What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

1st shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (first use)
Soap: B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf Color Synthetic
Aftershave: Razorock Emperor

First let me give a little info about my normal rotation. Generally a QShave Future clone and/or a genuine DE89 head with a Maggard MR1 handle.

Razor did seem a bit heavy at first, but I'd recently switched the DE89 to the Maggard MR1 handle and the Rockwell didn't seem too heavy. And I used the adjustable of the 6s like I do the Future clone, WTG first pass was with plate #3, second ATG was with plate #4, and XTG with plate #5.

The GSB felt like it was the blades second use, which for me is a good thing, for me a first use seems almost always seems a little rougher than shave 2 and 3. I was impressed with smoothness of the shave. ATG and XTG were very nice and left me with only one little goof that drew a little bit of blood that stopped after aftershave. I was my goof for trying to touch up around my mouth with plate #5. In the future, I'll not wait until the third pass to clean up around there. In general, the razor felt very forgiving and some stupid moves on my part that would have left a nick with the Future clone didn't bother me a bit.

I did do a lot of touch up on the lower part of my neck, under my adams apple, that left a bit of irritation, but I think that with more practice with this razor will keep me from irritating myself. The irritation sometimes happens with my Future clone if I'm not careful.

I got an extremely smooth save on my first attempt with the Rockwell 6s; I'm impressed.

1st shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (first use)
Soap: B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood
Aftershave: Razorock Emperor

First let me give a little info about my normal rotation. Generally a QShave Future clone and/or a genuine DE89 head with a Maggard MR1 handle.

Razor did seem a bit heavy at first, but I'd recently switched the DE89 to the Maggard MR1 handle and the Rockwell didn't seem too heavy. And I used the adjustable of the 6s like I do the Future clone, WTG first pass was with plate #3, second ATG was with plate #4, and XTG with plate #5.

The GSB felt like it was the blades second use, which for me is a good thing, for me a first use seems almost always seems a little rougher than shave 2 and 3. I was impressed with smoothness of the shave. ATG and XTG were very nice and left me with only one little goof that drew a little bit of blood that stopped after aftershave. I was my goof for trying to touch up around my mouth with plate #5. In the future, I'll not wait until the third pass to clean up around there. In general, the razor felt very forgiving and some stupid moves on my part that would have left a nick with the Future clone didn't bother me a bit.

I did do a lot of touch up on the lower part of my neck, under my adams apple, that left a bit of irritation, but I think that with more practice with this razor will keep me from irritating myself. The irritation sometimes happens with my Future clone if I'm not careful.

I got an extremely smooth save on my first attempt with the Rockwell 6s; I'm impressed.

Excellent result. Though I'm not in the passaround, I took possession of my 6s Jan 19th and have used it daily since. Aside from being utterly smooth, it is highly efficient and the biggest difference has been on my neck. Generally I can count on having the errant micro-nick or teeny red dot left over after a shave (these disappear quickly however), but the Rockwell has eliminated that. Favorite plate is R3 for daily shaving but I'm going to get into R5 next week to see how it performs.

As you say, this is a very forgiving razor.

2nd shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (second use)
Soap: AoS Sandlewood soap
Brush: Yaqi 24MM Sagrada Familia Black/White Synthetic
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Second shave with the Rockwell 6s and the GSB blade felt very smooth. This time I did WTG with plate #4, ATG with #5, and XTG with #6. First shave left a bit of irritation, not much, but enough that plate #6 was a bit much during this second shave. I barely touched #6 to the irritated area. In general, I don’t think I’ll repeat this combo of plates.

I rank the AoS Sandlewood as a solid B soap; a great soap, but not B&M level. I used it to to see how the 6s interacted with a good, but not great soap. Again a great shave, I’m probably going to buy a 6s during the 20% off offer.

Don't want to start sounding like a fan-boy, but it might happen.

Excellent result. Though I'm not in the passaround, I took possession of my 6s Jan 19th and have used it daily since. Aside from being utterly smooth, it is highly efficient and the biggest difference has been on my neck. Generally I can count on having the errant micro-nick or teeny red dot left over after a shave (these disappear quickly however), but the Rockwell has eliminated that. Favorite plate is R3 for daily shaving but I'm going to get into R5 next week to see how it performs.

As you say, this is a very forgiving razor.

Yes, I've been shaving with a DE a bit less than a year, it takes me a while to get technique down with a new razor. With most razors the move I made that caused the teeny bit of blood and the irritation would have probably drawn a good bit of blood.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (in hand testing)
-Dfoulk (on deck)
-kxthor (in the hole)
-Trent in WA
-Graydog
-scarver
-Grundi
-Cut Throat

Get your shave on Gents..... :shaving:

3nd shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: Astra SP (first use)
Soap: B&M Latha Lavender
Brush: M&S 24mm extra dense finest badger in a chubby-like handle
Aftershave: RR Irish Countryside

For the third shave I stayed with one plate, #4. Very good shave again. The Astra SP blade didn't feel very different from the GSB, very nice for a first use. If I purchase a 6s, I think this three pass with #4 plate will probably be my default. The weight of the razor does make the ATG shave feel a bit awkward, but I think the awkwardness would only last a few days.

I've had no issues with this razor so far; I'm generally kinda picky. Probably going to end up buying a 6s before the 20% off sale ends.

Kinda going a bit fan-boy on this thing.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (in hand testing)
-Dfoulk (on deck)
-kxthor (in the hole)
-Graydog
-scarver
-Grundi
-Cut Throat

Get your shave on Gents.... :shaving:

4th shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: Rapira Stainless (first use)
Soap: B&M Reserve Spice
Aftershave: Thayers Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Toner Lavender

Fourth shave proves that the 6s isn't magic, it won't turn a not so great blade in go a really good blade. While the Rapira didn't give a horrible shave, it wasn't as good as a GSB or Astra SP. I started with plate #3 for WTG and ATG. The shave wasn't that close, so I changed out to plate #5 for the XTG pass. The shave didn't end up as smooth as the shave 1-3. I'm glad I used the B&M Reserve because of its very protective lather. I think the lather helped me to avoid irritation.

The 6s gave me a decent save with a blade I got in a sample pack and have never liked. And still don't like.

5 and 6th shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: KAI (both shaves)

Rather than go into a lot of detail, I'll just let you know that the two shaves with the 6s and KAI are the best saves I've had to date. I used plate #4 first and #6 for the second KAI shaves.

Plate #4 gave me an incredibly close shave, BBS even. Plate #6 gave me an quicker, mabye even close shave, but it came close to irritating my skin.

I ordered a 6s today. The 6s makes my other razors feel just adequate.

I'm cleaning and packing the 6s today, plan to get it shipped off. I did add a few blades: GSBs, Nacets, and Rapira of some sort.

5 and 6th shave with the Rockwell 6s.

Blade: KAI (both shaves)

Rather than go into a lot of detail, I'll just let you know that the two shaves with the 6s and KAI are the best saves I've had to date. I used plate #4 first and #6 for the second KAI shaves.

Plate #4 gave me an incredibly close shave, BBS even. Plate #6 gave me an quicker, mabye even close shave, but it came close to irritating my skin.

I ordered a 6s today. The 6s makes my other razors feel just adequate.

I'm cleaning and packing the 6s today, plan to get it shipped off. I did add a few blades: GSBs, Nacets, and Rapira of some sort.

I had the same experience using the Kai in my 6s/R3 setup. Such a smooth, easy, efficient shave. I just took possession of 50 Kai's in the mail moments earlier :)

I had the same experience using the Kai in my 6s/R3 setup. Such a smooth, easy, efficient shave. I just took possession of 50 Kai's in the mail moments earlier :)

Oh, you enabler. I was going to hold off and use some of my other ~250 blades, but now I think I'm going to have to order some KAIs.

Just got the 6s I ordered because of the pass around. Packaging was rather different than the pass around razor.

Nice pleather and chrome.

P2132604.jpg

P2132609.jpg

Ok, I have the razor in my possession. I'll take some pics and post them with later shaves but I did manage to get a shave in this morning with the razor.

So first a bit of background. I own quite a few high end razors and I'm jumping in this passaround not because I suspect I may want one of these razors but more to try it so that I can recommend, or not recommend, it as a lower priced alternative to many of the modern stainless steel razors. Because, let's be honest here not everyone wants to shell out a couple hundred bucks (or more) for a razor.

Do keep in mind that my standards are a bit high so my review will likely be a bit critical as I'm comparing it to some of the best razors the world has to offer, with most costing many times the price of the Rockwell.

Initial impressions are that this razor is a bit crude and clunky. My wife looked at it and asked why they didn't finish it, as most of my other razors are polished in some way or another. I think she though it might be a prototype or something such as this. This one is a bit bland and industrial looking. Good because it likely keeps the cost down but not so good because it looks a bit unfinished, or at least in my opinion it does.

In assembling it the razor feels very top heavy. I'm not opposed to heavy razors as I own several Timeless razors and consider them to be some of the very best razors made. I'm used to handling a heavy razor so no issues there. My issue is with the plates being overly bulky. I like the idea of including many base plate options, especially at this price point, but I'd rather have three options with less bulky plates than six options with all of this weight throwing the razor off a bit. I'd rather it come with three less bulky plates (say 4, 5 and 6) and offer the other three (1, 2 and 3) at an additional nominal cost. Other combinations would work as well but I suspect you get where I'm going with this.

I inserted a Feather blade and chose the number five plate for my first shave. I'd heard somewhere that the first couple plates are very, very mild so I figured I'd start with the five and move to the four or six for the next shave.

Shave one:
Razor: Rockwell w/5 plate
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: M&F Finest 2XL
Soap: Grooming Dept - Credence
Aftershave: Antica Barbieria Colla Sandlewood balm

In shaving with the razor it's very head heavy and a bit clumsy. It felt kinda like a tank plowing through a field. It was however very smooth and comfortable to shave with, even with the more aggressive plate so high marks there. After the first pass a good bit of the stubble was cleared. Not the most efficient razor I've tried but certainly not the least. Overall a good first pass. The second pass was more of the same. The soap I choose was Grooming Dept Credence which is a very slick soap. The razor had no trouble gliding over my face and clearing the stubble during the second pass. Pass three cleared the rest of the stubble leaving just a little on my neck in my trouble spots under my jawline. I did a bit of touch up on my neck without any discomfort and was left with a very good shave. Not perfect but for the first shave with the razor it wasn't bad at all. Overall, quite enjoyable.

I'll give this several more shaves but after the first shave I can say that I don't find this razor as good as my normal razors (Timeless, Paradigm, Wolfman, etc) which are really outstanding. I do however believe that it has a place as an excellent value razor for someone looking to avoid the normal Zamak constructed options. Without considering price I'd definitely choose the other stainless steel options over this razor but when price is considered this razor becomes extremely appealing.

I'll share more thoughts after the next shave.

Top Bottom