What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

M

member 119848

Enjoyed reading your perspective dfoulk!
Being the owner of a Rockwell 6S and a Timeless, I totally agree with David: the Rockwell is built and finished like a tank.
I like to make comparaisons with vehicules: my Rockwell´s nickname is „der Panzer“ and my Timeless „the Mercedes“. ;)
I love the Rockwell though. Not only it´s the best bang for the buck. But it shaves smoothly even on plate #6, and would be my razor of choice to travel with. No-frills. Rugged, almost indestructable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave 2:
Razor: Rockwell w/6 plate
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: M&F L7 3 band
Soap: Tallow & Steel Morocco
Aftershave: Tallow & Steel Morocco

Ok, so today's shave wasn't really all that different from yesterday's. The razor felt very top heavy and the result was a pretty decent shave, though not perfect. I've noticed that the handle doesn't really have as much knurl as I'd like. I'm using the slicker soaps and grip wise it's good, but not great. Certainly much better than something like an Edwin Jagger razor but not nearly as grippy as a Wolfman handle.

The #6 plate was just slightly more aggressive than the #5 plate but the difference was minor to me. Even with the six plate I don't feel that I could possibly cut myself with this razor. I went over some areas on my neck repeatedly and still no irritation. The six plate to me still feels fairly mild. I'm wondering how much milder the lower numbered plates are. I'm not sure I'll get to all of them but I'll likely try the four plate next.

Overall the razor is nice and at the $50 price point that I've found it for it's a steal. I'd much prefer something like this over a Merkur or an Edwin Jagger that most people choose as a starter razor. At a higher price point around $120 I think I'd be choosing something like a Timeless Bronze over it. So, if the Rockwell 6S shaves the same at the $100 mark I'd choose the Timeless for $20 more. I'm assuming that the 6s is a better finished 6c made in the United States instead of China. Someone more knowledgeable can share some insight if I'm off on that. At the $50 point it's really hard to beat.

I do appreciate trying the razor but I did expect it to come on a small flat rate box which would run me about seven bucks to try it out. I'm no stranger to shipping charges as I oversee several passarounds. So it's not that I mind paying the cost to ship something. But I do wonder why we're shipping a $50 razor in a medium flat rate box at a cost of $16.35 to send it. I'm not sure if there's some added insurance as well but the box comes with $50 which should cover it's replacement. If it's ok I'd like to explore some other shipping options that aren't approaching half of the items cost.

Sorry if this seems a bit negative, the razor is certainly an exceptional value and something I'd definitely recommend to someone seeking a lower cost very well built razor.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (in hand testing)
-kxthor (on deck)
-Graydog (in the hole)
-scarver
-Grundi
-Cut Throat

Get your Shave on Gents..... :shaving:

I am newly beardless, after 20+ years. I have been lurking on the forum for a while, and am ready to purchase my first DE. I live in New Zealand, but cant get the 6S locally. I'm tempted to ask where the best place to buy it in the US is and just have it shipped here. Do you recommend it for a first time user as my starting razor, or should I pick up a Merkur 34C locally (about $70) and start out with it?

I just spent the last hour reading through this thread. Very good feedback everyone. I was tempted to buy one when they had the discount going on. It seems most either love it or its just meh.

Thanks for having the pass around GlazedBoker. It was a great read.

I was on the passaround list but then got impatient and bought a 6S before my name came up.

You can put me in the "love it" camp. After some experimentation, I've found that my sweet spot is with plate R3 and either Astra or Polsilver blades. Shaving with it requires a different technique than what I've used with various vintage Gillette razors (Techs and a Slim). With the Gillettes, I've typically ridden the cap, lowering the angle until the blade just engages with my whiskers. With the Rockwell, I've gotten my best results by riding the safety bar and then backing off until I can just feel the cap touch my skin. Doing that, I can get BBS reliably with 3 passes + a little touchup.

I was on the passaround list but then got impatient and bought a 6S before my name came up.

You can put me in the "love it" camp. After some experimentation, I've found that my sweet spot is with plate R3 and either Astra or Polsilver blades. Shaving with it requires a different technique than what I've used with various vintage Gillette razors (Techs and a Slim). With the Gillettes, I've typically ridden the cap, lowering the angle until the blade just engages with my whiskers. With the Rockwell, I've gotten my best results by riding the safety bar and then backing off until I can just feel the cap touch my skin. Doing that, I can get BBS reliably with 3 passes + a little touchup.

As a user of the 6S for a year and a half now, I would agree with your approach with the #3 plate. However, I would suggest that if you move more toward the 4, 5, 6 plates, you might find it best to lean a little more toward riding the cap. JMO, YMMV, etc. Congrats. It's not my favorite razor at this point, but I don't think I will ever get rid of mine and I always recommend it as a great razor at a great price.

And despite anything else, can you say smooth? Its strongest point, IMO.

I sent a message to kxthor asking for his address to send the razor. Will likely send on Tuesday or Wednesday provided I have the address.

I am newly beardless, after 20+ years. I have been lurking on the forum for a while, and am ready to purchase my first DE. I live in New Zealand, but cant get the 6S locally. I'm tempted to ask where the best place to buy it in the US is and just have it shipped here. Do you recommend it for a first time user as my starting razor, or should I pick up a Merkur 34C locally (about $70) and start out with it?

I bought the Rockwell 6c from Rockwell itself, and got 20% off w/free shipping ($40--I live in the USA). I think that this code, VDAY20 --is good for the rest of this month. You could try putting in, and see if you can find out what your shipping cost might be. (If you can't find out in the ordering process, then you could make an inquiry of them.) Minus whatever shipping might cost, the price of the 6s with a 20% discount on the company site would be $80.

Even if shipping turned out to be very expensive, I would think the Rockwell would still be your best choice, since it is so versatile. If you want to lower your cost, consider that the 6c version is made of the same sort of material as the Merkur 34c, and has an excellent finish. (Both companies have great reputations for customer service, but you could inquire of Rockwell if it would cost you anything to make a return in the case of a defect.)

I bought the Rockwell 6c from Rockwell itself, ... I would think the Rockwell would still be your best choice, since it is so versatile.

Thank you for taking the time to write a really helpful reply. I have started obsessing, reading posts, watching youtube videos, and can see so many different ideas but many came back to...you'll not stop at just one razor.

So I bit the bullet and ordered the 34C from a new Zealand company, along with a blade assortment and proraso soap. It arrived today to my delight! I suspect a Rockwell will be in my future, but it seemed a 34C was also a mandatory addition to the hardware collection...so it was my first.

Just finished reading all posts here and its been a pleasure reading reviews and opinions from different people. Just wanted to say thanks to GlazedBoker for giving the opportunity to many people to try this razor. Although I don't live in US I enjoy this forum and have also enjoyed this thread. Thanks Gents, learned some new combos as well. Keep them shaves coming

Hey guys, I shipped the razor a couple days ago (Wednesday). It's set to arrive to the next person on Saturday (tomorrow).

I had spent enough time with it to get an understanding of it, which was my goal, so I was happy with that.

The razor was soaked in Barbicide for ten minutes to sanitize it and I threw some more blades in the box for others to try if they choose to do so.

Thank you for letting me try the razor as I enjoyed the passaround.

Even though I bought the razor and dropped out of the passaround, I figured I'd post my thoughts here. It looks like I'm in the minority who don't like the 6S. I tried multiple blade brands, all 6 plates, deep angle, shallow angle, but nothing worked. I just couldn't get results from the Rockwell that were as good as I get from my other razors, so it's boxed up on the counter waiting to be sent to its next owner.
I'm glad most of you like it; it is a good deal and well made.

Hey folks, I received the razor yesterday late in the evening. I had an event to go to yesterday so pulled the razor out of the box and inspected everything today. Seems to be in perfect condition and all around great. I will shave with the razor this evening/tonight for my first time. Thanks for letting me be apart of this. I will gets my thoughts up as soon as I know more. When am I expected to have the razor to the next person?

Hey folks, I received the razor yesterday late in the evening. I had an event to go to yesterday so pulled the razor out of the box and inspected everything today. Seems to be in perfect condition and all around great. I will shave with the razor this evening/tonight for my first time. Thanks for letting me be apart of this. I will gets my thoughts up as soon as I know more. When am I expected to have the razor to the next person?

Get in as many shaves as you can in a week (5-7 days). Then contact the next participant on the list for shipping info.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (in hand testing)
-Graydog (on deck)
-scarver (in the hole)
-Grundi
-Cut Throat

Get your Shave on Gents..... :shaving:

I spoke with @Graydog and received his mailing address. I shipped the razor off in the same box it arrived in. I added some more blades as well. Thanks for allowing me to enter this pass as it answered some questions I had about safety razors. I will not be posting a review, because unlike many of you I have nothing to compare this razor to. I can post the tracking info. if you need it, just let me know. Thanks again guys and I hope you have many great shaves in time.

Top Bottom