CCS after this pass, I could have called it good here.

3rd pass is XTG in the opposite direction. I felt the blade slightly on this pass. Not certain if this was my face getting some irritation or if my angle was off slightly. Still a comfortable pass, just not quite as comfortable as the previous two. I do a slight bit ATG under my jawline and on my chin as the whiskers there resist cutting and stand out if I don't do a little ATG. I also was caught up in the shave and accidentally went ATG next to my Adam's apple. Normally if I do that I will end up with an area of redness and irritation, and I will immediately know as I get some tugging and pain when I go ATG there. I felt nothing when I did it. It felt like I was doing the XTG pass, which is why I didn't notice until after I finished the stroke. Finished with DFS everywhere, and BBS in spots. Some of the BBS was in XTG only areas which normally doesn't happen for me. I typically would need ATG to get any BBS.

The Skin Food stung a bit like usual when I put it on, but then my face felt fantastic the rest of the day.

Feeling my face now, a bit over 12 hours after the shave, under my jawline and on my chin I am still BBS. My neck was less red than normal (it gets a bit irritated from collared shirts just normally). My neck actually looks the best it has looked since I began shaving. Overall, very impressed with my first shave. I will probably back down a plate tomorrow and use the RPL as my blade again.

Shave 2:

Blade: RPL on shave 2
Soap: Haslinger with lanolin
Aftershave: RazoRock One X and Trumper's Skin Food
Brush: Omega Boar
Plate R3
Prep same as yesterday, using some of the suds from the puck as pre-shave.
1st Pass: WTG. Felt great, perhaps more efficient than the R4 which seemed odd to me. Decent amount of stubble left after this pass.

2nd Pass: XTG. Still feeling great, finished with a CCS after this pass. No irritation whatsoever after this pass.

3rd Pass: XTG opposite direction. Still very comfortable. Finished this pass and rinsed. Noticed a lot of stubble on my neck still. Definitely didn't get as close as the R4 plate, though it was marginally more comfortable. My face and neck felt so fantastic I decided to go for an ATG pass.

4th Pass: ATG. I am prone to ingrowns so I typically don't go ATG. My technique for it isn't great because of the lack of ATG experience. I was shocked by how little I felt this pass. My usual attempts at ATG result in tugging and a bit of pain as the hair is lifted out of the follicle slightly. I only had that experience on the left side of my neck where I have trouble usually. Otherwise, this was the smoothest ATG attempt I've ever had. The angle that the blade is bent to seems perfect to cut my stubble most of the time.

The RR One X burned a bit more than I was expecting, and I had a little redness on my neck in my normal trouble areas. This resolved within an hour and I have a BBS face almost everywhere except around my mouth and upper lip (where I didn't go ATG and won't as I get ingrowns instantly there if ATG is attempted). My neck and face are very comfortable and almost twelve hours after the shave I am still BBS in most places.

This Rockwell is making a strong argument for being the next, and possibly last, razor purchase I make.

Update:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (In hand testing)
-Cg006 (on deck)
-himself62 (in the hole)
-valthun
-danlaw

Get your shave on Gents.......

Quick update on the past three days of shaves:

None of what follows is the fault of the Rockwell. This razor is fantastic, and has given me some incredible shaves. I just made some poor choices, which in any other razor probably would have left me with permanent damage.

Got a few ingrown hairs with the R3 and shaving ATG. I get ingrowns very easily, so this was not surprising at all. My shave on Sunday I decided to increase to the R5 plate, but thought I should also try a sharp blade. I'd heard good things about the Nacet, but never used one prior to that shave. Not my smartest decision. My skin is a bit too sensitive for that. The R5 plate gave me a fairly good 2 pass shave, but the 3rd pass was where I got the irritation. I tried the same RPL on Monday, but still noticed irritation on the third pass. The irritation both Sunday and Monday decreased steadily throughout the day, but I still had some slight irritation before going to bed. Today I went back to the R4 plate and an Astra SP, as I don't think I've ever gotten a bad shave from one. Three pass DFS+ again like my first shave with the Rockwell. Neck was still a bit angry from the previous days, but that should calm down by tomorrow.

I think if I had more than a single day's growth the R5 or R6 would be ok for me to use. But for one day, the R4 seems like it would be my best option. I will see how the next few days go, but I am not certain that this razor shaves me any better than my Parker Variant. I also initially thought it was more comfortable than the Variant, but now I am not as convinced. I will have to revisit the Parker this weekend after I send along the Rockwell.

Quick update on the past three days of shaves:

None of what follows is the fault of the Rockwell. This razor is fantastic, and has given me some incredible shaves. I just made some poor choices, which in any other razor probably would have left me with permanent damage.

Got a few ingrown hairs with the R3 and shaving ATG. I get ingrowns very easily, so this was not surprising at all. My shave on Sunday I decided to increase to the R5 plate, but thought I should also try a sharp blade. I'd heard good things about the Nacet, but never used one prior to that shave. Not my smartest decision. My skin is a bit too sensitive for that. The R5 plate gave me a fairly good 2 pass shave, but the 3rd pass was where I got the irritation. I tried the same RPL on Monday, but still noticed irritation on the third pass. The irritation both Sunday and Monday decreased steadily throughout the day, but I still had some slight irritation before going to bed. Today I went back to the R4 plate and an Astra SP, as I don't think I've ever gotten a bad shave from one. Three pass DFS+ again like my first shave with the Rockwell. Neck was still a bit angry from the previous days, but that should calm down by tomorrow.

I think if I had more than a single day's growth the R5 or R6 would be ok for me to use. But for one day, the R4 seems like it would be my best option. I will see how the next few days go, but I am not certain that this razor shaves me any better than my Parker Variant. I also initially thought it was more comfortable than the Variant, but now I am not as convinced. I will have to revisit the Parker this weekend after I send along the Rockwell.

It’s funny how different we all are. I would consider my beard tough, my face tough, but my neck rather soft. Nacet blades in Rockwell or my Merkur Progress, are very good and smooth blades. I get one patch of irritation on my neck, but that’s as much technique as it is a soft neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Razor has been sent via priority mail to himself62. cg006 requested he be bumped down the list. Should arrive on Monday.

My final shave with the Rockwell was its best, and probably my personal best shave yet. 3 passes, WTG and 2 XTG passes in opposite directions. ATG only under and along jawline and on chin where my skin is apparently impervious to ingrown hairs and most irritation. Used a brand new Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow), haven't used since my second shave ever when it sliced my lip quite well. Plate R4. Used Cella and Stirling Pro Synthetic brush.

1st pass was great. I was a little nervous with the Gillette yellow but I didn't need to be. Fantastically smooth pass, and my face was almost to a SAS or CCS after the pass. 2nd pass also didn't disappoint. Very enjoyable, and probably could have stopped there with a CCS, nearly DFS. 3rd pass is where I've had trouble in the past few shaves, but this was an amazing third pass. Almost no tug with the ATG areas, and ended up with a DFS on my neck and DFS+ to BBS on my entire face. Fantastic send off shave.

I do not know if I will purchase one. I found the R4 to be the best plate for me of the ones offered. I would have preferred a little more efficiency. The R5 was a bit rough for me, but that might have just been poor blade choices. The R4 is a .61 mm blade gap, while the R5 is a .69 mm blade gap. This makes me wonder about a Timeless .68 mm gap, but that will have to wait until the new year.

Thanks to @GlazedBoker for the opportunity to try this razor out. It is greatly appreciated!

Update:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed-shipped)
-himself62 (In transit too)
-valthun (on deck)
-danlaw (in the hole)
-Cg006

Get your shave on Gents.......

I’ve got it. I’ve let my fur coat go for s few days and will shave my neck today. Where does this pupp go after?

Top Bottom