What's new

Thoughts on Philips OneBlade?

Howdy!

Background:
I keep a full beard and only shave my neck. I used to use electric razors, predominantly the rotary head style. No matter what I tried with them, I always got neck irritation, razor burn, and bumps. Shaving was more like a rodent gnawing at my neck than hair removal. In 2014, a friedn introduced me to DE shaving, and that's what I've been doing the past decade. I've gone through a variety of razors and product, looking for a good combination of speed and comfort. For several years that's been a Gillette Tech, Astra SP blade, and Pacific Shaving cream. Even still, though, I get irritation and occasional bumps on my neck. There's a particular spot that's the most troublesome.

The other day, I saw the OneBlade in a store, and started looking into it. It seems its designed to specifically not be a BBS-close type shave, and they even advertise it as being good for sensitive skin. But they also say it works best when used dry, and that's sounds like the opposite of all I've learned over the years. If it does work as described, though, it may be worth a shot.

A couple of cons I've encountered:
1) A lot of the reviews seemed more like ads than actual reviews of the product. That leaves a bad taste in my mount.
2) Blade life seems to be all over the map based on comments I've read. Some saying they only last a couple shaves to some saying they've used the same one for years.
3) I don't love the fragile, plastic, expensive disposable concept much. But I may cave if the feedback form B&Bers is positive.

So, what say you? Anyone have any experience with this gizmo to share?

I've had one for a couple of years now. I bought it when i had a skin reaction and couldn't wet shave. I found it to give a decent shave but not to be a BBS, more of a DFS. I dont have a lot of beard stubble, but what grows out of my face is like electrical wire. Anyhow when my skin had cleared up it went to the back of the draw. However this year I've moved over to electric foil shaving and grown a close goatee beard. I personally have found the one blade comes into its own for edging and shaping as well as catching those pesky lay flat hairs on my jaw line. Also theres a great accessory out (Amazon and aliexpress) there that allows you to have an adjustable clipper type attachment instead of the fiddly individual ones, as well as nose hair trimmer etc. As for blade life, there's an in-built indicator on the the blade itself. However if you dont shave every day or just on the neck as I do you'll easily get 6 plus months of use per blade. If you properly shave every day it'll be as little as a month, but you can ignore the indicator and use untill its no longer cutting hair. To clean just blast under a tap and give it a little brush with an old tooth brush, use shaver oil or cleaner if you wish. One thing on price, it's all over the place, so shop around. 👍 Hope this helps.

Here's the accessory I mentioned. You just dial in your clipper preference and away you go

Screenshot_20240416-133547.png

I have had one for years but don't use it all the time.. I recently tore my rotator cuff though and until I get that fixed I have been using it to not hurt my arm worse.. I like it and it comes in Very handy around the mouth area And also under the nose at nostrils. The blades last a good amount and if you look online you can find replacement blades for really good deals !! It give a perfectly acceptable shave....I liked mine so much that I got my dad and my oldest son And my wife And my Mom one and they like theirs too.... My Wife uses it for underarms and for quick leg shaves (so its nice for the women too )!! They are also good for diabetics and people on blood thinners also as they Very rarely will leave a nick ....

Very helpful feedback, thanks!

Good t hear that you both have experienced decent blade life as well.

Since its just my neck, I'm only really shooting for DFS territory anyway. And if i get it all red and irritated (and sometimes bleeding), a closer shave may end up looking worse.

I've used one actually as a wet shaver after particularly bad shaves for a couple of days of healing, or as a quick touch-up, or to shorten a beard prior to an electric shave, and find that it works great - for what it is. It's nowhere near as close as blade or electric, and that's a good thing. Its just about impossible to nick yourself, and the blades seem to last forever. And if you're going for the Brad Pitt look before the barbecue, easy to get. For the bank CEO interview or pre-opera in formal tux, maybe not so much....

Good to know! If anyone is considering me for a CEO position, my shave is the least of their concerns :biggrin1:

I think the lack of closeness is probably why it seems to get positive reviews for sensitive skin. I do wonder about the wet vs dry aspect. Philips recommends dry for the best shave, and if the "best" isn't very close, how much worse is it when wet?

I think I'm fairly well convinced to go ahead and get one to try. I don't like wasting money, but its not that huge of an expense, especially if it solves my problem.

Ok, so I picked one up. First shave I decided to try dry. No blood letting, which is good. Not a close shave, as I expected, but not bad. It didn't leave any red area or marks, so its hard to say it was irritating, but it wasn't completely smooth and comfortable.

Tomorrow, I'll try it wet with just water to compare. And the next time add soap or cream.

Ok, second shave done. This time I tried using just water, and it was a complete failure. The blade kept sticking to my skin and when it did slide across, it struggled to cut the hair. after drying off and trying again, i had more success. My neck is more irritated than the first shave, but that seems understandable given the aborted attempt to use water. Still no blood letting, which is good.

The next shave ill use my normal pacific shave caffeinated shave cream and see how that does.

Just some observations, specific to me. I never shave dry - with anything. Shaving with anything sharp - scissors, axe, Bowie knife, razor blade, electric razor - without any friction-reducing product between blade and skin is like being sandpapered. I can't imagine taking a DE razor and just pulling it across my face, dry. Actually, I can imagine it, it just gives me shivers. So my "dry," even with an electric, is with some sort of pre-shave.

I understand that many souls do it (shave dry) with an electric, but an electric razor is just a bunch of tiny sharp blades, moving really fast. The fact that you can do it at all is a tribute to the electric design of separating your skin from the blades by the merest thickness of a thin metal sheet or comb, which actually doesn't provide complete protection - hence "razor burn,' which is the result of removing that microscopic portion of your epidermis that protruded through the necessary holes in the metal. And all complete unnecessary - you can actually apply a lubricant to your skin - shaving oil, soap, Williams or Mennen's (which are actually alcohol, oil and fragrance) - anything that actually reduces friction between the metal plate and your hide (which water doesn't, as you discovered), and it will reduce the surface damage from moving blades in intermittent contact with your skin, fast or slow.

Eventually, with enough irritation, your skin will (usually) develop its own protective keratin layer, so the result of constant really dry shaving will produce a thicker layer more resistant to damage, and yes, "dry" shaving will work. Like the calluses on the fingertips of guitar players. But personally, I prefer avoiding that, and as above, specific to my shaving technique only.

Shaving is is a very personal and learned experience, so we generally do what we know, or have tried. Sometimes we even learn something new - so maybe that wet shave with soap will be the solution, or failing that, some sort of pre-shave.

Thangs for the insights. Back in the day when I used to shave with a rotary electric I got razor burn wet (soap) or dry. I’m mainly trying this different ways since it seems like many of the people who have reviewed it use it differently. Ultimately I’m trying to maximize comfort and convenience.

Top Bottom