What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

I've been tinkering with the bowl kit and tried to see what it would look like with a little extra storage.
I double sided the lid, and added the bowl inverted to the top, with vent holes.
That would allow the storage of some soap/cream, a brush and a small bottle of AS.
Could print it with a both a single and double lid so that if you didn't want the extra storage it would be an easy change.
The kit is 5 3/4 inches wide, and even with the added bowl storage on top the overall height is only 3 3/4 inches.

View attachment 1296623
Whoa that looks great! I usually just take whatever samples I've got on hand so I don't need a ton of space but I'm not picky so I'll be happy with whatever you come up with. I'll be grateful

Fayiz D.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I started a test print twice with PLA and find that for some reason, the bowl bottom wants to warp off of the heated bed, causing it to dislodge and move about 1/3 the way through the print.
I've bumped temperature up on the bed twice and now I'm up to 50C for this run and I'll see how that goes.
I've never experienced PLA warping like this before. Also put down glue stick which I've never had to do with a print mat and PLA before.
I've had warping with a big project and ABS and slight warping with PETG, but never PLA.
Any of you guys see this before?

I've had my fair share of warping and bed adhesion issues with PLA. Here are some of the initial layer settings I arrived at: Print temp 200c, Bed temp 55c, Painters tape, No cooling fan, Print line width 125%, print speed around 25mm/s. I drop the print temp to 195c, keep the bed temp on throughout the entire print, start the cooling fan around layer four and keep my main print speed at 55mm/s or under. The warping is a result of the PLA not cooling fast enough compared to what is being actively printed so keeping the temp high at the initial print layer helps with adhesion but lower for the rest of the print helps with less temperature differential. Do you have an enclosure or a way to keep the ambient temp around the printer consistent? If you want me to test print anything just let me know.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've had my fair share of warping and bed adhesion issues with PLA. Here are some of the initial layer settings I arrived at: Print temp 200c, Bed temp 55c, Painters tape, No cooling fan, Print line width 125%, print speed around 25mm/s. I drop the print temp to 195c, keep the bed temp on throughout the entire print, start the cooling fan around layer four and keep my main print speed at 55mm/s or under. The warping is a result of the PLA not cooling fast enough compared to what is being actively printed so keeping the temp high at the initial print layer helps with adhesion but lower for the rest of the print helps with less temperature differential. Do you have an enclosure or a way to keep the ambient temp around the printer consistent? If you want me to test print anything just let me know.

I have an enclosure, and this latest test run seems to be doing well. I'll keep you guys posted.
Sometimes this is a puzzling hobby - what works one day may not work the next!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What slicer program is everyone using? I'm currently using Cura but curious about maybe switching it up.
I have an xyzprinting unit, so I am stuck with their proprietary slicer, which is sub-par unfortunately.
There is talk of opening it up, but it hasn't come to my model yet.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Whoa that looks great! I usually just take whatever samples I've got on hand so I don't need a ton of space but I'm not picky so I'll be happy with whatever you come up with. I'll be grateful

Fayiz D.

I've printed the bowl, the lid and now am printing the 6S insert.
The PLA and my printer is such that the bowl is not currently watertight.
Water will seep through the strands of PLA laid down. It looks like you are going to have to seal the bowl with something such as epoxy, or rubber paint to ensure it is water tight.
I have some rubber paint, but I thought it best if you do this in the color and fashion which best suits you.
I'll post some pics of the pieces after the insert is printed.

I've printed the bowl, the lid and now am printing the 6S insert.
The PLA and my printer is such that the bowl is not currently watertight.
Water will seep through the strands of PLA laid down. It looks like you are going to have to seal the bowl with something such as epoxy, or rubber paint to ensure it is water tight.
I have some rubber paint, but I thought it best if you do this in the color and fashion which best suits you.
I'll post some pics of the pieces after the insert is printed.
Awesome! I'll take care of the water proofing. I appreciate it

Fayiz D.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
What slicer program is everyone using? I'm currently using Cura but curious about maybe switching it up.
I use a Lulzbot printer. Even though Lulzbot will work with any slicer, there are plug-ins for Cura that handle the bed leveling and all of the other automated processes that occur with the Lulzbot printers. So unless I want to add gcode to the front of each print job manually, I need to stick with Cura. And Lulzbot is behind on their Lulzbot Edition of Cura, so that kind of stinks too. But it is what it is, and the Lulzbot Edition of Cura is fairly capable.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I swear that this design is cursed.
Got 75% through the insert and printer stopped feeding :lol:
Changed nozzle and reloaded, we'll see how this run goes!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am so over and done with this project!
Ordinarily, I'd be embarrassed to show it to anyone, but this was such a labor that this is the final product, and it's going to have to be good enough. If someone else wants to give this a try, you are welcome to! :lol:

@Adjustingtolife
If you want this item, I will send it to you under the strict promise you never tell anyone I had anything to do with it.
Every single problem that I ever had with 3D printing came up in this process, and some I never had before!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I am so over and done with this project!
Ordinarily, I'd be embarrassed to show it to anyone, but this was such a labor that this is the final product, and it's going to have to be good enough. If someone else wants to give this a try, you are welcome to! [emoji38]

@Adjustingtolife
If you want this item, I will send it to you under the strict promise you never tell anyone I had anything to do with it.
Every single problem that I ever had with 3D printing came up in this process, and some I never had before!

View attachment 1297784View attachment 1297785View attachment 1297786
Id love to use it! I won't tell anybody you were the mastermind behind this

Fayiz D.

I'm certainly no expert, but maybe all you need is an enclosure?

I have one of these on the way. I'll just add a pc. of 1"foam for the top and back.

2021-07-17 11_41_35-Antimicrobial Commercial-Grade Desk, Table, Counter Top Sneeze Guard, Asso...png

Too funny!...

Yesterday I attempted my first overnight print. Woke up this AM to fid that the hotend bowden tube came undone and the extruder cheerfully spit out a huge tangle of filament.

Oh well, it just gave me the opportunity to purchase more filament of different colors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Too funny!...

Yesterday I attempted my first overnight print. Woke up this AM to fid that the hotend bowden tube came undone and the extruder cheerfully spit out a huge tangle of filament.

Oh well, it just gave me the opportunity to purchase more filament of different colors.

Pics or it didn’t happen. 🤪😜🤓

Top Bottom