What's new

The MMA Thread

Hell of a card last night.

i was lucky enough to catch the prelims (all finishes by the way) at the hooters i was at (they were playing the canelo undercard simultaneously).

Always sad to see the old guard guys like Arlovski lose. The tavares KO was nice, and wow at corey anderson. The dude went in there possessed and disposed of walker fast. I won't write off walker yet, i think he has things to work on.

Woah! at kevin lee, i haven't been much of a fan of his. But man, how can you not like that KO. Him training in montreal with firas and GSP has worked for him. Snapping his two loss streak

black beast fight was underwhelming, but i was impressed at his ground game. Specially since his opponent is a world class sambo practitioner.

What a clinic wonderboy put on luque. Good to see him snap his 2 fight losing streak.

Gastelum vs till was very lackluster. I expected way more from these two. I scored it a draw.

Main event was damn good.

I picked nate to win, I thought he was gonna use his range and box up jorge from the outside. And was sort of upset that the doctor stopped it. But some guys are too tough for their own good. And the stoppage wasn't bad. Could nate have taken over in the 4th and 5th rounds? maybe, but masvidals strikes were a lot more damaging than i thought. I really thought that soccer kick from Jorge was going to put nate out (like the thompson fight). I can't believe the chin on Nate, he was able to get some shots in at times, and was controlling jorge in the clinch.

I felt that Masvidal was winning, but it wasn't a total domination in my opinion. Sometimes cuts make the other fighter look like he is making more damage than what it really is. I enjoyed the fight though.

I definitely did not expect Canelo to knock out Kovalev, especially in a manner as devastating as what took place.

My thoughts on Masvidal Diaz are that Masvidal was dominating the fight. He was doing a lot of damage, and in the clinch, I think he was actually controlling better than Diaz. Anytime Diaz would get him against the fence he would reverse it and have Diaz against the fence. I think that Diaz would have had to submit or KO Masvidal in the 4th or 5th to win because a decision was going to Masvidal for sure. I think the stoppage was warranted and just prevented Diaz from taking unnecessary damage.

Supposedly Mariusz Pudzianowski, World's Strongest Man competitor is set to make his MMA debut soon. He is said to have some boxing and karate in his background along with unbelieveable strength and conditioning. That should be fun to watch.
But look at brock lesner he has a good stand up and was a wrestling champ as soon as the other fighters picked him he was over and done I think this will be the same thing. MMA is about technical ability not strength or size he might have a plan but everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face

Pudzianowski has been fighting in MMA matches in (mostly in Poland) since 2009. Wikipedia shows him with a 13-7 record. Watching highlights of some of his fights on YouTube ... let's just say he is unpolished (no pun intended) and fighting not-ready-for-UFC type guys.

So. Cowboy v. Conor early next year. Two fighters desperately in need of a win, one of whom is likely getting near the end of his career, regardless of the outcome. I think if Cerrone can avoid getting tagged by the left, he is going to maul Conor, particularly as this is taking place at 170.

It's an intriguing fight. Cerrone has a complete game, including submissions, and good kickboxing. Will McGregor stay out of trouble long enough for the fight to happen?

I agree with both of you gentlemen. And further adding that conor will most likely lose power at 170 since he's fighting heavier men with better chins.

However, I'm sure y'all have noticed cerrones decline in his fighting ability. If I was a betting man, I'd say conors team chose cerrone because he is a bit shop worn. Remember when cerrone was ready and available to fight conor as a replacement right before conors first Diaz fight? They chose a guy who was drinking and smoking on vacation. Instead of a guy who had won his fight in the first round and was already prepared.

They sure didn't want cowboy then. But fast forward 4yrs with cowboy on a losing streak and NOW they want him.

No surprise who I'm rooting for here. I can't stand conor and I hope cowboys thoroughly destroys him.

There is no question they are both desperate for a win, because a victory is now probably the only way for either to secure a "big" payday. Conor, by proving he can still draw eyeballs, and Cerrone proving he is still a relevant force in the UFC. I expect this is going to go one of two ways . . . either a quick and snappy finish, or a long and drawn out, bloody war.

So much for Cowboy making solid bank off this conor fight.

I don’t know about this payday talk,” Cerrone said in an interview with MMAJunkie this past May, “Everyone thinks you fight Conor, you get paid. We’re under contract, man. Now with the ESPN thing, the pay-per-view buys are already done…so it’s a big misconception. Conor might get paid. ‘Cowboy’ might get a little bump, but it’s not a $10 million night for me by any means.”

Also, i read a thread on an mma site that khabib may have failed a USADA test, his manager mentioned not taking calls from usada.

Not sure if this is real though.

Really solid card tonight, UFC 245.

Usman/Colby - cant even decide here. It appears both guys have great cardio. I give colby a very slight edge in cardio and the wrestling. Usman definitely has the standup advantage in skill and power, i think usman also has a 100% takedown defense. This will be interesting.

Holloway/Volkanovski - I'm really interested in seeing this one because volk is short with so much power in his hands, and max is a volume striker that is a tall guy who knows how to use his reach. I think max wins this by UD, unless his chin is completely shot from the poirier war.

Nunes/De Randamie - nunes already beat her years ago. But fighters improve. Im still salty about de randamie getting extra shots after the bell on holm. Still cant believe no points were taken. And then she vacated the title so she wouldnt fight cyborg. That was blatant ducking imo. Amanda should take this by tko.

Moraes/Aldo - Man... Aldo looked like a medical patient that hadnt eaten in weeks at the weigh in. He already had hard weight cuts at 145. Not sure why he went down to 135. I hope he wins. But most times when guys go down in weight, the chin is weaker. Moraes has power, and is fast. Still hope aldo finds a way to win here.

Peter Yan/Urijah Faber. I may be wrong here, but im picking faber to win. The guy is 40, was retired and i hope he keeps on winning. He may get a title shot against cejudo if he wins here.

Nunes proves she is the Queen of women's MMA. Best ever? I think a case can be made.

Kamaru Usman is NOT a man you want to mouth off to. He will shut you up in very painful ways. Credit where it is due, if Covington really does have a broken jaw, then he has a pair of big brass ones to hang in as long as he did. That said, after the second, it was clear the way the fight was going. Usman kept getting better and Covington just could not keep up.

Nunes proves she is the Queen of women's MMA. Best ever? I think a case can be made.

Kamaru Usman is NOT a man you want to mouth off to. He will shut you up in very painful ways. Credit where it is due, if Covington really does have a broken jaw, then he has a pair of big brass ones to hang in as long as he did. That said, after the second, it was clear the way the fight was going. Usman kept getting better and Covington just could not keep up.

Nunes is so dominant.

I wasn't happy to see Max lose. I can't believe any judge had Max losing every round... Either way, it was a perfectly executed gameplan by Volk and a well-deserved win.

The night was redeemed with Usman punishing Covington. I have respect for Covington's chin but that's about all I respect of the guy. A good show of heart. Sad he chose to say so many ignorant and disrespectful things. I think he'd have a lot of respect from the MMA community as a whole for the show of heart, was it not for his brash personality.

It's the way MMA is going these days. It's not about climbing a ranking ladder any more. Now it is whether or not you can market yourself into a bevy of PPV buys. Covington exploited a political s***show for his own benefit. For that alone, I think he deserves some respect. How much of it aligns with his actual character is anyone's guess, but it allowed him to move from being a mid-level guy with a granite chin, into a top-tier draw making some decent money for himself and his family. Kudos for pulling that off.

Are you gentlemen even excited about cowboy vs conor? I'm not.

The rest of the card is decent. But they're definitely depending on conor to sell it.

I've been a longtime disliker of conor, so obviously I'm hoping cowboy beats the crap outta him, specially because dana has been saying that conor will be getting a shot at the 155lb title if he wins (this fight is at 170...) and apparently he will supposedly be a stand in should tony or khabib get injured. Which makes no sense at all, since he hasnt won a fight at 155 since the alvarez fight.

I really hate that the sport is becoming this money fights bs... You have justin gaethje, who destroyed cowboy in less than one round. Yet, he's being passed up for a title shot because he doesnt have the ppv draw.

Why didnt conor fight him? I think the ufc has always protected conor from wrestlers, sure the best wrestler (besides khabid) he ever faced a was a 1.5week notice mendes. And he showed up heavy with no cardio. And mendes still dominated conor until he gassed. I sure hope this backfires like the 1st nate fight.

Top Bottom