What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Too funny!...

Yesterday I attempted my first overnight print. Woke up this AM to fid that the hotend bowden tube came undone and the extruder cheerfully spit out a huge tangle of filament.

Oh well, it just gave me the opportunity to purchase more filament of different colors.

I don't do overnight prints anymore as I've had my share of disasters.
I check on a print often in the beginning, then every couple of hours.
I once had a tennis ball size glob of hardened PETG on my nozzle and heating head that was nightmarish to remove. :lol1:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
This all looks really cool but I'd never try it. I see fire and plastic on the ceiling and a VERY unhappy wife! Good luck to you folks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This all looks really cool but I'd never try it. I see fire and plastic on the ceiling and a VERY unhappy wife! Good luck to you folks.

You're dealing with some very high temperatures (another reason not to print overnight) for certain and ABS can be a little fumey, but overall if you're watchful and follow the rules it's not really an issue.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
You're dealing with some very high temperatures (another reason not to print overnight) for certain and ABS can be a little fumey, but overall if you're watchful and follow the rules it's not really an issue.
Yeah that's not me, fire and plastic stalactites

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
But seriously, my extruder runs about 211 to 213 C during an ABS print, and that's really close to 233 C, which is the ignition temperature of paper (as we all know from "Fahrenheit 451".

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I added two versions of the traditional logo mentioned previously in this thread that I made today for the Old Spice Mug lid, one with raised logo and one with recessed logo.
It may take a little while for Thingiverse to update the displayed files.

TOS2.png
TOS1.png

I finally got my machine calibrated good enough to where it makes EXCELLENT prints. It was a pain but with internet help (https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#intro) I managed to get it done. (If you do buy a 3D printer from Creality expect zero aftersales service.)

I must add that for such a cheap machine made with such inexpensive off the shelf parts, the precision it is capable of, to me, is unbelievable! Just yesterday I saw a Ender 3 for sale on Newegg for $130 w/free shipping. Mine is a Ender 3 V2.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I finally got my machine calibrated good enough to where it makes EXCELLENT prints. It was a pain but with internet help (https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#intro) I managed to get it done. (If you do buy a 3D printer from Creality expect zero aftersales service.)

I must add that for such a cheap machine made with such inexpensive off the shelf parts, the precision it is capable of, to me, is unbelievable! Just yesterday I saw a Ender 3 for sale on Newegg for $130 w/free shipping. Mine is a Ender 3 V2.

Can't wait to see some of your creations!

Quick shout out; stay away from Sunlu SPLA. While looking for a deal when wanting to add a couple new colors I bought two reels from Sunlu's website's bargain bin for $16.50 for both w/free shipping without doing a Google on it. I had a heck of a time getting it to work. First it didn't stick. After I solved that with a glue stick I discovered that the layers wouldn't stick together. Prints would just snap no matter what hotend temp I tried. The worst thing was the little globs it left on the walls. When trying to make moving parts. They just fused together.

I just binned both reels and will stick to Sunlu PLA+ in the future. As usual, you get what you pay for. :blushing:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Quick shout out; stay away from Sunlu SPLA. While looking for a deal when wanting to add a couple new colors I bought two reels from Sunlu's website's bargain bin for $16.50 for both w/free shipping without doing a Google on it. I had a heck of a time getting it to work. First it didn't stick. After I solved that with a glue stick I discovered that the layers wouldn't stick together. Prints would just snap no matter what hotend temp I tried. The worst thing was the little globs it left on the walls. When trying to make moving parts. They just fused together.

I just binned both reels and will stick to Sunlu PLA+ in the future. As usual, you get what you pay for. :blushing:
I've heard (and the symptoms seem to confirm) that there's a lot of moisture there.
Folks have had better luck after drying it in the oven.
The spatter on the walls is a sure sign of absorbed moisture.
I have a dry box as well, so I'm in good shape.

Hi Guys, I'm new here but I had to register when I saw a shaving related 3DP topic... I was printing several things in the last few days for my shaving things...

I'm printing with an early version Ender3 what I bought 4ish years ago. Since the purchase it went through several upgrades (better bowdens, SKR board replacement, glass bed, fan shroud) and I built a chamber for this out of IKEA Lack tables. This setup ables me to print ABS and PLA confidently.

I use Fusion360 for design and Prusaslicer (formerly known as Slic3r)

After 15 years of sporting a beard a few weeks back I went back to relearn wetshaving (I'm a beginner again, hehe) so this week yielded a lathering bowl, a brush holder, a small compartment for the 60g Haslinger soap I bought and a box for the blades I purchased in a big sampler pack. Nothing magical, I usually rather go for practicality with my prints. Those will be shared on Youmagine, I can bring the links here if you're interested.

20210725_211237.jpg20210813_155451.jpg20210814_003248.jpg20210814_003636.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi Guys, I'm new here but I had to register when I saw a shaving related 3DP topic... I was printing several things in the last few days for my shaving things...

I'm printing with an early version Ender3 what I bought 4ish years ago. Since the purchase it went through several upgrades (better bowdens, SKR board replacement, glass bed, fan shroud) and I built a chamber for this out of IKEA Lack tables. This setup ables me to print ABS and PLA confidently.

I use Fusion360 for design and Prusaslicer (formerly known as Slic3r)

After 15 years of sporting a beard a few weeks back I went back to relearn wetshaving (I'm a beginner again, hehe) so this week yielded a lathering bowl, a brush holder, a small compartment for the 60g Haslinger soap I bought and a box for the blades I purchased in a big sampler pack. Nothing magical, I usually rather go for practicality with my prints. Those will be shared on Youmagine, I can bring the links here if you're interested.

View attachment 1311061View attachment 1311062View attachment 1311063View attachment 1311064

Welcome, good to have you here!
If you read post #1 it outlines our process.
We use Thingiverse because it has been vetted as being free of charge to download.

I have a Monoprice Select Mini at home. I got it to try to get my daughters interested, but no dice yet. I'm only printing with PLA currently, but to this point material is not a concern. I haven't really thought about printing shaving related items. Perhaps I should print a blade bank or something.
For anyone on the fence, these things aren't rocket science. If you're a tinkerer at all, you can get it. And you can find almost anything you need to print for free on sites like thingiverse. But they are NOT just plug and go. At least not entry level stuff.

Welcome, good to have you here!
If you read post #1 it outlines our process.
We use Thingiverse because it has been vetted as being free of charge to download.

Thanks, I've been through post #1, that's why I'm here :)
FYI, Youmagine is based on open source, collaborating and sharing, originally created by the CEO of Ultimaker but afaik it does not owned by UM. (unlike Thingiverse/MakerBot or prusaprinters.org/Prusa, both free to use) Downloads are free and there is an option to collaborate on designs if the original designer wish it so. It also has a very good feedback process if you want to communicate with the designer. Designs run under Creative Commons. It's just another collection of 3D designs, several makers are sharing their work on all platforms. It is definitely not as popular and big as Thingiverse but has a nice community.

it's always tricky to utilize the last few meters of the filament roll, and I'm about to finish a kg of orange PLA, so printed a small cradle for my alum block. It came in a cardboard sleeve and I didn't want to put it back into it wet. Now it has plenty of air contact to dry out between uses.

20210815_192814.jpg20210815_192930.jpg

Unfortunately we are back to covid lockdown here so I had time to use up the leftover orange PLA from tha same roll.
Blade bank, friction fit lid (might glue it on just for extra safety in case it's get knocked over or dropped) and throw it away as it is.
Design and lid tolerance are spot on, print quality is not the best, I might have to troubleshoot the Z lines and there's some ringing around the embossed letters, time to tighten the belt or reduce speed... whatever, the box works.
I choose to the size of the short side of the blade for the opening, so your fingers aren't in the danger zone when disposing a spent blade. Has room for approx. 200 blades.

20210819_171546.jpg

Top Bottom