What's new

The Electric razor thread

I have one (directly from Japan), and it really is an improvement over the Arc 5. Different head design - a cartridge head similar to Braun - so it loses one of the advantages of the Arc 5 as far as travel cleaning and cost effective head replacement (cutters and foil can be purchased separately for the Arc 5), but an improvement in closeness and efficiency over the Arc 5, for me. A slightly larger head (about 3mm wider), which takes some adaptation vs the already massive head of the Arc 5, but easy for a current Arc 5 user. It's also slightly quieter, and for a foil probably the quietest IMO. You also lose the timer in the display, but after the first few shaves with the Arc 5 not something really useful, to me. The cleaning station is virtually identical, with just a slightly wider opening to accommodate the head, but the solution tray is the same size and interchangeable. As far as value for cost, subjective. It's a better shave, but maybe not $100 better, depending. Ovidiu at ShaverCheck has a good review, fairly objective.

Amazon has the Arc 6 now. $399 without the cleaning station and $499 with the cleaning station. Pretty pricey. Although I paid over $400 for a safety razor and over $300 for another.

Amazon has the Arc 6 now. $399 without the cleaning station and $499 with the cleaning station. Pretty pricey. Although I paid over $400 for a safety razor and over $300 for another.
Indeed, and Panasonic no longer offers a free return policy. Amazon does (30 days), but on an electric razor only in unused condition. Times have changed. So probably a razor for someone already with experience in the Arc lineup, who knows what they want. Definitely a top of the line razor, but a victim of both inflation and Panasonic's historical tendency to perch price-wise higher than their competitors.

Just finished reading this whole thread. Pretty interesting.

I've used a DE off and on since 1993 when I went off to college. My mom gave me one back then because the blades were cheaper than the Trac II carts I was using. My dad has never used anything but an electric since I was born and every few years or so, when he would find something new, he would give me his old one. I amassed 6 or 7 this way (he's cheap so nothing great- usually the $12 Emerson from Walgreens or so) and I finally started giving some away to Goodwill and the like. I used a Remington rotary when I first started getting spots zapped off of my head in my 30's and stuck with it for head shaves for a few years. That shaver would tear my face up, though, so I either grew a beard or swapped out between the DE and Trac II/Atra razors.

Fast forward to a week ago or so. I got some major irritation and razor bumps from swapping out a bunch of razors, blades, soaps and attempting to go ATG with things I've never used before. It looked horrible. I went in the cabinet and dug out one of his old electrics, a Remington foil shaver, to see if that could still give me the pleasure of a wet shave without adding to the irritation I already had. It worked great. In fact, it has worked better than my usual WTG/XTG pass with a DE because I can go ATG with the electric and not worry about irritation- resulting in a closer shave. A quick trip to Ebay and Amazon got me some new blades and foils fairly cheap and I'll swap everything out when it gets here and continue doing this for awhile. I'm kind of impressed.

I just want to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, I am very appreciative for the info. I joined this site about 7 years ago as a DE shaver and have contributed my share of comments and personal experience with DE shaving.

Then 4 months ago all that changed when I suffered a minor stroke. I'm expected to 90-100% recover from the stroke, but until then DE shaving has been impossible for me without slicing my face up something awful.

I bought a Braun Series 6 at Target out of necessity shortly afterwards. I was surprised at how close the shave was......it certainly lags DE BBS close, but it's definitely serviceable and sometimes approaches DFS. Picked up a Braun Series 9 for $149 discount price at Costco last week, and it performs noticeably better than the Series 6 for me. For comparison and info, all my Braun shaves are dry with Williams 'Lectric Shave.

Bottom line, I'm grateful for the alternative, the surprising level of satisfaction with an electric shaver, and I'm happy with the unexpected convenience of an electric shaver. Hopefully I'll fully recover and be faced with a difficult choice of returning to DE wet shaving which I thoroughly enjoyed or staying with electrics.

Prayers and wishes for a full recovery! Hopefully soon, you’ll be loading up Feathers again!!
Thank you nvpliers (and others) for your kind thoughts. I'm very fortunate and I'm expected to recover, for instance I can type now whereas I couldn't in September.

But it is a very strange feeling when you wake up one day and things which were taken for granted yesterday are taken away from you without notice. It has given me the utmost awareness and compassion for others whose disabilities are more serious or permanent. Threads like this one are useful for them (us) when you have to adapt, and I'm grateful for the first class people who make this forum such a benefit to others.

Good health is a blessing that we take for granted until change is forced upon us. Wishing you the best recovery possible.

I have been shaving exclusively with my Braun Series 7 360 for about 4 months now I think. No longer use the Williams either. Face fully adapted about 3 months in. Nice to have the counter free of clutter and the simplicity factor. Will always use aftershave or cologne. One of many positive changes, AS no longer stings.

I am likely a bit offtopic here, but couldn't find a more suitable thread,
and I hate opening now ones for each question.

I am using Remington head shaver, link below
https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Ba...&sprefix=remington+head+shaver,aps,163&sr=8-2

During last travel I lost my charger, It has some specific connection point and none of my chargers for other shavers
(Philips) works for it.
I tried searching for it online, I got 2 options for around 26$ for charger which for me is nonsense, given that the machine
complete is 60-90$ price range.
Any suggestion for charger replacement or cheaper alternatives?
I need it for delivery in Sweden.

If I can't find cheaper charger, I would rather go for buying a new shaver, since I use this one for 2 years,
likely will need replacement soon.

I am likely a bit offtopic here, but couldn't find a more suitable thread,
and I hate opening now ones for each question.

I am using Remington head shaver, link below
https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Balder-Shaver-Black-count/dp/B08FNFCPNL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=15X6IIH251D31&keywords=remington+head+shaver&qid=1674637379&sprefix=remington+head+shaver,aps,163&sr=8-2

During last travel I lost my charger, It has some specific connection point and none of my chargers for other shavers
(Philips) works for it.
I tried searching for it online, I got 2 options for around 26$ for charger which for me is nonsense, given that the machine
complete is 60-90$ price range.
Any suggestion for charger replacement or cheaper alternatives?
I need it for delivery in Sweden.

If I can't find cheaper charger, I would rather go for buying a new shaver, since I use this one for 2 years,
likely will need replacement soon.
I have two Remington shavers and they both use the same charger, but looking at the pictures on Amazon you provided, shows something much different than what I have. Have you checked places like Ebay for parts?

Another option may be these guys. The website looks terrible, but they have been around for years and I know people have had good luck with them.

I have two Remington shavers and they both use the same charger, but looking at the pictures on Amazon you provided, shows something much different than what I have. Have you checked places like Ebay for parts?

Another option may be these guys. The website looks terrible, but they have been around for years and I know people have had good luck with them.
thank you for your input.

i think that remington have diffeerent chargers, either based on model or region.
when i type remington charger i get 1 and 2 entry pipes

https://shaveroutlet.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=remington+charger&submit=

i assume your machines have charger with 1 entry line/pipe

this is an example of the one that i need

I'm a Braun Series 9 user. I don't have a strict routine, but generally I alternate shaving wet and dry every other day. When shaving wet, with shaving cream, I get BBS on 95% of my face and a very nice, smooth shave. As important, no irritation. 24 hours later, there still isn't much to shave but I often do a quick dry shave (maybe it's more of a touch up at this point) and get DFS dry. Then it's time to shave wet again the next day.

Some of my advice for using an electric is it is very important to map your beard growth if you want a close shave. With a foil, if you want a close shave, you have to shave against the grain and most beards do not grow straight up and down, or left to right, or even diagonally. I was having trouble getting a close shave on my throat and I was shaving straight up against the grain. I realized, my beard grows from the right on my throat and turns 90 degrees up towards my chin. Now, shaving this way (from the right and then an upward turn) I can get get BBS on my throat.

One other piece of advice, I mentioned in another threat, for tough stubborn patches, I make short, small swirls while shaving against the grain. This helps in areas like the neck, where the hair can grow in a spiral pattern.

Also, to get a good shave with an electric, the hairs obviously need to be able to get in the foils. For this reason, gentle exfoliating my face before shaving is important for me to get a close shave. This removes dirt, dead skins cells, etc and leaves the hair available for a clean cut. If I'm using my electric wet, I will exfoliate with a cleanser (plain water works too) on a wash cloth right before shaving. If I'm shaving dry, I exfoliate with a wash cloth an hour before shaving and allow my face to dry. I've found before I exfoliated, my electric shaves where not nearly as good or close.

Last edited:
I'm a Braun Series 9 user. I don't have a strict routine, but generally I alternate shaving wet and dry every other day. When shaving wet, with shaving cream, I get BBS on 95% of my face and a very nice, smooth shave. As important, no irritation. 24 hours later, there still isn't much to shave but I often do a quick dry shave (maybe it's more of a touch up at this point) and get DFS dry. Then it's time to shave wet again the next day.

Some of my advice for using an electric is it is very important to map your beard growth if you want a close shave. With a foil, if you want a close shave, you have to shave against the grain and most beards do not grow straight up and down, or left to right, or even diagonally. I was having trouble getting a close shave on my throat and I was shaving straight up against the grain. I realized, my beard grows from the right on my throat and turns 90 degrees up towards my chin. Now, shaving this way (from the right and then an upward turn) I can get get BBS on my throat.

One other piece of advice, I mentioned in another threat, for tough stubborn patches, I make short, small swirls while shaving against the grain. This helps in areas like the neck, where the hair can grow in a spiral pattern.

Also, to get a good shave with an electric, the hairs obviously need to be able to get in the foils. For this reason, gentle exfoliating my face before shaving is important for me to get a close shave. This removes dirt, dead skins cells, etc and leaves the hair available for a clean cut. If I'm using my electric wet, I will exfoliate with a cleanser (plain water works too) on a wash cloth right before shaving. If I'm shaving dry, I exfoliate with a wash cloth an hour before shaving and allow my face to dry. I've found before I exfoliated, my electric shaves where not nearly as good or close.
Welcome to the forum, Beatle fan nice touch. Cold water an hour before an electric shave works best for me, for what it’s worth

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How would you say the Arc compares to the Braun series 9 or the Philips Norelco 7700? I am looking for the best electric razor to handle a heavy beard.

How would you say the Arc compares to the Braun series 9 or the Philips Norelco 7700? I am looking for the best electric razor to handle a heavy beard.

My local Best Buy had the Arc 6 with cleaning station for $500 in store. I was surprised. The box is almost completely black and doesn't stand out at all - almost easy to walk past it and not even know what it is.

The general belief is the Philips Norelco would mow through 5 or 7 days growth better than a foil shaver but it won't be as close of a shave. And if you have a thick beard you might want a Phillips 9000. The Arc will give you the closest shave but it can be harsh if you have sensitive skin. The Braun 9 will still give you a good close shave (though not quite as close as the Arc) but the Brauns have a reputation for being smooth and best for sensitive skin. Braun is better if you are prone to ingrown hairs and razor bumps.

The above - the Arc series are not known for their ability to mow down longer growth, but do generally provide the closest foil shave otherwise. The Arc 6 in particular is top-of-the-line, but has the largest head of any foil so requires some adapting if you're new to Panasonic. Shaving wet it really does come close to a blade. As noted, the Braun is generally touted as being more comfortable and picking up stray hairs better, and the S9 is their flagship. If you have a tougher beard, or wait longer between shaves, a rotary shaver like the Philips is a better choice for an even shave, maybe at the (slight) expense of closeness and comfort. Any electric requires time for your face and skin to adapt (30 days is usually recommended, but a couple of weeks should get you comfortable using one). I routinely shave with all of them, usually to finish up a DE shave, always wet, but frequently as stand-alone razors as well. Any modern electric is capable of giving you a smooth, close (enough), comfortable shave, and sometime it just takes awhile to figure out what you - and your face - like. An excellent source for reviews and information is the ShaverCheck site: Electric Shaver Reviews & Guides • ShaverCheck - https://shavercheck.com/.

Na but I ran across this old beater, so I snagged it cause and I sure liked the box. Uses D batteries. Made in Switzerland - Lord Riam.

IMG_8874.JPG

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My local Best Buy had the Arc 6 with cleaning station for $500 in store. I was surprised. The box is almost completely black and doesn't stand out at all - almost easy to walk past it and not even know what it is.

The general belief is the Philips Norelco would mow through 5 or 7 days growth better than a foil shaver but it won't be as close of a shave. And if you have a thick beard you might want a Phillips 9000. The Arc will give you the closest shave but it can be harsh if you have sensitive skin. The Braun 9 will still give you a good close shave (though not quite as close as the Arc) but the Brauns have a reputation for being smooth and best for sensitive skin. Braun is better if you are prone to ingrown hairs and razor bumps.

The above - the Arc series are not known for their ability to mow down longer growth, but do generally provide the closest foil shave otherwise. The Arc 6 in particular is top-of-the-line, but has the largest head of any foil so requires some adapting if you're new to Panasonic. Shaving wet it really does come close to a blade. As noted, the Braun is generally touted as being more comfortable and picking up stray hairs better, and the S9 is their flagship. If you have a tougher beard, or wait longer between shaves, a rotary shaver like the Philips is a better choice for an even shave, maybe at the (slight) expense of closeness and comfort. Any electric requires time for your face and skin to adapt (30 days is usually recommended, but a couple of weeks should get you comfortable using one). I routinely shave with all of them, usually to finish up a DE shave, always wet, but frequently as stand-alone razors as well. Any modern electric is capable of giving you a smooth, close (enough), comfortable shave, and sometime it just takes awhile to figure out what you - and your face - like. An excellent source for reviews and information is the ShaverCheck site: Electric Shaver Reviews & Guides • ShaverCheck - https://shavercheck.com/.
Thanks for the guidance. Shavercheck is really an invaluable resource. After going waaaay down the rabbit hole I finally somewhat feel like I know what I am doing.

I first started with the Braun Series 9, from Costco. Really easy to use, but, it couldn't really get me to even DFS, because I have hair that grows in all different directions. So I returned that to Costco, and got an Arc 5 instead from the zon.

With the price difference between an Arc 5 vs an Arc 6, it wasn't really a difficult decision. The Arc 5, after the first couple of uses in the shower, is proving much better than anticipated. It's not as close a shave as a DE, but it's certainly quicker and easier on the skin. So far I am getting acceptable shaves. It's an adjustment but it's not as difficult as I anticipated.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks for the guidance. Shavercheck is really an invaluable resource. After going waaaay down the rabbit hole I finally somewhat feel like I know what I am doing.

I first started with the Braun Series 9, from Costco. Really easy to use, but, it couldn't really get me to even DFS, because I have hair that grows in all different directions. So I returned that to Costco, and got an Arc 5 instead from the zon.

With the price difference between an Arc 5 vs an Arc 6, it wasn't really a difficult decision. The Arc 5, after the first couple of uses in the shower, is proving much better than anticipated. It's not as close a shave as a DE, but it's certainly quicker and easier on the skin. So far I am getting acceptable shaves. It's an adjustment but it's not as difficult as I anticipated.
After shaving with the Arc 5 for a little over a week, I have to say that it has really grown on me. It took a fair amount of getting used to. I did not overcome my skepticism all at once. But I can comfortably say that after only a couple of weeks with it, I am consistently getting shaves as good as my DE razor. This is shocking to me, as I used a very efficient DE razor, because my hair grows in all directions.

The routine that works for me is to shave in the shower, just like I did with DE razors. I spread a tubed shaving cream (like Speick) on my face, and get a very wet lather. I then go in the normal directions, the same as I would with a safety razor. After the initial shock, it’s actually kind of fun. It’s definitely faster than a DE, and my shave today is honestly 97% as efficient as my DE. Afterwards I apply a balm, the same as with DE shaving.

The process of shaving with an electric has really grown on me. If any of you are in the market for a new razor, I honestly recommend the Arc 5 wholeheartedly.

Top Bottom