What's new

A Tribute to Above the Tie

IMG_1754.jpeg

My Above the Tie silver tip arrived today. It’s next up for use later today. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes
From where they ship out of it looks like they were based out of Kingsport, Tennessee. Which oddly enough is just south of where my parents grew up
And they’re out of Kingsport, Tennessee

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20230530_152246~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Mixed Metal CH1 (Windsor Stainless Cap, CH1 Copper Base, TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Chiseled Face Sherlock
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Musk

Superb razor! :cool:

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12262316

I like the Windsor line of stainless razors, but took a stab at their aluminum Windsor with ALMR and ALRH plates. Just received the razor and started with the MR plate.

The ALMR shaves closer than the SSMR by a good bit. I was very surprised and wasn’t expecting to notice much difference. Pleasant surprise for sure.

Tomorrow I will try the ALRH plate. The SSRH is one of my all time favorites so curious if the ALRH acts like the ALMR and will be more efficient than the stainless counter part. Excited to find out.

Also like the red and blue color baseplates with the black handle and cap.

I like the Windsor line of stainless razors, but took a stab at their aluminum Windsor with ALMR and ALRH plates. Just received the razor and started with the MR plate.

The ALMR shaves closer than the SSMR by a good bit. I was very surprised and wasn’t expecting to notice much difference. Pleasant surprise for sure.

Tomorrow I will try the ALRH plate. The SSRH is one of my all time favorites so curious if the ALRH acts like the ALMR and will be more efficient than the stainless counter part. Excited to find out.

Also like the red and blue color baseplates with the black handle and cap.
I really like all their aluminum plates. And yes it looks very cool!
I used to use them with a stainless bamboo handle and finally got the aluminum calypso handle during the sale.
And also added a couple of more plates! It feels very balanced with the aluminum handle and of course much lighter.
An excellent travel razor!
The ALRH is as you know is the equivalent to the SSRH plate. But one thing you'll find is more blade feel in the
aluminum version if you are using the aluminum cap. It's 2mm blade exposure vs. 1mm with the stainless Windsor cap.
I love both!

I really like all their aluminum plates. And yes it looks very cool!
I used to use them with a stainless bamboo handle and finally got the aluminum calypso handle during the sale.
And also added a couple of more plates! It feels very balanced with the aluminum handle and of course much lighter.
An excellent travel razor!
The ALRH is as you know is the equivalent to the SSRH plate. But one thing you'll find is more blade feel in the
aluminum version if you are using the aluminum cap. It's 2mm blade exposure vs. 1mm with the stainless Windsor cap.
I love both!
Yes, I noticed the aluminum cap exposes more of the blade compared to the stainless cap after a quick look. I guess that’s why the ALMR plate performed a bit better than the SSMR.

I do like the overall feel of the all aluminum set up. I’ve come to enjoy lighter weight since using Ti razors for awhile now. Going to give the ALRH a go this morning.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just received my latest order from ATT and it included the S2 open comb base (For a closeout price of $10, I couldn't fight off the urge not to get one)... I noticed the teeth are very sharp to the touch. Has anyone else used one and how does it feel on your face in actual use? I am thinking about hitting the edges of the teeth with something to round them a bit or something.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I believe an ATT razor was my first higher-end purchase. That would have been a combo of the SE1/SE2. Ultimately I traded the SE1 for an S2, which was a great deal. My three favourite ATT razors are the G1, S2 and X1. I will be wistful that a G2 and an X2 will never come to pass, but grateful for the ones I have.

O.H.
@Old Hippie , sorry for the belated question. I just received an S2 base plate. It was on closeout for $10 and I couldn't resist. The first thing I noticed, however, was how sharp the edges of the teeth are. Was your this way and if so, did you soften them a bit? I'm pretty sure mine would leave tracks in my skin if I used it in its current condition...

Any other people here who own the S2, please feel free to share observations and/or suggestions.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The first thing I noticed, however, was how sharp the edges of the teeth are. Was your this way and if so, did you soften them a bit? I'm pretty sure mine would leave tracks in my skin if I used it in its current condition...

Mine's from when they still dated their production. It's from 2014, so practically vintage. :)

The edges between the teeth are square, while the ends of the teeth are rounded. Not to say it's the same with yours, but I've never had problems with mine. I tend to use a very light touch with most of my razors, which is why I also tend to prefer razors with a bit of mass to them.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Mine's from when they still dated their production. It's from 2014, so practically vintage. :)

The edges between the teeth are square, while the ends of the teeth are rounded. Not to say it's the same with yours, but I've never had problems with mine. I tend to use a very light touch with most of my razors, which is why I also tend to prefer razors with a bit of mass to them.

O.H.
Thx. Mine looks a bit unfinished. I ended up rounding the tips of the teeth ever so slightly. Just enough so it doesn’t leave “rake” marks on my face. I didn’t round anything in between the teeth, only the very ends.

Thx. Mine looks a bit unfinished. I ended up rounding the tips of the teeth ever so slightly. Just enough so it doesn’t leave “rake” marks on my face. I didn’t round anything in between the teeth, only the very ends.
Kim, the "Closeout" stuff was what they used to have in the "scratch & dent" section before they announced that they were gonna close. I believe you bought that S2 plate from that section, correct?
Could it be that it wasn't a perfect specimen that ended up in scratch & dent?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It was from their "closeout" sale... it was easy to fix. I looked at some S2 posts here and I could see... the edges of the teeth were slightly rounded. I used fine sandpaper and a metal clip board.... felt the ends with my fingers and ran the base over my face.... no longer sharp enough to cut.

It was from their "closeout" sale... it was easy to fix. I looked at some S2 posts here and I could see... the edges of the teeth were slightly rounded. I used fine sandpaper and a metal clip board.... felt the ends with my fingers and ran the base over my face.... no longer sharp enough to cut.
Cool!
I wish my backup X1 base plate would be an easy fix. I don't think it's fixable as I believe it was simply cut incorrectly. I'd love to know who the machine shop is that built them. I'm sure they'd be able to reshape it. But of course I'll never know!
I think it will be destined to a cheap sale for someone that has the know how to fix or someone in need of a new top cap and handle.

Top Bottom