Razor:
GC84-P
Blade: Super-Max BD(11)
Brush: Omega Silver Tip
Soap: MdC Agrumes
Aftershave:RR Amici
Fixed Four: # 17

Tonight's shave was very nice indeed.

What can I say about MdC that hasn't been said, 3 seconds loading the brush and I never thought about going back to the puck for more.
It is that good.
Yes the up front cost is steep, I got my 200g tub on sale at WCS for $50. That will probably last me 3 years if I use it everyday.
It balances out.

And with a properly hydrated MdC lather, the ATG 1st pass on my neck was smooth, the blade might also be breaking in. I am finding that I need to buff like I'm using a tech with the BD's, but I am not getting the irritation. I shaved my face ATG also, and XTG around my lips.

The 2nd pass was nose to ear on my face and chin, and XTG on my neck. There was still some patches around my chin and neck, so a 3rd ATG pass on my neck cleaned up just about everything.
I brushed on a thin coat of lather and cleaned up my gear.

The Witch hazel felt nice, and the Amici felt nice also. The Nivea balm confirmed a very close shave.
My face is a little tender, but it is smooth.
BBS smooth.

I suspect I will wake up with a BBS.

20200410_225038[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I suspect I will wake up with a BBS.
When I woke up, my face was still BBS. 12 hours after last night's shave, and my face feels the same as just after a 1 pass ATG. There just might be a few more shaves left in the BD(11), I easily get 20+ with Gillette Platinum's.

My SR's keep nagging me, we're sharp they say, we are smooth. Give us another try. Fixed Four I say, I have an OC84 baseplate to try. I have an SE just patiently waiting it's turn.

Then @Esox announces >>>The B&B Gold Dollar Mod Competition starts May 1<<<

What am I to do?
20200411_110303[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Saturday, April 11
Razor:
GC84-P
Blade: Super-Max BD(12)
Aftershave: "the Veg"
Fixed Four: # 18

I'm pretty happy with tonight's shave.

Did anything stand out in particular?
Not that I can think of. Everything just came together, the brush just keeps getting better.
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

I'm not sure if I will want to use another brush after the Fixed Four. I could certainly use MdC for the rest of the year. The GC84 is becoming familiar.
blue diamond.jpg
The BD is getting smoother.

The OC84 baseplate is waiting.

I started over my lips N-S then XTG buffing, then nose to ear on my face. As usual, the right side of my jawline cleaned up easily, and the left side of my jawline is like raking leaves.
Multiple buffing passes, but never really getting all of it.

My neck was N-S, nice long strokes, the blade is so smooth, I can barely feel it on my neck as it cuts.

The 2nd pass was ATG buffing on my neck and ear to nose on my face and nose to ear over and around my lips. The BD really seems to be getting smoother, this was probably the most comfortable shave with this blade.

Is the blade not getting dull, or is my technique improving with the GC84?
This is easily the closest shave I have gotten in the Fixed Four.

The Witch hazel felt smooth, almost silky. The Amici has a wonderful light scent and leaves my face feeling soft.
The Nivea balm finished up the shave.
My face feels much like it did after last night's 3 pass shave, but was markedly closer.
And last night's shave was very close.

DGS
20200411_225357[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You are to wait and prepare for May 1. Then, you are to attack a GD straight in a flurry of activity and compete to win, I'm quite sure, some very nice prizes.
I hope there is a level for novice in training.........

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You are certainly having a great Fixed experience. You picked good kit for it.

I've not tried an Omega silvertip and am not likely to buy one anytime soon, but maybe one day. Very nice looking brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You are certainly having a great Fixed experience. You picked good kit for it.

I've not tried an Omega silvertip and am not likely to buy one anytime soon, but maybe one day. Very nice looking brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks Jim.

My Fixed Four kit has not been boring, I knew going in my GC84 would take more attention to detail than my GC68.
Not being able to fall back on my Piccolo or change blades has been the challenge.

I used my White Knight synthetic brush and TOBS for months when I first started wet shaving, but I was changing razors almost every 2 weeks, and blades after 4 shaves.

Lately I have been rotating razors every 2-4 shaves, but blades have lasted me over 20 shaves. A Gillette Platinum gave me 27 great shaves.
That might have been a better Fixed choice for me than the Super-Max BD.
blue diamond.jpg
I'm not saying I don't like the BD's, I just haven't used one in another razor besides my GC84. They are smooth, just don't feel sharp, I like sharp and smooth. I have used a Gillette Platinum in my GC84, and that is the next blade going in after the Fixed Four.

My brother gave me an Acca Kappa badger that I really like, but I wanted one the same size as the Omega 10066 I have been using, and the Omega 618 has the same 24mm knot and 56mm loft, with a nicer handle. It seems larger and it did cost a bit more.
20200412_114519[1].jpg

But if I can fork out $50 for a tub of MdC, why knot get a nice brush to go along with it?

And I REALLY like my Omega Silver Tip.

It might be a little small side for you, Jim, but I really like face lathering with it.
Face lathering does take a different approach than using a bowl, and if I can get similar results with other soaps, I won't need any more bowls..
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

Take care
Doug

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sunday, April 12
Razor:
GC84-P
Blade: Super-Max BD(1)
Aftershave: Clubman
Fixed Four: #19

Tonight I aimed for a comfortable close shave, an easy shave.

Armed with a badger full of water and MdC, just waiting to explode with a warm luxurious lather, I put the brush to my neck and face in a swirling pastern and in mere seconds I had a face full of wonderfully hydrated lather.

I started N-S over my lips then nose to ear across my chin and face, and N-S on my neck. The fresh blade was singing and gliding in long sweeping passes accompanied with enough buffing passes that I could have just stopped and cleaned up after 1 pass.

I shaved ear to nose on my face and WTG on my neck for another comfortable 2nd pass. I could feel the blade cutting, effortlessly.

I had enough lather for a nice 3rd pass, and ATG was in order to get the remaining stubble on my neck. I was able to make long passes, but some buffing was needed.

After cleaned up my gear and let my face dry and tighten up a little before I put on the Witch hazel, which did sting a bit. So did the Clubman, which left my face clean and dry. The Nivea balm left my face smooth.

I met almost all of my objectives, the shave was comfortable. The shave was close. I still have a rough patch on my left jawbone I can feel, it can't be seen.
The spot is getting smaller......

Damn Good Shave.

20200412_205315[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like the size of the Omega silvertip.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

These blades are just right for me. Smooth and sharp. Not saying you'd like 'em of course, but you might.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Polsilvers are on my list of blades I want to try. Blades can be very subjective. For quite some time Nacets where the bees knees for me.
Then I got a tuck of Gillette Platinums because WCS was out of the Polsilvers I wanted to try, and by the time I was on my 5th shave I had 50 of them on my doorstep. I got 27 shaves on the first blade I tried, those 50 should last me for a while.
Now when I use a Nacet I am like, meh after the 4th use.
I will always use a Feather in a new DE because I like sharp first, comfort second. If a razor is comfortable with Feather, well, it is a keeper.
And no better way to wake up a mild razor than with sharp blade. I used to toss Feather's after 2-4 shaves, but now either my technique has improved, I am using better products, or a combination of both, my last Feather went 8 shaves.

Brushes can also be subjective, but I really like my Omega 618. The size is just right. The loft and backbone are a match made in lather heaven. It is soft, but not too soft. It is comfortable. The handle has just the right amount of heft. The balance is spot on.
If I were to recommend a badger, this is the one I would recommend. $65 at Maggards. I'm not saying you would like it, but I am sure glad I picked it for my Fixed Four.

20200103_152215.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Polsilvers are on my list of blades I want to try. Blades can be very subjective. For quite some time Nacets where the bees knees for me.
Then I got a tuck of Gillette Platinums because WCS was out of the Polsilvers I wanted to try, and by the time I was on my 5th shave I had 50 of them on my doorstep. I got 27 shaves on the first blade I tried, those 50 should last me for a while.
Now when I use a Nacet I am like, meh after the 4th use.
I will always use a Feather in a new DE because I like sharp first, comfort second. If a razor is comfortable with Feather, well, it is a keeper.
And no better way to wake up a mild razor than with sharp blade. I used to toss Feather's after 2-4 shaves, but now either my technique has improved, I am using better products, or a combination of both, my last Feather went 8 shaves.

Brushes can also be subjective, but I really like my Omega 618. The size is just right. The loft and backbone are a match made in lather heaven. It is soft, but not too soft. It is comfortable. The handle has just the right amount of heft. The balance is spot on.
If I were to recommend a badger, this is the one I would recommend. $65 at Maggards. I'm not saying you would like it, but I am sure glad I picked it for my Fixed Four.

View attachment 1086412

I bet I'd like that brush.

I have a love hate relationship with Feather's DE blades. During the shave I love them, but afterwards I hate 'em. The just don't work for me in terms of comfort. I know they're great for a lot of gentlemen but I'm not one of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I use Feathers because they always give me a close shave. I won't call them harsh, but I won't call them smooth either. In a mild razor like a tech or a merkur oc with one of my favorite soaps, I get a very comfortable shave. I got a hundred of them when I first started shaving for $22, so they won't break the bank and I have enough of them to last me for a long time.

Derby's or BIC Chrome's don't agree with my face at all, and I feel the same way about Astra SP's as you do about Feather's........ it is a YMMV world, and right now my #1 blade is Gillette Platinum, but I do want to try Polsilvers.
After my Fixed Four.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Monday, April 13
Razor:
GC84-P
Blade: Super-Max BD(2)
Aftershave: RR Black Label
Fixed Four: #20

I'm gonna call tonight's shave a 50/50.

My face is BBS, but very tender. My neck I think is close, but very unhappy.

The lather was almost runny, so I shaved my lips and chin nose to ear, then full ATG on my neck with long steady sweeping strokes. All the way from the base of my neck to my chin in one pass, no buffing. Just enough pressure to keep the blade planted, then ear to nose on my face.
I probably needed to shake more water out of the brush, so it was kinda self inflicted.

I was shaving steep to neutral, but using enough pressure that I felt the blade scrape in a few spots, and thought for sure I was gonna have a weeper or two.
When I rinsed off I could feel I had used too much pressure, but still needed another pass.

The lather was still very hydrated, but my face was already sore, so I eased up on the pressure and shaved my face and chin nose to ear and WTG down my neck.

I gave my face a coat of lather while I cleaned up my gear then rinsed.

The Witch hazel felt nice, but there was some sting. The Black Label lit my face up at first, then started cooling off. The Nivea helped a little, but the damage was already done.

I am gonna put some HA on my face before I go to bed and again in the morning. I won't know how close tonight's shave was until the morning, my face is not happy.
20200413_194622[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday, April 13
Razor:
GC84-P
Blade: Super-Max BD(2)
Aftershave: RR Black Label
Fixed Four: #20

I'm gonna call tonight's shave a 50/50.

My face is BBS, but very tender. My neck I think is close, but very unhappy.

The lather was almost runny, so I shaved my lips and chin nose to ear, then full ATG on my neck with long steady sweeping strokes. All the way from the base of my neck to my chin in one pass, no buffing. Just enough pressure to keep the blade planted, then ear to nose on my face.
I probably needed to shake more water out of the brush, so it was kinda self inflicted.

I was shaving steep to neutral, but using enough pressure that I felt the blade scrape in a few spots, and thought for sure I was gonna have a weeper or two.
When I rinsed off I could feel I had used too much pressure, but still needed another pass.

The lather was still very hydrated, but my face was already sore, so I eased up on the pressure and shaved my face and chin nose to ear and WTG down my neck.

I gave my face a coat of lather while I cleaned up my gear then rinsed.

The Witch hazel felt nice, but there was some sting. The Black Label lit my face up at first, then started cooling off. The Nivea helped a little, but the damage was already done.

I am gonna put some HA on my face before I go to bed and again in the morning. I won't know how close tonight's shave was until the morning, my face is not happy.
View attachment 1086558

When I get in trouble I've overdone something.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
When I get in trouble I've overdone something.
Yep, I knew that after the first pass I had used way too much pressure. I was trying to keep the blade planted while shaving my neck ATG and I think I rode the cap instead of keeping the angle neutral. Kinda like trying to get a BBS with a 1967 tech, yeah, it is possible, but you are gonna pay for it.
It was a close shave, but not a good one.

I think I have maxed out my Fixed Four with the SuperMax BD's. But maybe not, maybe I tried too hard trying to chase a 2-pass BBS. I have some stubborn patches on my neck and jawline. Maybe three or four, or even five very light passes will do the trick. With lots of lather. I have lots of lather. I have another week with this kit.
Fixed Four, Fixed Four, Fixed Four, Fixed Four.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, April 14

Razor:
GC84-P
Blade: Super-Max BD(3)
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Fixed Four: #21

Tonight was a good shave.

Last night's shave turned out to be a very close but uncomfortable shave. My neck was still tender, I almost skipped tonight's shave.
But I wanted to see if I could get that close of a shave, without irritating my neck and face.

Making sure not to over-saturate the badger, I loaded enough MdC for at least 3 passes. After getting a very nice almost runny lather, I set out to gently shave using less of pressure and steeper of angle.

WTG first over my lips, then nose to ear the rest of my face and chin. I'm starting to either notice or get a feel for the blade as I used shorter back and forth strokes, almost no pressure. Just going back and forth until I can feel it is done cutting in that direction. I did the same as I was shaving my neck WTG.

Of course it didn't help that my teenage daughter decided to have a screaming match with her mother during my first pass.
They finally quieted down by the time I lathered up for my 2nd pass, and my parrot decided to pick up where they left off......

Amidst the noise level of D-Day, I shaved my face and neck WTG with a lot of touching up and overlapping on my neck. I even relathered a few spots as I went back over them.

My parrot finally quieted down and my 3rd pass was ATG and peacefully pleasant. I used very little pressure and just kept sweeping short buffing like passes until it felt like I got all there was to get. At least without using pressure.

I let my face dry and tighten up before I put the Witch hazel on, it felt tingly and cool. The Skin Bracer followed with an ASL alcohol blast, that followed up with a nice cooling sensation. The Nivea balm went on a glassy smooth face, and a very smooth neck.

I still have some patchy spots on the left side of my neck and jawline that I am just gonna have to learn to live with for a while.

The only time I can see the scar from my recent surgery to remove a mole is when I shave, but it follows the nerve behind my ear halfway down my neck(it was 4" long and something like 21 stitches)and the bumps from the stitches are still sticking up and get in the way. I have to be very careful as there is also a lack of sensation there, so if I do happen to clip one, I don't feel it, it just bleeds. I could grow a beard.........

My face feels much nicer than it did last night, even this morning, and I have a BBS face, and a smooth neck.

It was a good shave.

20200414_193024.jpg

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
No shaving tonight, but I found this little gem in one of my old shoe-boxes where I keep old stuff.

It was still in the box, but some how moisture must have gotten in, I'm not sure how, it has always been kept inside the house.
There is some corrosion on the back side on the chrome, that should polish out. I'm pretty sure that I got it a year after Alan Kulwicki died in a plane crash.
20200415_223104.jpg20200415_223541.jpg20200415_223502.jpg
The blade has Pakistan etched on it, but Solingen is stamped on the blade. It should sharpen up nicely.

Top Bottom