What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I do enjoy the various Streamline/Jewel threads, have had a total of three over time, and I cannot recall every seeing on the forums or elsewhere a gilt Streamline. If you have one a picture would cure my lack of experience in that regard.

There was a gold Streamline set on the 'Bay back in May. That is the only one I've ever seen. It went for a premium price, of course, but I'm still kicking myself for not going after it more aggressively.

--Bob

Does anyone have an idea how rare an old style gold plated Ever-Ready Streamline may be? I have a very nice complete set in the the white clamshell case, but cannot find out anything about it on the web.

Wow! Please please please post some photos... please!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I will eventually, but I just realized there is a photo of a gold set in the 12th post of this thread.

That one, given the context of the other pictures there, looks like the gilding was added in Photoshop, or that's what I assumed ..

Wow! Please please please post some photos... please!

it could have been this one:

proxy.php

I don't like gold plated razors to use - the plating is too soft and wears quickly. Chrome is much better, and the Chrome plating on the Streamlines is awesome.

That doesn't mean I don't want to add a gold Streamline set to my collection. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I don't think these were ever made in gold tone. If there is a set out there in gold, it has to have been done to it. I would hate to think the gorgeous chrome was changed out like that. :(

You may be right, but I'd think it more likely that someone had their set replated. I've never seen anywhere that this set was offered in gold, but I could be wrong.

You may well be right.

At first I was sceptical. Replating a chrome plated razor is a lot of work. It involves stripping off the chrome and re-doing the nickel plating underneath before the gold can even be applied.

However, I have scrolled through this entire thread, all 4 years & 1000+ posts (hey, there are worse ways to kill an hour), and there are no gold models at all prior to this point in the thread. I also looked at a number of ads and while there were numerous references to "heavy chromium plating" I found no mention of it being offered in gold or anything else. The printing on the shipper identifies the sets with the stropper as the "New Chrome Strop Outfit."

It could be a limited edition, in which case it would be worth a lot but only if there was some sort of supporting documentation.

We'll probably never know for sure. :blink:

--Bob

I wish to join this illustrious group with this entry..
$image.jpg
It was a legitimate 'in the wild' find at a local swap meet. In a bag with a slim twist and a 60's Chinese seagull tto, I paid $25 AUD for the 3! There no case, and some signs of wear, but for what equates to an $8.33 razor, I'm not bothered!!

Nice score! Your finding one of these in the wild gives credence to the theory that Gem branded products produced by the British American Safety Razor facility were intended for export, primarily to Australia.

You realize that joining the Cult of Streamline means that you are required to read this entire thread - all 1,000+ posts! :blink:

--Bob

Nice score! Your finding one of these in the wild gives credence to the theory that Gem branded products produced by the British American Safety Razor facility were intended for export, primarily to Australia.

You realize that joining the Cult of Streamline means that you are required to read this entire thread - all 1,000+ posts! :blink:

--Bob
That's why it's taken me nearly two days to get this pic up :blush: I started on page one!!!

I wish to join this illustrious group with this entry..
View attachment 675922
It was a legitimate 'in the wild' find at a local swap meet. In a bag with a slim twist and a 60's Chinese seagull tto, I paid $25 AUD for the 3! There no case, and some signs of wear, but for what equates to an $8.33 razor, I'm not bothered!!
Excellent exquisite find, and price

--Bob
Bob, I was here when the founder made this thread, I read 80% since:thumbup1:

Top Bottom