What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (completed)
-Graydog (completed)
-Grundi (completed)
-Cut Throat (completed)
-Newmania (completed)
-Dave in Ky (completed)
-dezmil (completed)
-JimDandy (completed)
-dmshaver (completed)
-Ray Settanta (completed)
-Gorris (completed)
-Odenihy (completed)
-DeathKnell (completed)
-sgarnett (completed)
-Bog hopper (completed)
-Hands Soslo (en route too)
-Clark Finestead (on deck)

Get your shave on Gents...... :shaving:

@GlazedBoker I want to thank you for putting together this pass around and managing it for over a year. I also want to thank everyone who participated and contributed their impressions and experiences. I considered joining and trying the Rockwell. However, reading all the information shared in this thread I believe I found what I was looking for, it just wasn't this razor. I just wanted to let you know that all of you have helped some of us lurkers as well, even though we didn't opt in to participate.

I wanted to say thanks as well! I purchased a Rockwell 6c largely based on the info shared within this pass around. It's been the best decision so far in my relatively brief DE shaving experience.

The offer stands! You might appreciate it more if you wait to winter ;)

The Rockwell is now on its way to C. F.

I will share my thoughts shortly, as time allows!

For starters, thanks Gus for making this happen! Great work,and to all the participants, it's great to see so many people cooperating and following through.

Ok, so, my impressions:
First thing I noticed was the packaging- it has been nicely done. I think it would make this razor a good possibility for a gift. It gives it some Substance which is somewhat lost on other packages I have seen.

The second thing I noticed was, once i was getting ready to shave, was how similar the center of balance was to my present favorite, a Razorock G.C. with titanium handle. It was uncanny. The weight difference was pretty substantial, but the center of gravity was nearly identical. So much so that I had to see if I could quantify it somehow. I used a piece of dental floss (kinda cheesy, I know) to see where they balance an then measured the distance from the end of the handle & head. The overall lengths were less than a millimeter different and the c.g.s were within 2mm or less. The overall weights were further apart, 120gms Rockwell vs 74 gms for the GC, but this had less effect on the feel than I expected. I guess, for me, the balance point has a lot to do with how the razor feels, more so than the overall weight. I think this is why I like my GC with that handle.

So, with that, I really liked the 6s. My first shave was a side-by-side with The aforementioned GC. I had a solid weeks growth, thanks to a week long oceanographic research cruise, and used TOBS Sandalwood. I started with the "6" setting. I was surprised at how mild it felt, despite the relatively large blade gap. It didn't feel much harsher in comparison, but I did find the extra weight added a little more blade pressure. In the end, I may have had a little less buffing than I did with my GC, but I also had just a little more skin irritation from the 6s. Learned a lot about gap and blade presentation with this little experiment.

For the second shave, I dropped down to a 5, and had a little less irritation, but it was so mild in the first place it's hard to tell. I never really went lower than the 5 because I am not really personally interested in that direction.
The overall fit and finish is good. I really like the balance, but I prefer a lighter razor. This, however would be the razor I would give as a gift to someone I th Ugh would appreciate a journey into exploring DE wet shaving. (As opposed to someone who would prefer to just have a razor that "works").
Personally, I will not be changing my daily driver out, but think I will be considering this as a gift for a really good friend.

I realize there has been a lot of input and feedback on this thread, and I have really enjoyed this. I was hoping to add a little unique perspective on the piece. I hope at some level I may have contributed.
Thanks again for letting me participate.
H.S.

Attachments

• IMG_5436.JPG
    IMG_5436.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5437.JPG
    IMG_5437.JPG
    605.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5439.JPG
    IMG_5439.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    569.6 KB · Views: 19
Just got the Rockwell 6S this evening I was excited to see it came so soon. The packaging of the 6S is impressive, I was not so keen on the industrial look non-polished Stainless steel I tend to like shine. The first thing I wanted to do was take it into my shop polished it and paint Rockwell's logo black on all the plates. When I picked the razor up I couldn't believe how heavy it was, this thing is a beast it's the heaviest razor I have ever used!

First shave with the Rockwell 6S:
I had 3 days worth of growth, shaved with Tallow and Steel, Maggards 24mm Synthetic brush and new Astra SP. I started with with plate #3 based on reviews I have read and blade gaps I like that is where I thought I would be. After a couple passes WTG I quickly change to plate #4. Again I was surprised with the weight of this razor its was a little intimidating I settled in and realized I don't think I could cut myself with this razor if I tried. On the second pass XTG with plate #4 I was even applying a little pressure and it still felt great. 3 pass ATG very smooth no irritation at all and I didn't have to go over missed spots like I usually do. I'm surprised to say that was the best shave I have ever had!!

In the picture you can see size comparison I have the Rockwell in between a Parker 76R and a Muhle R41 / with R89 head as well. My wife commented as I was taking the picture she really like the look of the Rockwell it stood out compared to other razors, so the industrial look may grow on me.
20180730_192301.jpg

Because of this thread, and my experience in the pass around, I have traded for a 6S. Once I shaved with it, I knew I had to have it one day.

@GlazedBoker, Gus do you ever use this 6s from the passaround? I'm curious about the finish, if it returned looking just like it did before the tour? I've thought about hosting a razor tour recently.

@GlazedBoker, Gus do you ever use this 6s from the passaround? I'm curious about the finish, if it returned looking just like it did before the tour? I've thought about hosting a razor tour recently.
I have not put in a single shave with it since its return from the pass around. I've been wanting to polish it, at least the top cap and accent the handle. Just haven't gotten around to it. Eventually it will go forward on a pif. The only plate that worked decently for me was the R6. And it still looks pretty much the same...

Top Bottom