What's new

The Electric razor thread

I used Afta in the beginning. Found it to be the best in terms of glide and comfort. But the overpowering scent was just too much and I stopped using it after about 5 weeks. Tried several others and settled in on LAB. Does a decent job though not as slick as Afta. Now at the point where some shaves are pre-shave free. Expect that will soon be the case for all shaves.

I understand. This morning my head shave with my Arc5 was pre-shave free (dry). It went very well, very smooth.

Reactions: ctr
Just purchased a Remington 5100 series shaver from Walmart. The closest most comfortable shave from an electric that I ever got. Better than the Norelco's that I had been using. I would like to know what the best oil is to use to keep it lubricated. What is the consensus of opinion here?

Just purchased a Remington 5100 series shaver from Walmart. The closest most comfortable shave from an electric that I ever got. Better than the Norelco's that I had been using. I would like to know what the best oil is to use to keep it lubricated. What is the consensus of opinion here?

I haven’t used a Remington shaver in a few years. I assume the 5100 is a screen type as depicted on Amazon’s website. I would use whatever the owner’s manual recommends to use. I have never lubricated any of my screen type shavers. And, I have been using this type of shaver since 1973. I’m currently shaving with a Braun 7893s shaver and Braun only recommends applying light machine oil to the screens weekly if you wash or shave wet. I always shave dry and never allow water to touch the shaver. My previous Panasonic ES8103 shaver instruction manual never recommended using or requiring any lubrications. As a matter of fact I never had to replace the screens or the cutters on the Panasonic shaver.

I’m sure there’s an electric shaver user on this forum that has a recommendation for lubrications. However, unless the manufacturer recommends a particular type of lubricant, as does Braun, I wouldn’t put anything on the screens or cutters.

I've got some clippers, detailers and rotary shavers, those ones for head shaving with four heads designed for head shaving, got them cheap, surprisingly good

Also got a two headed Phillips my father in law got me years ago,
It's battery operated but easily takes down hair, rather powerful and I've never changed the heads in mine

The two headed phillips rotary shavery father in law has is self sharpening too, so he's never had to change the blades in all the years he's had it and it's going strong

I recently got an Arc 5 from Target. This thing is unbelievable. Great wet shaver, super close and surprisingly comfortable for me. I read that it can irritate some people, but... not me, apparently. BBS all over with proper prep, Proraso cream and Zenith boar brush.

As noted, unless the manufacturer recommends lubrication you don't need it. That said, a complaint with early Remingtons was actually rust, but no manufacturer today, AFAIK, uses carbon steel for razor cutters or foils/combs. If you really need to lubricate a razor head (Remington, Panasonic, Braun and Norelco all recommend it for most of their new razors, particularly if you shave with foam or gel wet), an occasional application of light food-grade mineral oil is all you need - which is considerably cheaper generally than manufacturer-supplied lubricants. For razors with a cleaning station included, the cleaning solution provides all the lubrication required. Never use an organic oil like olive oil, because it can turn rancid, and there is debate on using some petroleum-based products for skin-contact applications (mineral oil is a highly refined derivative), but probably safer not if it isn't certified for cosmetic use.

Last edited:
When I'm not using my cleaning station I like using the Remington Shaver Saver, great product! I can't read my Braun Series 9 manual so not sure what it recommends, so I've also used a light food-grade mineral oil that I use for my hair clipper with no problems.

I used shaver saver in the past, but haven’t used it in years. Why can’t you read your Braun Owner’s Manual. You can download one in any language from their website. Just Google the modle number with Owner’s Manual.

I used shaver saver in the past, but haven’t used it in years. Why can’t you read your Braun Owner’s Manual. You can download one in any language from their website. Just Google the modle number with Owner’s Manual.

Oh I just couldn't make sense of the illustrations, there was not enough written instructions to get anything helpful. I used Shavercheck website to learn what to do. :)

Oh I just couldn't make sense of the illustrations, there was not enough written instructions to get anything helpful. I used Shavercheck website to learn what to do. :)
Yep. For economy I suppose, Braun and many other companies, rather than providing multiple translations, have gone to the cartoon approach. And maybe, more disturbingly, fewer people can read at a technical level. Pretty soon your car owners manual is likely to come that way....:001_07:

Second shave with a Remington 5100 shaver. Very smooth and close. No irritation. I use Remington Shaver Saver after rinsing it off and letting it dry. Best electric shaver AI ever used.

Wow, for the first time in many years I can shave everyday if I wish - thanks to my Braun Series 9. And the closeness is better then my old one pass shaves with a DE or cartridge. Never thought electric would work the best for my face.

hi, how is that so?
Well, first they are very similar in design:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Second, you use them the same way. Wet/dry, rechargeable/battery-powered, flat head that trims and cuts (with attachments). The major difference seems to be the disposable head on the Philips - which lasts reportedly for months, and the fixed blade on the Barbasol (which presumably has no replacement). I would guess that the Philips is more effective, since I've heard very little about the Barbasol, but haven't used either.

I use Biokleen chain and part lube every few weeks. It's a non-toxic, soy ester based household lubricant. Unlike machine oil, it isn't greasy and doesn't attract dirt, it's more like a dry film lube.

I have been using Remington Shaver Saver after every time I use it. I clean it first.

That also works.

Remington shavers are particularly in need of lube because the foils are often thin and prone to corrosion. The Microscreen used to ship with a molybdenum-based powdered dry lube, but I'm not sure what they are using now days.

Another benefit of having an electric, is what happened to me: The other day, with a double edge razor, I took a good chunk from my Adam’s apple area. So it took a while to fully heal, where it would be able to accept a raw blade (DE or straight) again. During this time, and to give the chance for the skin to grow back, I wet shaved everywhere except for that small patch. I then LIGHTLY shaved the area around the wound with a foil. Then as it continued to heal, I would use the foil lightly - but now directly over this area. Eventually - given enough time - one could resume wet shaving the healed patch.

Another benefit of having an electric, is what happened to me: The other day, with a double edge razor, I took a good chunk from my Adam’s apple area. So it took a while to fully heal, where it would be able to accept a raw blade (DE or straight) again. During this time, and to give the chance for the skin to grow back, I wet shaved everywhere except for that small patch. I then LIGHTLY shaved the area around the wound with a foil. Then as it continued to heal, I would use the foil lightly - but now directly over this area. Eventually - given enough time - one could resume wet shaving the healed patch.

With an electric shaver taking a hunk out of yourself is nearly impossible as long as the screen is intact. Another reason for electric shaving is speed. I shave nearly every day when I first get up. The entire process has become nearly mechanical and takes about five minutes including cleaning the hairs from the shaver. It’s hard to argue with fast and safe when I am getting very close and comfortable shaves.

Top Bottom