What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

It feels good to be in the company of others who value shiney things. I had always been hesitant to post razors I'd gotten replated by either myself or Chris, since several years ago I got some downright snotty comments from those who value crud, corrosion and general neglect of time for their razors. They called it 'patina'.
Go to any car show and you'll see cars that have been lovingly and correctly restored to their former glory. The old car with torn (original) canvas top & upholstery, weathered, oxidized paint, broken spokes and general decay, gets nary a second glance, unless it's by someone looking for an old hooptie to restore.
Recently I inquired about what a hollow ball-end handle in beater condition, but minus cracks, would be worth. My intention was to determine if the cost would be worth adding a replate to for use with a Goodwill that currently has a replica handle on it. I got wisea$$ replies and general disdain from the better "know-it-alls" something that took the joy out of my upcoming project.
nevertheless, i decided that the shave from that Goodwill was nice enough to seek out an original handle. A couple of cheap, junk razors with said-to-be uncracked handles are now on the way to me. Chris did the plating on the Goodwill head &replica handle. I hope to have a correct matching handle for it soon.
Until then, here's a few samples of the work Chris has done for me over the past few years. They were all cheap worn out & corroded junk, destined for the landfill.
View attachment 1467740
View attachment 1467748
View attachment 1467743
Behold! A ThinkPad in the wild! Now do me the favor, and admit you're a fellow Linux guy :D

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been meaning to officially join this club. I don't have my new light box set up yet but I do have a permanent home for it prepared on my newly cleaned garage work bench. The work bench was an embarrassing eyesore for too long. We just stacked stuff on it haphazardly but it's bare now....

So I got my three razors back from Chris Spencer.... well, I sent him two to replate and one I traded for one he had on hand.... Then I sent him my new-to-me Overlander... So I have 4 razors he's reworked.

Two British Flat Bottom Techs in mirror nickel
One British Raised Flat Bottom in mirror nickel
One Overlander in 24K hardened Gold.

They are all brilliant now. I couldn't be happier or recommend Back Roads Gold more heartily.

Throught the wonderful help of @mgweatherly and @Chris Spencer I have managed to obtain a beautiful specimen of a 1948-9 Gillette Aristocrat.

Just another example of the kindness and Brotherly love which makes B&B such a place of love and light, in a world increasingly beset by the darkening shadows of the cult of selfism and the loss of the sense of unconditional love to our fellow man.

My poor photos do not do the lovely work of Chris justice. It has an elegant understated plating, which in the light reminds me of a golden mercury, with almost a liquid gold effect. It is very etherial, and quite beautiful.

A wonderful piece of art, and I shall certainly be using Mr Spencer for other pieces in my small collection for re-plating and other work.

Some photos
IMG_20221019_171556464.jpg

IMG_20221019_171613396.jpg
IMG_20221019_171852726.jpg
IMG_20221019_171906001.jpg
IMG_20221019_171923940.jpg

IMG_20221019_171939438.jpg

I am almost afraid to shave with it, although Chris's work is guaranteed for the usual rigors of the shave regime.

I will closely follow the instructions on The BRG card provided.

The finest replating and tune up service currently available, without a doubt. I would highly recommend to B&B Brothers to make BRG your first choice when considering a replate and a tuneup both for beloved heirloom pieces or new additions to collections which need a breath of new life and magic!

I hope Mr Spencers business continues to thrive and grow, and again, my deep appreciation!

Last edited:
Throught the wonderful help of @mgweatherly and @Chris Spencer I have managed to obtain a beautiful specimen of a 1948-9 Gillette Aristocrat.

My poor photos do not do the lovely work of Chris justice. It has almost a liquid, understated plating, which in the light reminds me of a golden mercury.

A wonderful piece of art, and I shall certainly be using Mr Spencer for other pieces in my small collection for re-plating and other work.

Some photos
View attachment 1544613
View attachment 1544614View attachment 1544615View attachment 1544616View attachment 1544617
View attachment 1544618
I am almost afraid to shave with it, although Chris's work is guaranteed for the usual rigors of the shave regime.

The finest replating and tune up service currently available, without a doubt.

I hope Mr Spencers business contrinues to thrive and grow, and again, my deep appreciation!
His gold plating is indeed a very different thing than what you see on the vintage ones. I wonder if the old ones were ever that pretty. Enjoy your new Aristocrat!

Just another example of the kindness and Brotherly love which makes B&B such a place of love and light, in a world increasingly besieged by the darkening shadows of selfism and the loss of the sense of community.

My poor photos do not do the lovely work of Chris justice. It has an elegant understated plating, which in the light reminds me of a golden mercury, with almost a liquid gold effect. It is very etherial, and quite beautiful.

Some photos
View attachment 1544613
View attachment 1544614View attachment 1544615View attachment 1544616View attachment 1544617
View attachment 1544618

The finest replating and tune up service currently available, without a doubt. I would highly recommend to B&B Brothers to make BRG your first choice when considering a replate and a tuneup both for beloved heirloom pieces or new additions to collections which need a breath of new life and magic!

I hope Mr Spencers business continues to thrive and grow, and again, my deep appreciation!
That is a beauty my friend!
Enjoy it!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
This is from his website just now.

Back Roads Gold offers High Quality Razor Re-Plating Services at affordable prices. I restore vintage safety razors to a condition better than new, ready to shave with. I have been restoring, repairing and replating razors for over 6 years. I plate razors 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I have a plating shop in Billings Montana as well as Chloride Arizona, where we spend the winter months. I service Gillette, Ever-ready, Star, Gem, Schick, Above The Tie, Razorock, Rockwell, Karve, Charcoal Goods, and any other Double or Single Edge Safety Razor, Vintage or Modern, that has a base metal made of Brass, Copper, or Stainless Steel.

~doug~

This is from his website just now.

Back Roads Gold offers High Quality Razor Re-Plating Services at affordable prices. I restore vintage safety razors to a condition better than new, ready to shave with. I have been restoring, repairing and replating razors for over 6 years. I plate razors 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I have a plating shop in Billings Montana as well as Chloride Arizona, where we spend the winter months. I service Gillette, Ever-ready, Star, Gem, Schick, Above The Tie, Razorock, Rockwell, Karve, Charcoal Goods, and any other Double or Single Edge Safety Razor, Vintage or Modern, that has a base metal made of Brass, Copper, or Stainless Steel.

~doug~
Yep, I read that. Problem is that they usually close while they do the seasonal move. (while that happens, they don't take in any orders). And I'm wondering if he's currently in the middle of the move or already back up and running!

I'm thinking of Nickle for my Slim, and the Fatboy on the Loose. And a couple razors the gold wash is worn off the guards, that could use some more gold shiny on them.

~doug~
I had him do my Hoffritz slant in mirror nickle and it looks awesome!
I'd like the slim in the gold just to make it different. I saw a picture of one and it looked great.
And his gold plating is supposed to be really durable.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Yep, I read that. Problem is that they usually close while they do the seasonal move. (while that happens, they don't take in any orders). And I'm wondering if he's currently in the middle of the move or already back up and running!
I think I have seen some of his razors recently. I think the move was only going to be for a few weeks.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It felt sort of odd for me... sending a package to Billings, Montana. I was born there... moved around Wyoming and Montana with my parents... they moved back to Billings during the middle of the school year when I was in 9th grade... lived there until I graduated from HS.

I moved away for a few years after HS.... but my wife and I lived there again for one and a half years when we were first married. So my razors returned to my birthplace for their own rebirth at Chris' shop. <eg>

X

Just another example of the kindness and Brotherly love which makes B&B such a place of love and light, in a world increasingly beset by the darkening shadows of the cult of selfism and the loss of the sense of unconditional love to our fellow man.

Some photos
View attachment 1544613
View attachment 1544618

Chris takes some pretty good glamor shots of the work he does, and I just happen to have the photos he took of brother @Alum Ladd 's beautiful Aristocrat. The reflections in the doors in the first photo are amazing.

IMG_20221010_145849.jpg
IMG_20221010_145844.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have two of those late 40’s Aristocrats. I should send them for a makeover! That one came out amazing.
I'm pulling my Aristocrat out of the drawer at this moment. It is already in pretty good shape, but one of the end tabs fell down the drain and the gold wash is worn off the guards. Anything I need to know after I fill out the online form? Does Chris contact me before I send my stuff to him? Asking for a friend. Lol

~doug~

Top Bottom