What's new

The Electric razor thread

The old straight driver slot cutter design heads for older Philips Norelco shavers seem to not even be made by the Chinese clone heads makers any more. All the listings I could Google for HP 1912/2 and HP 1912/3 head sets were NOS items offered on Ebay at prices that seemed high to me. My oldest fully functional Philips Norelco is a corded HP1601 Rotatract that originally took HQ3 blades per Norelco tech support but current modern Philips Norelco HQ56 blades fit it and work. I believe that it is one of the earliest Norelco razors that used the triple point tipped spindles to drive the cutter heads. I also have a HP1318 Rotatract corded/cordless that has an identical head and overall appearance to the HP1601. It still takes some charge.

I don't quite understand Philips' policy with regard to replacement heads. Perhaps ten years ago I bought a (then still corded) Philips 8200 which needed HQ 9 heads, primarily because of a positive test in a computer magazine. I must say that I was disappointed with the shaver. It had three concentric rings of cutters - only the outermost had the gimmicky "lift and cut" feature (since discontinued by Philips). I found that these heads were rather ineffective and also dulled quickly. They are no longer available from Philips, and also only "NOS" or as Chinese clones in the Internet - as the gentleman above mentioned with reference to other heads. In short, I thought they were junk.

The HQ56 heads - also with lift and cut - seem to have been discontinued. They are listed as no longer available on most Philips websites.

I honestly don't know if I would ever buy a Philips again.

Last edited:
Current factory HQ9 blades are still available on Amazon and from other sources, even ebay if you are careful reading the descriptions and possibly contact the seller prior to purchasing. Even Amazon does carry the counterfeit blades though, including listings that show a Philips factory box. I just bought a genuine Philips Norelco set on Amazon and installed them in a Philips Norelco Aquatec AT815 razor that came with HQ8-SH50/52 blades. Perfect fit and they gave a great shave on my very fine hair beard with minimal irritation, even on the neck area. I have not tried it yet but it appears from visual comparison that the HQ9 cutter set may also fit the low end Philips Norelco shavers that use the SH30/52 cutters. My oldest Norelco shavers only take the current HQ56 blades which fit many older Norelco razors that took HQ3 and later blades originally. No one apparently has a complete list of Norelco shaver blades interchangeability that I have been able to find.

If you remove the "In Stock" filter on the Philips Norelco North America web site the HQ9 blades are listed with the notification on the full page listing that they are only available from retailers. Below is a link to about the best, but not cheapest, source for genuine Philips Norelco heads and other parts I know of.

I had a lot of electrics in my time. I think Norelcos are more comfortable and quieter then foil razors. Foil razors give a closer shave for most people. I used to use a Panasonic foil and it was very close. I used to think that wet shaving with an electric was defeating the purpose of not having the messiness. One day I decided to try using edge Gel. It turbocharged the razor in terms of closeness. Only on occasion can I get as close as that by blade shaving with two passes. I gave up electrics because they always seem to break down, it's just a question of 'when' last one broke, I said that's it, I'm done.

I have a Norelco Rotatract from circa 1980 that I bought new and it still works fine with new Norelco HQ56 blades recently installed. Not as comfortable a shave as newer higher end Philips Norelco shavers as the "Lift and cut" blades are not as good as some of Philips more recent designs. Also much louder than current ones. This is a corded razor and most of the current razors die due to rechargeable battery death, to me planned obsolescence. If you have any electronics background you can find replacement rechargeable batteries with solder tabs for many of the razors and change the battery yourself or do a web search for electric razor repair shops. Still one listed locally in Reno. A $200 to $300+ razor seems to be worth repairing if possible.

Before this pandemic I used to get fantastic pain free wet shaves with a blade, a brush, and a great soap. Since the start of this pandemic and never getting any time off (my job stayed open the entire time) I've been wearing masks every day and wet shaving combined with the mask turned my face into an ingrown and irritated mess after shaving. I decided on a whim to try and electric shaver cause I heard good things. I tried wetshaving with the electric but much preferred the dry shave. The first couple of weeks were semi rough but I kept hearing that your skin needs time to adjust to electric shaving so I pushed on. Sure enough at about the 2 & 1/2 to 3 week mark my skin had zero irritation. No more ingrowns no more cysts no more redness. I was able to pick up a Braun Series 9 clean & charge for $140 off of someone locally and love the look & feel of the razor. My routine now is dry shave at sink, shower wash my face, and then moisturize when out of the shower. I can shave daily hell even twice a day if I needed. I'm hoping to be able to wet shave when the masks are done but for now I'm going to have to stick with the electric

I had to go back to using the cleaning base. My foils were showing the beginnings of forming rust, despite me giving them a good rinse with 70% iso alcohol and letting them sit out to air dry overnight on a towel while detached from the 'handle'. I do remember this happened with a prior model when I trialed not using the cleaning base. I do live in a humid climate but I have central air, a ceiling vent in the bathroom, and it sat next to a moisture trap.
My opinion on using an electric shaver wet or cleaning it with any liquid could cause the screens and or the cutters to rust. The only electric shaver that I used that I rinsed weekly was a Panasonic ES8103. Panasonic’s screens and cutters are expensive to replace, but they are made from stainless steel and don’t corrode or require a weekly coating of oil. Braun recommends that if you either shave wet or clean the cassette with water, then a coating of light machine oil must be applied weekly. I just go old school. No water ever comes in contact with my Braun shaver.

I don’t waste money nor electricity on a cleaning station. In my opinion they are just a gimmick designed to extract more money from your wallet regularly. I shave daily and clean the cassette by gently tapping out the cuttings from the cassette onto a piece of toilet tissue and brush out the other cuttings from the top of the handle. The entire process of shaving and cleaning takes about four or five minutes. No lubricant is required with dry shaving and cleaning. The head doesn’t have any odor, the cassette is nearly two years old and still gives me a great shave. I’ve through about replacing the cassette next month which will be two years of shaving. Braun recommends changing them after 18 months. Until the quality of the shaves begin to decrease, I will keep using it. I have been using Braun screen type shavers since about 1973 and have stuck by these techniques without any issues.

Last edited:
My opinion on using an electric shaver wet or cleaning it with any liquid could cause the screens and or the cutters to rust. The only electric shaver that I used that I rinsed weekly was a Panasonic ES8103. Panasonic’s screens and cutters are expensive to replace, but they are made from stainless steel and don’t corrode or require a weekly coating of oil. Braun recommends that if you either shave wet or clean the cassette with water, then a coating of light machine oil must be applied weekly. I just go old school. No water ever comes in contact with my Braun shaver.

I don’t waste money nor electricity on a cleaning station. In my opinion they are just a gimmick designed to extract more money from your wallet regularly. I shave daily and clean the cassette by gently tapping out the cuttings from the cassette onto a piece of toilet tissue and brush out the other cuttings from the top of the handle. The entire process of shaving and cleaning takes about four or five minutes. No lubricant is required with dry shaving and cleaning. The head doesn’t have any odor, the cassette is nearly two years old and still gives me a great shave. I’ve through about replacing the cassette next month which will be two years of shaving. Braun recommends changing them after 18 months. Until the quality of the shaves begin to decrease, I will keep using it. I have been using Braun screen type shavers since about 1973 and have stuck by these techniques without any issues.

I have been using Braun screen type shavers (various models) for the last 30+ years - always wet shaving (brush, bowl, lather) and cleaning them under water (cassette + head/top half of the shaver). Never had any problems, rust or other issues. Yes, I do lubricate once every week or two (1 drop per side) according to Braun's recommendations, but this is not for rust protection. The manufacturer is specifying this and is good for dry shaving as well. Last few years I added the latest Panasonic model LV67 to my Braun S9, with same maintenance - no problems either. I started dry shaving with an electrical shaver long time ago, but after 10 or so years I discovered the many benefits of wet shaving and I never switched back.

Ongoing discussion here, but I use all the software and prep I use with my DE shaving with my electrics - the benefit being that I don't need to change anything and it provides a closer and more comfortable shave - for me. And I do use the cleaning stations, which I find convenient and useful - they do a better cleaning job than I can, are quicker and they actually provide some level of disinfection and definitely reduce odor. The slight cost is worth it - to me. And yes, any moving metal parts in close contact benefit from lubrication - they last longer and perform better. Dry shaving is a benefit when traveling and I don't have the convenience of water and a sink, and a plus for electrics because dry shaving with a DE sucks.... :001_smile

It appears this is an ongoing discussion, so I don’t feel too bad about keeping it rolling...

I have a bit of a different experience to share with the group, and maybe it can offer some insight or benefits.

I recently started shaving my head. I was a bit apprehensive to do so with a razor blade, so researched electric razors in depth, and finally decided on the Panasonic Arc5 LV-65 wet/dry. Got it for $90. Did not want the cleaning station, since Panasonics have a built in ultrasonic cleaning mode, and the head cutter assembly comes apart super easy for cleaning. Just pop the head off, gently empty and lose debris and rinse off blades and head, put back on, squirt some hand soap on the blades, put in ultrasonic mode, which will time out after 30 seconds. I then run head under water while running again for 30 seconds, and place head and raiser on towel to dry. The soap cleans and disinfects. No smell.
I also like that this model Arc5 has a manual switch lock for travel, and actually has more features and better display than newer models that cost much more. The head and shaving parts are identical. There is an advantage to Panasonic continuing to make and sell old models! 🙂. I am also a big fan of Japanese manufacturing... I believe they make the best, most consistent, most reliable, and longest lasting consumer products ever. My 15 year old Honda lawn mower, which has always started on first pull, is a testament, along with with my Toyota 4Runner that has 90,000 miles and has never needed anything but gas and oil changes (at 10,000 mile intervals). Not even brake pads! So now you know where I stand as far as electric razor preference...🙂

OK - now back to shaving!
I find that an electric pre-shave makes a big difference. Of the actual pre-electrics, I prefer Afta. It is inexpensive, and works well. It can be left on, is non-greasy, and doesn’t clog the razor. It’s only issue is a rather strong fragrance.
I have found that the inexpensive Gillette aftershave gel also works very well as a pre-shave. It has a high alcohol content, so dries and stands up whiskers. It also is slick, can be left on, and doesn’t clog razor. I prefer it’s Fragrance over the Afta. I then use the Gillette aftershave lotion for after the shave, or the Gillette gel again.

I am a fan of wet shaving, and have used the Gillette Sensor since I started shaving full time. It is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of wet shaving technology. I always shave in the shower, after washing my face and getting steamy. I usually just use a Dove soap bar rubbed directly on my face. It works great, BBS shave every time. But, cartridges are expensive! And head shaving meant more cartridges more often, so I got the electric.
My plan was to continue wet shaving my face in the shower, and use the electric for my head. I got brave and tried head shaving wet with the sensor, and it worked great, no cuts and great shave, but it took a LONG time. I can get the same results with the electric in a quarter of the time. Maybe even less.
I wet shave with many different razors and blades, including DE (47 Gillette Super Speed, 40s GEM Heavy Flat Top, Schick Injector L, etc... So I am experienced and enjoy wet shaving. My best shaves are with the GEM and Schick.
I fot brave and shaved my head in the shower with the Shick. It worked with just a weeper. So I have that option instead of the high cost Sensor...
I then got brave and tried the GEM heavy flat top. The GEM works great on the face and neck where there is some give; it does not work on the back of MY head... two major cuts. So, for me, for my head, the options are Arc5, Shick Injector, or Sensor.
The Arc5 can mimic the BBS of the Injector or GEM on my head, again, in 1/4 the time, with no irritation and no chance of cuts.
Amazingly, the Arc5 can also shave my face closer in my trouble spots on my face than the blades, around my jaw line and under my chin. I have to work and buff over and over and still leave stubble with the blades, but the Arc5 gets it in one pass. The blades,however, shave closer overall on the flats and the feeling after us amazing...I don’t get that from the Arc5 on my face. But the head performance is actually faster and smoother with the electric.

My routine now is to shave my head every other day with the electric, and on those days also shave my face with the electric. On the off head days, I shave my face with the blades, in the shower.

It works for me 🙂

8FD0B415-50AC-4A79-873A-D8C5752FC44B.jpeg

Thanks for your great review of shaving with the Panasonic Arc 5. I had a Panasonic ES8103 shaver before my current Braun shaver. I used it for five years daily to shave my face dry. Weekly I cleaned the shaver as you described but only had three complaints. The first one was that the battery wouldn’t hold a week’s charge by the fifth year and the original cutters began to get worn and started pulling on my beard. Panasonic is very proud of their replacement parts. Replacing both the screens and cutters was mealy as expensive as buying a new shaver. For an additional twenty dollars I could replace the entire shaver. Another issue I had was that the trimmer failed after a couple of years. However, I may have contributed to it by extending and retracting the trimmer while the shaver was running.

I would have replaced it with a new one except I found a Braun 7968s shaver at Costco for about $100 and I bought it. I only use the Braun dry also and never rinse the head. The Panasonic shavers have stainless steel cutters and screens and don’t require applying lubricant to the head. Braun recommends using light machine oil on the head if you use it wet or rinse the head. I have been shaving with screen type shavers dry since the early 1970s and get a fast, close and comfortable shave every day dry. I have been using the same original cutter cassette since I bought the shaver 27 months ago without any degradation in closeness and the same comfort. I’ll replace the cutter/screen cassette when the saves begin to degrade.

It was neck and neck for me between the Braun Series 7/9 and the Panasonic. I went Panasonic mainly because I valued closeness a bit over comfort (and my face isn’t that sensitive), the Panny seemed to clean easier w/o the cleaning station, SS head, and I found a good deal on one. But they are both great shavers!

It was neck and neck for me between the Braun Series 7/9 and the Panasonic. I went Panasonic mainly because I valued closeness a bit over comfort (and my face isn’t that sensitive), the Panny seemed to clean easier w/o the cleaning station, SS head, and I found a good deal on one. But they are both great shavers!

I agree 100%. I went with the Braun Because it was a good deal on price alone. I had been using Braun shavers since 1972 when I bought my first screen shaver made by Ronson. Ronson was making Braun electric shavers under license sine the early 1950s. After about 1980 we were able to buy Braun labeled shavers in the United States.

Just an update:
I have found, for me, that I can get literally a BBS shave on my head with the Arc5 WHEN I USE AFTA ELECTRIC PRESHAVE.
The difference with Afta is dramatically different than without.
The Gillette gel aftershave with high content alcohol is better than nothing, but not nearly as good as Afta. The only reason I’m looking for something other than Afta is the scent, which is strong and long lasting, but apparently not as bad as I thought, given the compliments I get... which is a surprise.

I will start a thread about this for input...

Just an update:
I have found, for me, that I can get literally a BBS shave on my head with the Arc5 WHEN I USE AFTA ELECTRIC PRESHAVE.
The Gillette gel aftershave with high content alcohol is better than nothing, but not nearly as good as Afta. The only reason I’m looking for something other than Afta is the scent, which is strong and long lasting, but apparently not as bad as I thought, given the compliments I get... which is a surprise.

Too bad there’s not a version of Afta without the scent. I have never shaved my head because I’m not sure the few hairs in the front would grow back. I did a Google search on Fragrance Free Pre-Electric shave and several products appeared. You may want to look eachof them up on amazon’s website and read the comments of users. You may find one that’s as good as AFTA without the scent. You may not be the only person that doesn’t like AFTA’s aroma. Also, AFTA is listed as having a “Regular” scent and “Original” scent. They may be the same scent.

Reactions: ctr
Just an update:

Lab Series makes a very mildly scented (to me) pre shave that works pretty well:

proxy.php

And Ron's has an "unscented" (although sort of "alcohol-y" fragrance) version (that works not quite as well for me - high alcohol content), less expensive:

proxy.php

And EJ actually makes a pretty good pre-shave lotion, not specifically for an electric (can be a little sticky), but almost odorless"

proxy.php

I use Jack Black both for DE and electric, and obviously prefer it, also a lotion, not a splash (but a little goes a long way):

proxy.php

In fact not very many truly fragrance-free pre- or aftershaves, but some are not quite as forward. There are a number of pre-shave oils fairly scentless, natural and otherwise, but I'm not a big fan of oils.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

I prefer more of a gel/lotion, like the Afta. I also do not like anything oily, like Lectra Shave. I also don’t want to have to rinse something off. So the Afta meets all the requirements, other than the smell is quite strong. It is also inexpensive! Especially compared to some of the others.

I have researched quite a bit, and some claim that Hand Sanitizer, with moisturizer, works. Has anyone tried that? I’m planning to one of these days, when I get the nerve.
I also saw a recipe for a homemade pre-electric, but can’t remember where. Anyone else have one or seen the one I’m referring to? Or found anything else that works?
Thanks!

I used Afta in the beginning. Found it to be the best in terms of glide and comfort. But the overpowering scent was just too much and I stopped using it after about 5 weeks. Tried several others and settled in on LAB. Does a decent job though not as slick as Afta. Now at the point where some shaves are pre-shave free. Expect that will soon be the case for all shaves.

Top Bottom