What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

I have been SE shaving for about 3 months & all my SE shaves have been with my B2 Mongoose. In that 3 month period, I bought several vintage SE razors, including an Ever Ready Streamline Jewel, but I didn’t use any of them, as the Mongoose was so good. Also, from my experience with my 30+ vintage DE razors, I have yet to find one which shaves as well as my modern stainless steel razors.

Yesterday, on a whim, I put a Gem stainless steel blade in my Streamline & gave it a run out. I must say that I was mightily impressed. The Streamline was very easy to use & seemed to require no change in technique from how I use the Mongoose. It was the smoothest & possibly the loudest razor I have ever used. The blade guard is an excellent design, being a sort of “halfway house” between an open comb & a safety bar. The razor is also well balanced & the thumb & two finger hold, necessitated by the shortness of the knurling on the handle, worked very well.

The results of the shave were on a par to what I achieve with my Weber PH, or ATT R1, so the Streamline competes very well with some of the best of my modern razors. However, the Streamline is more fun to use with the extreme smoothness & massive audible feed back of each stroke. I used my Streamline again today & I can confirm that yesterday’s shave was no fluke.

I assume that SE razors pre date DE razors, so I am puzzled why DE razors became more popular. DE razors offer no advantage as far as I can see. Even for someone shaving for the first time, in the case of the Streamline at least, it is a far easier piece of equipment to use than a Gillette Tech, whilst providing better results than any vintage razor I have used. Looks wise, in my opinion the Streamline does not look out of place next to the best of the Gillette offerings, such as the #15.

$IMG_20151027_113235997_HDR.jpg$IMG_20151027_113255131_HDR.jpg$IMG_20151027_113417151_HDR.jpg$IMG_20151027_113633877_HDR.jpg

The Streamline is indeed a finely crafted instrument, a work of art. It seems to have been marketed more as a presentation/gift piece than as a daily shaver.

The Kampfe Bros. 1880 patent predates Gillette by 24 years and includes the first known use of the term "safety razor."

Just another case of superior marketing beating out superior technology.

--Bob

The Streamline is indeed a finely crafted instrument, a work of art. It seems to have been marketed more as a presentation/gift piece than as a daily shaver.

The Kampfe Bros. 1880 patent predates Gillette by 24 years and includes the first known use of the term "safety razor."

Just another case of superior marketing beating out superior technology.

--Bob

Yes! I was going to say the same.

Gillette's whole concept of a thin double edged blade is counterintuitive and a bit silly really.

But sheer force of marketing and Gillette clinching military contracts led to many people experiencing the DE as their first razor.

ASR were producing SEs well into the 1970's (I'm sure you could give a bit more accurate information on this one Bob!) but for some reason nobody has seen fit to produce a 21st Century razor that takes the GEM blades, although I think most of us agree that these give more comfortable and smarter shaves than DEs.

And this discussion is making me want to use my Streamline right now!
As is being constantly reaffirmed, it is a true masterpiece.

Hi Bob & Marcus,
Just on Day 2 with a "Streamline ", I have to be careful about rotating razors- would be far too easy to keep on using it. Such a superb razor too.

I have passed one on to a friend who loves it. Also, managed to get a Metal Box Set , a " Jewel " I think seems to be the name for that set.

I'm still looking for the older version. I must have 2 dozen ER Streamlines and a dozen Gem Jewels. I've imposed a no-buy directive until I can find an old version.

I'm still looking for the older version. I must have 2 dozen ER Streamlines and a dozen Gem Jewels. I've imposed a no-buy directive until I can find an old version.
So that is where they have all gone.....

They are sweet looking. Love the heads and handles on the Streamline razors.

I found that I preferred the newer version (and wondered if it had been designed to shave better with the modern SE blades) but the older version is definitely scarcer so good luck!

I've almost broke down a few times on a couple of nice sets. I just set a reasonable bid and if it goes over that, I just bite the bullet and let it go. Each one hurts a little bit, but I don't want to overpay on something I already have a lot of. :)
That is a good way to go about it. Almost better to bid early and set your limit and leave it and see if you win.

Constantly watching or checking prices of eBay items can lead to some last minute stretching of budget or outright crazy bidding...

I've almost broke down a few times on a couple of nice sets. I just set a reasonable bid and if it goes over that, I just bite the bullet and let it go. Each one hurts a little bit, but I don't want to overpay on something I already have a lot of. :)
One of these days the bullet is gonna bite you:laugh:

That is a good way to go about it. Almost better to bid early and set your limit and leave it and see if you win.

Constantly watching or checking prices of eBay items can lead to some last minute stretching of budget or outright crazy bidding...
I have been guilty of that numerous times.

One of these days the bullet is gonna bite you:laugh:

I am certain another one, (or three or five), will lure me back. I still check from time to time.

New to Streamlines and Jewels here. Can you tell me what distinguishes an old version from a newer one?

Thanks - Karl

If i remember correctly, The openings under the head of the razor are different sizes, also the handle has a shorter thicker neck as well. Maybe a few other things, i can't remeber all at the moment, Also look at some of my postings and you will see i have a few, Sonething should be there :eek:)

New to Streamlines and Jewels here. Can you tell me what distinguishes an old version from a newer one?

Thanks - Karl

Does anyone have an idea how rare an old style gold plated Ever-Ready Streamline may be? I have a very nice complete set in the the white clamshell case, but cannot find out anything about it on the web.

Top Bottom