What's new

The Electric razor thread

With an electric shaver taking a hunk out of yourself is nearly impossible as long as the screen is intact. Another reason for electric shaving is speed. I shave nearly every day when I first get up. The entire process has become nearly mechanical and takes about five minutes including cleaning the hairs from the shaver. It’s hard to argue with fast and safe when I am getting very close and comfortable shaves.
The universal advantages of electric shaving - speed, convenience and comfort/safety. Not universally true for everyone, all the time, but generally accepted benefits of electric shaving. Notice "closeness" is not included in the advantage column, but that has considerably improved as well over time. "Safety" razors were developed to avoid the hazards of straight razor shaving - some would say at the expense of closeness (and even comfort). Enter the electric as the next step....

I had the best electric shave of my life: I used my older Panasonic ES8103W ARC3 razor (wet/dry) with Razorock XXX for a stubble clearing wet shave. The combination for my electric razor with XXX shaved me as close as my most mindful three-pass DE shave. XXX is a fantastic product with a DE or a wet/dry electric.

Being short on time, I shaved this morning using a Braun travel electric shaver. This was the first time I used an electric with my face wet. The result was a socially acceptable shave, with less irritation than I remember getting from electrics some 15-20 years ago. Not too bad; not as close as a DE shave, but better than I remember from previous experience with electrics (perhaps somewhat due to the fact I used it wet).

Using the electric shaver lacked enjoyment and was simply utilitarian; to me, DE shaving is much more satisfying and enjoyable.

Being short on time, I shaved this morning using a Braun travel electric shaver. This was the first time I used an electric with my face wet. The result was a socially acceptable shave, with less irritation than I remember getting from electrics some 15-20 years ago. Not too bad; not as close as a DE shave, but better than I remember from previous experience with electrics (perhaps somewhat due to the fact I used it wet).

Using the electric shaver lacked enjoyment and was simply utilitarian; to me, DE shaving is much more satisfying and enjoyable.
Have to agree shaving with electric is not a hobby. But the newer more expensive do cut better , quicker, and closer than a few years ago.

I agree that the electrics provide a closer shave than they used to. For me, carts and disposables are usually better than an electric, and a DE razor provides the closest shave. In general I have found that the learning curve is inversely proportional to the results.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much as advantage: in some third world countries, if you can buy an electric shaver (usually while traveling (cheaper)); then you will save a LOT of money in the long run (if that works for you); carts and disposables are extremely expensive, DE stuff so hard to get and if you have a cut throat.....you better be good at honing and have the stones....

Have to agree shaving with electric is not a hobby. But the newer more expensive do cut better , quicker, and closer than a few years ago.
Well, that very much depends....:001_tongu

20220112_113141-jpg.1392683

20220112_112713-jpg.1392681

20220112_115605-jpg.1392692

Hello Scaramouche.

How did you ever amass a collection like that? Are they all yours?

Cheers,

Gauthier
Yep , and over some time - plus a stash of vintage electrics I have somewhere (probably basement) of old Remingtons, Schick and Norelco. I actually shave with an electric daily - either stand-alone or to finish off a DE shave, and shaved exclusively for about 20 years electric after I started with DEs and carts, then back to DE. I rotate the electrics pretty much like the DEs, just less frequently, and I alternate between foils and rotaries. I shave exclusively wet with an electric with the same software I use for my blade shaves, so I don't need to change up much. Over a half-century of shaving experience speaking, so I have a reasonably good background regarding the capabilities of the old and the new electric razor technology, and the comparisons with blade shaving. All have a place in the broad shaving Universe, and with the proliferation of artisan software makers, it's almost like being back in the heyday of Schick and Gillette - a great time to have a beard to shave! :001_smile

Have been safety razor shaving for over ten years now. Don't have a heavy beard but I'm a daily morning shaver because I just like that fresh shave feeling when I go off to work. However, the time involved has been a bummer. Purchased a Braun Series 9 Pro. This morning was my third day of using it. Day 1, I used the Remington pre shave powder stick. Day 2, I used Williams Lectric Shave. Both days were good, socially acceptable shaves. THis morning I used shave cream and shaved wet with the shaver. Pretty close to a bbs shave. Took a bit more time but nowhere near the time I spent with a safety razor.

I have been using a Norelco One Blade and or Remington Foil Shaver. I am going blind and do not use a double edge razor as I can't see well.

Yep , and over some time - plus a stash of vintage electrics I have somewhere (probably basement) of old Remingtons, Schick and Norelco. I actually shave with an electric daily - either stand-alone or to finish off a DE shave, and shaved exclusively for about 20 years electric after I started with DEs and carts, then back to DE. I rotate the electrics pretty much like the DEs, just less frequently, and I alternate between foils and rotaries. I shave exclusively wet with an electric with the same software I use for my blade shaves, so I don't need to change up much. Over a half-century of shaving experience speaking, so I have a reasonably good background regarding the capabilities of the old and the new electric razor technology, and the comparisons with blade shaving. All have a place in the broad shaving Universe, and with the proliferation of artisan software makers, it's almost like being back in the heyday of Schick and Gillette - a great time to have a beard to shave! :001_smile
Which are your favorites?

Probably the top picks are the Braun S9 Pro, the Panasonic ES-CLS9AX-K (6 blade) and the Philips Prestige S9000 between foil and rotary. I usually use each a month or two and switch off.

Probably the top picks are the Braun S9 Pro, the Panasonic ES-CLS9AX-K (6 blade) and the Philips Prestige S9000 between foil and rotary. I usually use each a month or two and switch off.
Thanks for the reply. As you may have seen in previous posts, I'm trying out electric razors for the first time in many years. I have a Braun Series 9 Pro and a Panasonic Arc 5. Both are giving me shaves better than had thought and electric shaver ever could. Have mostly used them for wet shaving using TOBS Sandlewood and a shave brush. Pretty close shaves and still much less time than using a safety razor. Would have gotten the Panasonic you just mentioned but did not know it existed.. plus, the price is pretty high right now. If it goes on sale, I may need to order.

which brands have you found to be the best for the closest shave?
Shave for a week with the Braun Series 9 Pro. Have shaved about three days now with the Panasonic Arc 5. Really enjoyed using them both. Today's shave with the Arc 5 is almost as close as any shave I've had with a safety razor. I'm more attracted to foil shavers. Tried rotaries in the past but they seem almost foreign to me so will stick with the foils.

Shave for a week with the Braun Series 9 Pro. Have shaved about three days now with the Panasonic Arc 5. Really enjoyed using them both. Today's shave with the Arc 5 is almost as close as any shave I've had with a safety razor. I'm more attracted to foil shavers. Tried rotaries in the past but they seem almost foreign to me so will stick with the foils.
The Panasonics in my experience and by report all provide a closer shave than other foils - and as @jrtraylor said, almost as close as a blade (thinner foils, faster -14 000 cpm - cycling heads). The thin foils and faster heads however can result in more irritation without a lighter touch.

The Panasonics in my experience and by report all provide a closer shave than other foils - and as @jrtraylor said, almost as close as a blade (thinner foils, faster -14 000 cpm - cycling heads). The thin foils and faster heads however can result in more irritation without a lighter touch.
Haven't tried a dry shave with the Arc 5 but, using shave cream, I've had little, if any, irritation. Perhaps a dry shave would be different but have had such good success using shave cream that I don't really want to dry shave with it.

Has anyone used the Panasonic Arc 6 yet? Did you get the cleaning/charging station with it? Not sure it would be worth the extra $100.
I have one (directly from Japan), and it really is an improvement over the Arc 5. Different head design - a cartridge head similar to Braun - so it loses one of the advantages of the Arc 5 as far as travel cleaning and cost effective head replacement (cutters and foil can be purchased separately for the Arc 5), but an improvement in closeness and efficiency over the Arc 5, for me. A slightly larger head (about 3mm wider), which takes some adaptation vs the already massive head of the Arc 5, but easy for a current Arc 5 user. It's also slightly quieter, and for a foil probably the quietest IMO. You also lose the timer in the display, but after the first few shaves with the Arc 5 not something really useful, to me. The cleaning station is virtually identical, with just a slightly wider opening to accommodate the head, but the solution tray is the same size and interchangeable. As far as value for cost, subjective. It's a better shave, but maybe not $100 better, depending. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a good review, fairly objective.

Top Bottom