What's new

A Tribute to Above the Tie

If you have been paying attention, you know that one of the premium razor makers, Above the Tie, is leaving the business. They have been a longtime supporter of this forum and have produced some well-loved products. Here is a thumbnail history of the company:

Stan started the company about twelve years ago. He started it so he could have a site to sell the vintage razors he had purchased and restored. Son-in-Law, Matt built the website and got even more involved. Stan then decided he wanted to make his own stainless razors, so he found a local machine shop and started designing razors. Stan eventually retired and Matt bought him out. Since then, Matt and Mariah (Stan's daughter), have been running things. Matt designed the Windsor Pro line and the X1. He also kept the website running and did all of the shipping and emails, until a few years ago, when Mariah started to get more involved. She started in doing all the social media posts and took over the vintage razors and brought them back. They hired Manda in 2021 and with her help Mariah took over the day to day operations while Matt went back to programing full time. Sadly, now they are closing the business.

Originally I was thinking this would be a SOTD thread and run for just a week. Maybe we can keep it going indefinitely to discuss these fine razors and post our shaves.

Let's wish Mariah, Stan, and Matt success in their future endeavors.

I have an ATT G1, which takes Gem blades. The design is innovative and quite unique. In order to center the post on the base plate a threaded hook is used. This makes it a bit fiddly to load, but I think it is cool. It is a very well made tool, as you can see.
20220129_090533.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you, @Whiterook for starting this page.

I’m too new here to have conversed with Stan, but I first “met” Mariah when I started discussing the X1 with several members here, including @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Old Hippie. She and I talked about it via email and Matt added to the conversation. I did buy an X1 and it joined my Top 6 razors with gusto.

I’ll miss Mariah and Matt. Mariah has been so kind to sort out all the mistakes I’ve made ordering from my phone. Add to that the limitations because I can only order one thing at a time while we are here in Bali, so Mariah has had to combine orders, refund the extra shipping charges accumulated and all this when they were all working around the clock to get those sale orders out the door.

She couldn’t have been more pleasant about it. I’m sure I would have grumbled every time I saw an order for Phoenixkh. Here comes another one.

When we get back home from this 7 week trip, I’ll have two more ATT razors and 2 more leather travel cases…. Oh, and one aluminum razor stand since the SS stands were sold out. I feel grateful to own great products they designed but like every one I’ve seen post about them, I’m sad to see them close up shop.

I, too, wish them well in any new ventures upon which they embark and hope for wonderful family times as their children grow up.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I believe an ATT razor was my first higher-end purchase. That would have been a combo of the SE1/SE2. Ultimately I traded the SE1 for an S2, which was a great deal. My three favourite ATT razors are the G1, S2 and X1. I will be wistful that a G2 and an X2 will never come to pass, but grateful for the ones I have.

O.H.

If you have been paying attention, you know that one of the premium razor makers, Above the Tie, is leaving the business. They have been a longtime supporter of this forum and have produced some well-loved products. Here is a thumbnail history of the company:

Stan started the company about twelve years ago. He started it so he could have a site to sell the vintage razors he had purchased and restored. Son-in-Law, Matt built the website and got even more involved. Stan then decided he wanted to make his own stainless razors, so he found a local machine shop and started designing razors. Stan eventually retired and Matt bought him out. Since then, Matt and Mariah (Stan's daughter), have been running things. Matt designed the Windsor Pro line and the X1. He also kept the website running and did all of the shipping and emails, until a few years ago, when Mariah started to get more involved. She started in doing all the social media posts and took over the vintage razors and brought them back. They hired Manda in 2021 and with her help Mariah took over the day to day operations while Matt went back to programing full time. Sadly, now they are closing the business.

Originally I was thinking this would be a SOTD thread and run for just a week. Maybe we can keep it going indefinitely to discuss these fine razors and post our shaves.

Yes indeed! ATT is a quality operation that will be missed!!

They will be missed for sure.
I'm in the UK and ATT razors are hard to come by. I can order online but international shipping UK customs charges make any orders from the US very expensive.

That said I've quite the collection of ATT razors.

Full set of Stainless Open Comb plates and Atlas handle
Full set of Stainless Safety Bar plates and Kronos handle
ATT Stainless M2 Open Comb razor on Atlas Handle
S1 Safety Bar slant on Atlas handle
S2 Open Comb slant on Alpha Shaving handle
Aluminium Windsor head on Bamboo handle

I'm currently bidding on an SE1 and an X1. I'm determined to not let these get away from me so hopefully they'll be incoming soon.

Farewell to Stan and everybody else but I'm glad to own your products and will continue to cherish them for many years to come

Wonderful idea!

Incredible products and incredible service! Great people that will be missed!
I stupidly got rid of my ATT Windsor & X1 last year. As always, we're always looking for something
better and I used those sales to fund other razors to try. It was a big mistake!
When I heard they were closing, I jumped at the chance to recuperate and I did it in a big way.
5 separate orders that netted me 2 Windsor SSRH's, 2 X-1's (one unfortunately came defective), 5 handles, and various additional aluminum baseplates for my aluminum Windsor ATT that I still had. I'm happy that I got all
of this but sad that they'll be gone. And using these razors every day, has led me to realize that I already had the best of the best. They're special!
LRod

Incredible products and incredible service! Great people that will be missed!
I stupidly got rid of my ATT Windsor & X1 last year. As always, we're always looking for something
better and I used those sales to fund other razors to try. It was a big mistake!
When I heard they were closing, I jumped at the chance to recuperate and I did it in a big way.
5 separate orders that netted me 2 Windsor SSRH's, 2 X-1's (one unfortunately came defective), 5 handles, and various additional aluminum baseplates for my aluminum Windsor ATT that I still had. I'm happy that I got all
of this but sad that they'll be gone. And using these razors every day, has led me to realize that I already had the best of the best. They're special!
LRod
I ended up getting a second Windsor SSRH and Kronos handle to go with my other new SSRH/SSMR that I had ordered a week or so before. Already have an X1 that is a delight to use. Glad I have these now, but sure hate to see ATT leaving the shaving scene. Great company with dynamite customer service.

Top Bottom