What's new

The Journal of a Backwards Professor

I geddit now.

Great! :clap:

I had previously measured the angle of my NSC on an optical comparator at work equipped and found the angle to be approximately 14.5° , and was surprised at the 9.55° angle my calculation came up with.

Thanks for the picture! The approximated angle of 16.6 deg (coming from assuming a constant blade curvature, etc.) is not too far from your measured angle of around 14.5 deg. I would take your measured angle over any of our calculations any day of the week. :biggrin1:

Not only that, many modern razors hide the blade from optical view, so a physical measurement is the only simple way to get a repeat reading.

There actually is another way to get that blade into the optical view. I used a modified blade to do that with my photo analysis of the Bevel:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Dont feel bad Doug, I cant even draw a stick figure. I can however, identify a NEW SC in stark silhouette lol. Their lines are even more graceful when viewed like that.
Yes, I still marvel when I contemplate the skill required some 90 years ago to mass produce such a lovely figure as the NSC.
The Fatip has it's own beauty with much different curves....and no stick figures in this picture Mike!
Schone.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, March 24
GC84-P
Super-Max BD(5)
Omega 618
MdC Agrumes
Pinaud Clubman

Tonight was a good shave.

This Omega Silver Tip is easily in the top 2 of my brushes. It is also my 2nd largest brush, the Omega 49 is as big as I want to go. I'm pretty fond of my small boars, with the Semogue 620 being my favorite.
I read it is pronounced smog.

After digging through my bag of handles, I found a 39 gram titanium handle the same length as the 37 gram bronze/titanium handle, and I swapped it out for the extra weight. I started off shaving under my nose and the rest of my face WTG, then went full steep ATG on my neck. Still no drag at all, as comfortable if not more than shaving WTG 1st pass. I am also remembering to wipe the lather off the scar so I don't try to run over it again. It was only a drop of blood, but it was a distraction.
Even thought the balance feels better with a heavier handle, the left side of my jawline there is one spot that always feels like sandpaper during and after the shave. I have tried DE shaving with my left hand, with decent results, it just doesn't feel right.

I can shave left handed with a straight, and I started brushing my teeth left handed decades ago. I can also lay a pretty nice bead welding left handed, so it is possible.............

The 2nd pass I decided to shave my neck ATG again, and it was still comfortable. I shaved my face XTG and rinsed off.
Splashed on the Witch hazel and cleaned up my gear.

The Witch hazel felt really cool, but the Clubman gave me a good zing before it calmed down. I finished with Nivea balm, my face is smooth, and I can only feel a little fuzz at the base of my neck.

I won't go so far as to say BBS, but I am beginning to realize why @Cal likes this razor so much..

20200324_201024[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I recommend a Fixed Four, including your RazoRock GC84, for a month. :wink2:
For me, a Fixed Four is the same kit for 4 days. Lol

I did give it some thought, but I had just discovered SASA and have been in the process of finding which razor is best suited for that type of behavior.:a53:
Apart from its looks, I didn't like the razor at all to start with. Serious perseverance and plenty fucussed practice did (and still is doing) the trick.
After reading my notes from my 1st shave with it, I am actually surprised I have never used it more than twice in a row.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019
GC84-P
Nacet(1)
Omega 66
Mike's Orange.

Really good lather tonight, started fairly runny, bloomed nice. Oh course, the lather is half the shave, and the GC84/Nacet delivered the other half. The first pass felt so nice, I almost skipped the second pass. But I had the lather, and I felt some stubble under my chin. 2nd pass I felt nothing under my nose cut, WTG face real smooth and fast. I took my time and used a light touch on my neck, could feel it gently....... I guess I mean by gentle is, I could judge how much I needed, I could tell that pressure would be bad..... so give it respect, it isn't a GC68-P.............. Witch hazel felt nice and cool, tried the new Amici Splash, interesting scent, maybe a tinge of a tingle...... Best shave all week, professed by my daughter.
DFS

It could be that as I was transitioning into retirement after 45+ years as a machinist, I got a small case of RAD with my severance pay and had other toys to play with.........:jump:

I will say one could do worse than MdC Agrumes, an Omega Super Badger, a GC84-P, and Super Max BD(5). And a F40.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Indeed. Not that much different than my MdC Agrumes, Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band, RazoRock GC84, Polsilver Super Iridium (14), and an F50. :cornut:
Oops, I meant F50, I must have had a GT40 on my mind~!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, March 25
GC84-P Super-Max BD(5)
Omega 618
MdC Agrumes
Pinaud Clubman

There will be blood.

I started with the razor in my left hand, now with a blade, trying to figure out an effective hold for a steep ATG attack on my stubborn wiry hairs on my left jawline.

Once I found a reasonably steady hold I was able to comfortably get most of it, but as I moved closer to the center of my neck I felt a scrape and a drop of red appeared.

Nothing major, I changed to my right hand and comfortably finished the 1st pass. And it was a very good 1st pass. The nick didn't bleed, and it was smooth sailing after that, finishing the steep ATG neck pass, shaving WTG on my face and chin.

A quick rinse and 20 seconds with the alum and I lathered up for the 2nd pass.

Oh, the lather, it was real runny in the bowl after I loaded the brush, maybe a bit too much water, and I know it is immoral, but I went straight to my face and lathered away into bliss.Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg
That was the 1st pass.

I didn't need to go to the bowl again for the 2nd pass, the badger was holding enough for 3 passes.

When I started shaving under my nose on the 2nd pass I had to do a double-take and check the blade.
Did it just fall out?
Or did I just find the right angle? I don't feel the blade at all...........AT ALL.
I did feel the XTG pass on my face making noise, but it was bliss. Same with the N-S pass on my neck, I could just barely feel the blade touching my skin as I listened to it go silent.

The Witch hazel felt really slick, and I let it dry while I cleaned up my gear. The Clubman did live up to it's name on application, then a cooling rush came over my face and the Nivea balm felt like baby oil.

A half hour after the shave I can't feel any hair, my face feels wonderful.

DFS
20200325_192235[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
A Fixed Four - same razor, soap, blade, brush - for a month would help you so much you wouldn't believe it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim,

I have actually been contemplating on sticking with this particular kit for more than my usual Fixed Four For Four Days. Or two days.......
I did participate in Arko August, and learned a lot from that experience.

When @Cal started his FFFMM I had just discovered SASA, and I was on a search to discover just which of my DE's razors was best suited to that behavior. I only have one SE, an ATT SE1, and it is wicked with a Proline, gives my face a glassy finish like one of my straights, but is quite edgy on my neck, I have yet to tame it.

The GC84-P is also a bit edgy on my neck, and I have yet to achieve the same level of effortless shaving with it as with either my Piccolo SE or GC68-P, but I feel the potential is there for it to become my Snap-to-Close Torrey 136.........

My Grandfather would have given the FFFMM a good ole toot-toot from his horn as he used the same Real Old English Razor every day for decades!!!
20200326_083848[1].jpg
GeorgeBruchhauser.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

I have actually been contemplating on sticking with this particular kit for more than my usual Fixed Four For Four Days. Or two days.......

When @Cal started his FFFMM I had just discovered SASA, and I was on a search to discover just which of my DE's razors was best suited to that behavior. I only have one SE, an ATT SE1, and it is wicked with a Proline, gives my face a glassy finish like one of my straights, but is quite edgy on my neck, I have yet to tame it.

The GC84-P is also a bit edgy on my neck, and I have yet to achieve the same level of effortless shaving with it as with either my Piccolo SE or GC68-P, but I feel the potential is there for it to become my Snap-to-Close Torrey 136.........

My Grandfather would have given the FFFMM a good ole toot-toot from his horn as he used the same Real Old English Razor every day for decades!!!View attachment 1078792View attachment 1078794

Very cool, Doug.

Great photos of your grandfather and his razor.

I would not suggest a Fixed with kit with which you're not familiar enough to be fairly comfortable, but other than that a Fixed is a great (but hard to do) endeavor. I'm finishing my third Fixed in a few days.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I would not suggest a Fixed with kit with which you're not familiar enough to be fairly comfortable, but other than that a Fixed is a great (but hard to do) endeavor.
I have a feeling that I am going to get pretty familiar with this particular kit, while perfecting SASA techniques recently discovered. Of course, after using an electric for the last 35+ years, pretty much all of the techniques I am now using are new to me.
I plan on loading my brush and directly face lathering tonight, skipping the bowl completely for the 1st time.
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

My Grandfather would have given the FFFMM a good ole toot-toot from his horn as he used the same Real Old English Razor every day for decades!!!

I'm not remotely suggesting my favorite safety razor would be right for you, but it might be interesting to you to read why I like it so much. Here's a link to that post on the E-2.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

I do not get good shaves with most safety razors unless I use them at steep angles or at least at their design angle (neutral angle).

Having said that, I am aware that a steep angle produces whiskers I'm not wild about, as the little suckers grow out.

1585241274953.png

Steep angle shaving works for me, except the whiskers become sharp! Shallow angle shaving with a safety razor doesn't work for me. So, what's a guy to do?

3-25-20.FixedFourKit.480.JPG

Yes, you already know the answer. If you use a straight razor you're using it at a shallow angle. Likely, a very shallow angle.

The whiskers are blunt cut!

Obviously, that's great..

Not that learning to shave with a straight is all that easy. I'm still learning, and I'm at least 400-450 shaves into it, maybe 500, but who's counting.

Face lathering is a blessing!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Great photos of your grandfather and his razor.
I consider myself lucky to have them, and the memories. When my Grandfather turned 89 he took me to the DMV with him, just in case he failed the test and needed a ride home. He passed 3 tests, 100% every one of them, 3 different examiners.
As he pulled out of the DMV parking lot with a new Drivers License in hand, he lit the tires of his 1974 Valiant all the way down the street!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, my Grandpa had a lead foot!
And when I inherited the Valiant I took it straight to Orange County International Raceway and raced it down the 1/4 mile.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm not remotely suggesting my favorite safety razor would be right for you, but it might be interesting to you to read why I like it so much. Here's a link to that post on the E-2.
I have actually read about the E-2 before, quite interesting. Not sure how far down the SE rabbit hole I want to fall, the SE1 is a tiger and just might be the only SE I will ever need. I'm pretty sure the SE1 is just as capable of chewing up my face as an MMOC. Of course I didn't need 6 techs either...........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thursday, March 26
GC84-P
Super-Max BD(6)
Omega Silver Tip
MdC Agrumes
Pinaud Clubman

I got sidetracked reading some of Cal's@Cal old I don't do journal threads and almost forgot to record my shave!

In preparation for my 1st face lathering experiment, I still used the bowl to cover the water mug and keep it warm while I showered. I use filtered water from the kitchen, made a huge difference for me.
Our tap water in Corona is so hard rocks clog the pipes...... my razor blades are stained after one use.
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg
Ditching the bowl, I left the brush with the usual amount of water, just a few light shakes and loaded the brush fairly heavy, I wanted to make sure I had enough to build a good lather, right?
Completely forgetting it's MdC, I instantly had a thick creamy lather, with water running down my hand.
It was so thick I needed to dip the brush in the water mug to thin it down, because the water in the brush was blocked by all of the lather. Lol

I guess that is why it is called wet-shaving, I had water running all over the place!

The rest of the shave went great, the 1st ATG pass on my neck I started full steep, and gradually let more of the blade skim against my skin. I still couldn't so much feel the blade, as mostly the noise level just rose as I got to a stubborn patch and went silent after a few strokes.
XTG face and chin, and WTG upper lip, no drama, just using a lot of different angles and strokes as I get more comfortable with this razor.
Switching from a 37 gram handle to a 39 gram handle really seemed to balance the razor better, I have a 41.5 gram handle, but it is slightly longer and I don't want to change anything for now.

It might be just right the way it is.
goldenticket.jpg

As I am getting more used to the difference between the 84 and the 68, I am letting the razor flow. I don't remember the 68 shaving ATG this effortlessly. And when the 84 is done cutting stubble, the blade just floats across the bare skin.

Lathering up for the 2nd pass, water still running down my arm and hand, I can't believe I have had this razor for 6 months and only used it 10 times, this 4th shave in a row is the 1st time it has been used more than 2 times in a row.

I don't remember much about the 2nd pass, a mix of WTG and XTG face and chin, XTG upper lip, and N-S on my neck.
After rinsing I felt a few rough spots on my neck and went after them with light buffing ATG strokes.

The shave took a bit longer than usual, as I was constantly changing angles and being careful about it.

It payed off, the Witch hazel was nice, the Clubman was a quick slap and hold. The Nivea balm glided over a whisker-less face and neck.

My face is calm, there is no hair on either jawline. Smooth as can be, DFS.

BASEPLATE is one word!!!!!
20200326_202328[1].jpg

Top Bottom