What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I wrote the address for Wyoming on a piece of paper that is now refrigerator art.

Can anyone that is up send it to me? Otherwise, I’ll embarrass myself with an email in the morning.
I had the same problem on my last order. I sucked it up and emailed Chris at the time. It wasn’t too embarrassing. 😎 I assume you have this sorted from the above mentioned PM.

Just today, I sent Chris at BRG an Old Type pocket cased razor that was down to the brass. It also had a top cap the was stripped enough so it couldn't screw into the handle with the bottom plate attached (though the head assembly fit into my Tech handles as well as my EJ DE89 handle. The original handle is the ball end type with the Pat # on the bottom collar and in 100% stable condition (zero cracks). I decided rather than just a repair, to do the gold plating as the razor will live with my others and, as Chris isn't doing cases and the insides of mine should be replaced (who does that work??), I kinda thought of it as let the case and blade case live on in their worn state in the closet and the razor in its original state live on in my razor cabinet. Still, I hate taking something about 100 years old and making it look almost new. No more patina.

I say do what makes you happy.

I think of watch collecting. Some serious collectors consider anything that is restored, even polished, to have been molested. Many want the dial to show patina, and have no problem with hands losing their luminous material, or turning brown. To them it is part of the charm.

Good for them, but I also appreciate a nicely restored razor, watch, or muscle car. It's fun too.
Some things benefit from full, good as new restorations and some things don't. I don't like refinished antiques and I believe that market agrees with me. Same as previously mentioned with cars. I have mixed feelings about watches but a crudded up Rolex or Omega or Patek, looks like crap whereas one that's been serviced and allowed to keep some of its exterior patina is more debatable. As to razors, my feeling to date has been to only buy ones in good, reasonable clean condition and 100% operable as intended. The Old Type Pocket Edition I received the other day was going to merely get cleaned but then I discovered the cap's threads would no longer screw into the handle. Chris very patiently went back and forth with me on what I wanted him to do (replace a cap and polish the whole thing down to brass or replate). In the end, I decided to do a 24k replate that mimics the original finish. I want to use it as a regular razor. I've left the case and razor box as is. It's likely a mismatched set but might not be. Regardless, it's nowhere near what a collector would want but neither would a full restoration be. A collector wants as minty an original as he can find. Guitars are another weird category as are guns, coins, art, etc.

Wow, Chris took my beloved matte Timeless and made it even prettier. The pineapple handle doesn’t get a ton of love here but I think it is an engineering marvel. I’m impressed and cannot wait to use it. Here are his pics.
C591BFBD-743F-47D7-AA4D-1E9AD810AE48.jpeg
4B93A7AD-AE13-4C1A-BF39-02C3B63C56E6.jpeg

Sign me up for BRGAS! I sent my first razor to Chris Spencer, and he just sent back a true masterpiece! My New SC was a great shaver; now it’s a work of art! *(Photos by Chris Spencer)

Attachments

• D9F4C6D0-DEC9-4627-B899-8B44A19DF937.jpeg
    D9F4C6D0-DEC9-4627-B899-8B44A19DF937.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 1713F3FA-4F7B-4B13-8C32-09D57E3305DB.jpeg
    1713F3FA-4F7B-4B13-8C32-09D57E3305DB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 79738221-CE80-42A8-A26C-6923524835A6.jpeg
    79738221-CE80-42A8-A26C-6923524835A6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I want to add the BRGAS to my signature but I think I should at least look at the three razors waiting for me upon our return. I have a few months work ahead of me... shaving with the DE razors. I have so much to learn.

My Blutt BR-1 is out for delivery today.... as I said... months of learning ahead.

Add to that, I ordered some 7 o'clock blacks, following @Cal 's lead. I love the KCG blades but they are pricey so I'm taking Cal's advice, that the 7 o'clock blades are equally as good. I think they'll make it to our place before I do but they are shipping from India, so that isn't certain.

Chris is sending back the old Old Type I sent him with no plating left but is supplying two new caps (thick and thin) and all polished up as the original thin cap's threads were stripped. He saw the crack down by the ball that I missed with a 10x loupe! I also bought a gold replated New LC that I saw on his Etsy site. Buying that, he threw in the other work at no additional charge. I want to do more work with this guy!

I should have posted a photo of the Old Type as it is now. We left the handle alone.

The thin head on the razor, the thick head next to it and the original on the far right. These are simply polished brass, not plated. I want them to quickly age like the handle.

Gillette Old Type 1.jpg

Well that makes me think of a few things. I think he can do it because it's him and a small business which probably doesn't get as much traffic as it should. He's working in a small market.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't think lowering his rates will bring in more business but I could be wrong. I know, personally... I would use Chris at $65 just as much as the $55. Will $10 get someone off the fence? Or is it to be lower than his competition which surely exists?

I don't know the replate business so I should just keep my thoughts to myself... but it's B&B.. when does that happen? <eg>

I will say this, to repeat myself, I'm looking forward to getting home and opening my package from Back Roads Gold so I can officially join this thread. I am esp. interesting in the silver plate Chris did on the #44 he traded me for my #77... though I think the #77 might be the more rare of the two. Chris has it for sale on his Etsy site after a replate in silver as well. I've seen some raving reviews from the two piece Raised Flat Bottom but I really wanted to be able to change out the handle for one of Doug's handles. I did like the little Bakelite box of the #77... but I have two of them with my Flat Bottom Techs.

Top Bottom