What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Welcome aboard Dan. If you're not already, you're about to get addicted to the Streamline.

I wish to join this illustrious group with this entry..
View attachment 675922
It was a legitimate 'in the wild' find at a local swap meet. In a bag with a slim twist and a 60's Chinese seagull tto, I paid $25 AUD for the 3! There no case, and some signs of wear, but for what equates to an $8.33 razor, I'm not bothered!!

This picture doesn't look right. Look at the strop, it's way too red. This looks like the wrong white balance setting was used.

If this was shot on film, I would say that standard film was used under tungsten light and the photographer didn't know to use a blue filter.

it could have been this one:

proxy.php

$streamline2016.jpg

I really cannot explain why I don't use my Streamline more often. It's both beautiful to look at and an incredible shaver, managing to be both aggressive and silky smooth at the same time. This razor and the Gem stainless steel ptfe blade are a match made in heaven.

--Bob

So a lot of Streamlines have passed through my hands recently but here's the keeper:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Strictly speaking is this an ER Jewel because of the metal case?

It's a beautiful thing for sure.

Last edited:
Congrats, but I have to say that I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. Is there something a bit off with the cap on the side closest to the camera? it almost looks like it was cut or filed, but it doesn't quite look right in this picture.

So a lot of Streamlines have passed through my hands recently but here's the keeper:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Strictly speaking is this an ER Jewel because of the metal case?

It's a beautiful thing for sure.

Last edited:
Congrats, but I have to say that I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. Is there something a bit off with the cap on the side closest to the camera? it almost looks like it was cut or filed, but it doesn't quite look right in this picture.
Could it be a reflection in the chrome?

Reflection cos it's just so shiny!!
proxy.php

First shave today with my Streamline with Feather FHS-10 blade, impressive :001_smile. I recently obtained the razor in very good condition, not quite mint but not far off. (the line on the head is a reflection, not a scratch).

$DSCF0146.jpg

Congrats, 120inna55! That Streamline is one gorgeous razor!
As others have said, this is a heavily hyped razor. I was careful to avoid being taken up in such fervor. My thoughts are that it can't be that much better than my best razor. I have in my arsenal multiple Super-Speeds, Mongoose B3, Fat Boys, Progress, RazoRock Stealth Slant V4, RR Baby Smooth, Damaskeenes, 1912s, ATT S1, RR Wunderbar, PAA DOC, PAA Sidewinder, iKon 102, and others that I'm probably forgetting. Among them them, the 1912 is the best performance. When I was given the 1912 (Star), it was literally an awakening. I remember feeling the way I felt the first time I saw high-definition. I was told the Damaskeenes would surpass even that, but that wasn't the case. The 1912 continued to rein as my most comfortable and almost my most efficient shaver. After only 1 shave with this Ever-Ready tonight, it surpasses the 1912 by a large margin. The efficiency is like nothing I've ever used. It's even louder than my 1912, and I didn't expect that given the increased heft and density of the Ever-Ready. Despite all the noise, it was probably the most comfortable shave I've ever experienced. I found I could even be a little careless shaving my head taking long sweeps. No buffing necessary, but I get a sense it could easily be done with no ill effects.

I hesitate to join in on the hype, simply because not everyone will have the same experience, but after only 1 shave from this razor, I'm a convert if not a fan boy.

The one I used tonight is a 1st gen. I now have a 2nd gen on the way. I must have a backup!

...Next is the different attachment sites where the handle meets the head, and the different thickness of the necks of the handles (newer slightly thinner).
proxy.php
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I've seen contradictory information. In some places I've read the 30s had a thinner neck and other say they were thicker. You picture supports the thicker neck on the old. However, are these handles not interchangeable? Such that after all these years, mixing and matching could have taken place in order to sell the best looking set? I don't have my 50s set, yet, so I can't test this on my own. Can a handle be swapped between the 2 versions?

Yes, the handles are interchangeable, using a standard 10-32 thread. A modern handle can even be used with a setscrew.

I'm not sure about the handles. All I know for certain is that the later version can be identified by the smaller lather holes and slotted comb.

--Bob

Top Bottom