What's new

The MMA Thread

I wonder what the ufc is gonna do for the khabib/Ferguson fight. The nba already suspended the rest of the season due to the virus.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think it would still draw a decent PPV audience even without an actual audience in attendance. Might even be bigger on PPV. It’s kinda got me intrigued just to see it without anyone there watching.

Legion

Staff member
I think it would still draw a decent PPV audience even without an actual audience in attendance. Might even be bigger on PPV. It’s kinda got me intrigued just to see it without anyone there watching.
This is probably true. The gate, these days, has got to be a small percentage of the earnings.
Hold it on some billionaires yacht, you could probably make more money.

This is probably true. The gate, these days, has got to be a small percentage of the earnings.
Hold it on some billionaires yacht, you could probably make more money.

Well, if it doesn't happen. This fight is truly cursed. Considering this is the 5th time they try to make Khabib vs Ferguson happen.

Really frustrated by Kevin Lee. I'm a fan but he missed weight, then in the fight, clearly tapped and tried to keep going. Pretty disappointed.

Never liked the guy. So I'm glad he lost.

Never been a fan of fighters that use their mouth more than their skills. And he doesn't want to accept his own faults. Or work on them.
His biggest issue is cardio, yet he doesn't fix it.
He talks so much crap about the divisions top guys (loses to them), makes excuses, etc. He really thought he won the second Iaquinta fight, that's ridiculous.

The guy has so much potential, but he'll never be a champ with that mentality.

Looks like the next three cards are postponed. Khabib vs Ferguson (ufc 249) hasn't yet, but the card a week before that one is.

It's not looking good though

Dana is going to hold onto UFC 249 like grim death. They might cancel it . . . but it will be at the absolute LAST minute, if they do. Hell, I think Dana'd run the show in front of an empty arena before he'd cancel.

Dana is going to hold onto UFC 249 like grim death. They might cancel it . . . but it will be at the absolute LAST minute, if they do. Hell, I think Dana'd run the show in front of an empty arena before he'd cancel.
At this point it's whatever. If it happens then great! If it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised. I expect this event to be cancelled anyway.

It's really crazy that these two guys can't seem to fight each other.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hell, I think Dana'd run the show in front of an empty arena before he'd cancel.

That might actually work with a PPV. It would be a weird experience though, with no crowd cheering ... but Khabib will have nothing to do after the match.

1584650753288.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I watched an interview last week where he was adamant that Khabib VS Ferg is going to happen. He said it won’t be in the US but they would find a country to have the fight. He said both fighters are willing to go anywhere and do anything. He sounded as if he was willing to host the fight in the middle of the desert with just him, 3 judges, a ref and the fighters.

Of course, that was last week so....

I can't figure out how to embed twitter posts, but i'll post the text

Per Twitter:

@marc_raimondi
California Gov. Gavin Newsom has issued a statewide stay-at-home order, which begins tonight. People will only be allowed to leave their homes for “essential activities,” like going to buy food and going to the doctor.

this is the second one from the same guy:

It’s worth noting that both Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson are currently in California and could be affected by this stay-at-home order. Both expect to still fight at UFC 249 on April 18 in a location yet to be determined.

Wow, this guy never learns...

According to arresting officer Brian Johnson, gunshots were heard after 1 a.m. on Thursday in Albuquerque, and officers responded to the scene. They found Jones in his vehicle, where Jones claimed he was unaware of shots fired. Upon questioning, Jones admitted he had been driving, while officers took note of his potential intoxication. He was given a sobriety test, which led to a Breathalyzer where he blew over two times above the legal limit.

When searching his vehicle, the police found a handgun under the driver’s seat, as well as a partially-empty bottle of Recuerdo -- the tequila brand launched by fellow UFC fighter Jorge Masvidal -- behind the passenger seat. Jones was subsequently charged with aggravated DWI, the negligent use of a firearm, possession of an open container at that time. When checking his information, the police also discovered he was driving an uninsured vehicle, or at least one that did not have its papers in the confines of the vehicle.

This is far from Jones’ first brush with the law throughout his career. Most recently, Jones was charged with battery from an incident in a strip club on July 2019. He has also been involved with multiple vehicle-related offenses, including drag racing in 2016 and a hit-and-run of a pregnant woman in 2015. In 2012, he crashed his Bentley into a telephone pole and was charged with a DWI in New York.

Inside the Octagon, Jones last competed at UFC 247, where he won a contentious decision over Dominick Reyes. In victory, he set or extended a litany of records in the UFC’s light heavyweight division, including most wins and championship triumphs. Since his no-contest against Daniel Cormier in 2017 that was overturned due to a failed drug test, Jones returned in December 2018 and has won each of his four appearances. Jones currently does not have his next fight booked.

Top Bottom